Collectibles > The Vintage Collection

The Future of Star Wars Collecting?

<< < (110/172) > >>

Jeff:

--- Quote from: JediJman on March 24, 2017, 11:42 AM ---This was in response to the notion that we'd have to pay $20 for a SA line of 3.75" figures sold everywhere (not just at WM).
--- End quote ---

When I was talking about a $20 line, I had moved on pondering what the cost would be for a modern 2017 equivalent of the 2007 30AC stuff would be.  A line where you got a great, 9-14POA figure PLUS really nice accessories once in a wave - like Jawa/Ewok 2-packs, the Mositure Vaporator, Yoda's Kybuck, the Bespin Torture rack, Droideka with half-shield, etc.  Or giant-size figures like Hermi Odle , etc.

Brian:
You guys said it. We really had a pretty glorious and unprecedented run of great stuff there for several years. I think it goes without saying that we'd all like to see things like a return of super articulated figures, large accessories, etc. but times have changed. Personally, I have been buying the 5 POA stuff, I don't hate it, but I've been more selective and army building is close to nothing. I get most excited about the newest WM Black Series offerings, but also dread trying to find them. A happy medium would be nice.

Honestly, one of the most exciting collecting times for me was when the VOTC (and later VTSC) lines were announced. We had our nice, medium articulated line as the main line, then we could look forward to the (at the time) "ultimate" versions of classic characters. Sure, some could and have been improved on, but most were pretty nifty. If they just busted out that vintage packaging for a special line like that (offered at all retailers like VOTC), and we got 18-24 of them a year, it wouldn't be too bad. Mix in smart repacks like the Royal Guard, Ponda, or other army builders/main characters to keep costs down if you have to.

As much as my heart is with the classic characters, I think we have to realize that barrel is about dry. Finish out the vintage line, maybe update a few here and there if needed, but probably focus more on the newer movies. Then we could continue to get "ultimate" versions of main, primary supporting, and army builders while still having the more affordable (and profitable?) main line. Add in just a little articulation there if possible, and it would be nice to see a bit more in the vehicle/beast area.

As for the six inch line, I don't see why we can't have both. Sure, many have hit discounted prices, but I think overall the line still does have a fair amount of heat around it. I personally enjoy both lines. If I had to pick one, I'd definitely choose the 3 3/4" line, but I think there is room for both.

Darth_Anton:
I love reading all your well thought out perspectives. They help keep me centered when I'm taking a break from life, enjoying my collection and wistfully reminiscing about the good old days of the 3.75 SA line and all the awesome upgrades to ships we were getting, knowing that we'll never see that "golden age" again. It's life. We've all been a community for quite a while and have seen friends come and go. And our hobby must change just as life itself. Let's face it, some of us in the next ten or twenty years are going to look at our collections and try to decide if we're going to will them to our children, give sale and proceed instructions to our estates or find a younger collectors who will care for our collections as much as we did. Then again, maybe some of us will be buried with our collections.  ::)

Point is, I think may of you know I fall into the 3.75 SA loyalist camp, and although things aren't what they used to be, I'm still enjoying what little we are getting and will continue to do so for as long as I can sustain the hobby.

Matt_Fury:
My fear is that my wife sells my collection for what she thinks I paid for it!

GrandMoffNick:

--- Quote from: Matt_Fury on April  1, 2017, 12:49 PM ---My fear is that my wife sells my collection for what she thinks I paid for it!

--- End quote ---

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version