Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236493 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #120 on: May 8, 2012, 01:32 PM »

In regards to the Avengers I will be interested to see how the Hellicarrier performs at retail.
You mean the item that should be on shelves right now?  Silly Hasbro.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 8, 2012, 01:47 PM »
The jet thing that is around $30.00 doesn't seem to be moving in my area, so that doesn't appear to bode well for the Hellicarrier.  Never in my life have I gotten much into super hero stuff though, so I'm just a casual observer.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 8, 2012, 01:58 PM »

In regards to the Avengers I will be interested to see how the Hellicarrier performs at retail.
You mean the item that should be on shelves right now?  Silly Hasbro.

I can't see this doing very well.  It feels like its going to be pricey and just too small scale.  The Quinjet suffers from the same problems to a lesser extent.  I haven't even seen the figures move much, so I can't imagine the ships doing any better.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 8, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Sheesh, by the time that friggin' Helicarrier finds its way to pegs the movie will already be on Blu-Ray.

I think the concern over the MTT is warranted. I could see this going the way of the Mandalorian Assault Transport, over before it even started.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #124 on: May 8, 2012, 09:12 PM »

It really is amazing how poorly they decide on case assortments/wave ratios.  I really think that kills distribution down the pipeline... and they need to start limiting the first wave's production of a new line some.  Stores order so much of the first stuff then they don't want to order subsequent waves.  Hasbro should know this by now.

This has made me crazy for years.  I'm still seeing sections filled with the TPM wave, and I have not seen a single figure past that.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #125 on: May 8, 2012, 10:46 PM »

It really is amazing how poorly they decide on case assortments/wave ratios.  I really think that kills distribution down the pipeline... and they need to start limiting the first wave's production of a new line some.  Stores order so much of the first stuff then they don't want to order subsequent waves.  Hasbro should know this by now.

This has made me crazy for years.  I'm still seeing sections filled with the TPM wave, and I have not seen a single figure past that.

It's like 1999 all over again!

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 9, 2012, 11:28 AM »

In my area, most of the problem has come from the figures from Wave 1 carried forward into the BluRay Deleted Scenes wave.

For example - 1 Toys R Us is sitting on a whopping four different figures - Qui Gon Jinn, Naboo Trooper, Quinlan Vos & Queen Amidala.

Now I recognize that the TWO Queen Amidala figures are from their shipments of Wave 1, but this store got hit pretty heavy with the Deleted Scene wave - I would say at least 7 cases all at once, and I'm sure that those cases contributed to the 8 Quinlan Vos figures, 7 Naboo Guards and 4 Qui-Gon figures that are also on the pegs.

The problem is that when you add them all up, it leaves you with 21 figures on the pegs - almost two full cases worth, and I'm sure ultimately the reason why this store hasn't gotten in any more Vintage figures since that Wave 2 push back in February.

From a business stand-point, I agree with any store manager looking at the bottom line and saying "well I have 21 Star Wars  Vintage figures in stock, why should I order more?"

I have been tempted to "help" with the situation at this store and acquire more Naboo Guards - but I already have eight open, how many more do I really need? Now if there were great head swapping opportunities with the head on this figure - the Rebel Honor Guard, the Rebel Fleet Trooper, Endor Rebel Trooper, Imperial Navy Commander, etc... then maybe I would be compelled to do so, but Hasbro has yet to learn how to make it so they have a universal neck joint for their human figures yet - and that is a totally unrelated discussion...

I know it sounds horrible - but at SDCC and CVI this summer, I really hope Team Dimwitz at Hasbro are there and get their assess handed to them by the fans/collectors...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 9, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I know it sounds horrible - but at SDCC and CVI this summer, I really hope Team Dimwitz at Hasbro are there and get their assess handed to them by the fans/collectors...

That doesn't sound horrible to me. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 9, 2012, 06:39 PM »

Horrible of me to say... but yeah - the "evil" side of me, sincerely hopes it happens.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 9, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Horrible of me to say... but yeah - the "evil" side of me, sincerely hopes it happens.

It ******' A will.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40 AM »
I was able to get some new figures yesterday, but the situation with the cary forwards really illustrates how much Hasbro is shooting itself in the foot. I know I'm sounding like a broken record here but -

The store had been completely devoid of Vintage figures for months. On Sunday, they put out two cases of wave 13, 10 sold immediately, 4 sold over the next couple of days. A new case was put out yesterday, 5 sold immediately, the rest are sitting with the others and will prevent new cases from being ordered. Where as the stores could be turning over nearly full cases twice as fast with 2 per case, they are now forced to sit on non-moving stock. A real shame.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 10:40 AM »
so, like
did they fix distrobution yet?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2012, 05:04 PM »
I'm really going to be curious what we hear about the line come SDCC time.  We've had down times before, and distribution has often been a problem, but this year seems like the perfect storm of things and it seems like change is/needs to be on the way.  It will be interesting to see a preview of what is coming in 2013 (they still haven't confirmed AOTC 3D), whether we see that at SDCC or at Celebration.

In regards to the MTT, it really is shaping up like that thing is going to be a dud.  I don't know that it would have necessarily flown of the shelves if it was released with the movie, but waiting until Fall might just kill it (combined with the price).  I really doubt kids are going to care, and I don't know that all collectors will either.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13 PM »
The MTT is looking like a tougher sell as the year goes along. This may end up at TRU and on-line, with big box saying no-thanks. That's just a wild guess, not based on any information anyplace-

The other problem is the combination of high price, low cool factor, and weak movie released at a down time for retail sales may make future BMF vehicles for the 3D releases less likely. I think the re-paint of the sweet slave-1 is a given at some point, but sure would have liked to have seen a stab at a decent size sail barge.

The lack of OT ships of any sort on the shelves for such a long spell is still surprising me.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2012, 08:42 PM »
And I figure that we'll get the Slave 1 repaint, the Falcon and AT-AT again.