Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236391 times)

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Who thinks this is a do or die year and SDCC for Hasbro? I believe its next year. Another year of this and I believe the end is here.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Not sure where else to stick this, but Hasbro's distribution problems have been solved!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/14/toy-thief-wanted-to-rip-off-stores-in-all-50-states-police-say/?hpt=hp_t1

They were shipping stuff all along, these perps were just stealing all the best figures!

LOL
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2012, 06:05 AM »
I can't remember where I saw the rumor this past week, but a blurb came out during C6 that Hasbro had gotten their license extended a couple more years 'til 2020.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?  I was really kind of hoping 2018 was going to be it.  If that's no longer the case, I'm going to have some serious explaining to do with my wife!
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2012, 07:12 AM »
I can't remember where I saw the rumor this past week, but a blurb came out during C6 that Hasbro had gotten their license extended a couple more years 'til 2020.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?  I was really kind of hoping 2018 was going to be it.  If that's no longer the case, I'm going to have some serious explaining to do with my wife!

In the interview with Curto/Burns, DDP mentions that the license now runs to 2020 and says that it is "public information" - so my guess is that means that a press release went out that indicated the extension of 2 years had been made.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2012, 09:39 AM »
That's the worst news to come out of the Con, IMHO. I was really hoping they would get a firm non-renewal from Lucasfilm so they could focus on pumping as much money out of the line as they can for the next five years. Might have actually lit a fire under them to get things back on track.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Official Hasbro Press Images Posted

Check 'em out and feel free to link to specifics to discuss the highs and lows and all that jazz.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19 AM »
What do you think happens when there are no more Star Wars figures to collect? Do we try to fill the holes in our collection? Does customizing become popular again? Just looking at the classic gaming sites, they seem to have moved to creating homebrews and finding obscure packaging variations of rare Atari games.

I wonder how much this hobby will change by then.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2012, 11:58 AM »
What do you think happens when there are no more Star Wars figures to collect? Do we try to fill the holes in our collection? Does customizing become popular again? Just looking at the classic gaming sites, they seem to have moved to creating homebrews and finding obscure packaging variations of rare Atari games.

Well, with the writing on the wall for The Clone Wars line, I am already looking ahead to how I will fill the void. I plan to focus initially on some very obscure alleged variants that have been produced, followed by foreign exclusives/alternate packaged items, followed by prototypes, and then finally turning to customizing to keep myself entertained.

I am also considering going back and picking up those horrible "realistic" Clone Wars figures from the Tartakovsky show. Man, I hated those things when they came out. Can't be worse than the crap they are planning to trawl out going forward though...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Just think of how many more Lukes, Hans, and Darth Vaders you'll have in 30 more years!!  That's an angle that kinda caught me last year when i finally stopped doing the carded figure game last year.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2012, 02:39 PM »

I plan on continuing to customize no matter what!   :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2012, 09:16 PM »
I think we've got a fair amount of life in the line yet, but if we do reach the point where it ends I'm sure I'd be buying something else.  I sort of get the feeling that if Hasbro lets the line/contract lapse, that some other company would love to pick it up just to do their own take (whether it be 6" scale or something else), so it seems like there would always be some sort of SW line even if it was a more focused "collector" line (exclusive to online, TRU, etc.)  Otherwise, I buy Marvel stuff too, so I'm sure there would be something to buy.

That being said, it would be a nice place to cut things off a bit too.  I've been putting off completing the vintage line (loose) for years now, and it is one of my "eventually" goals.  I'd probably move on to that, and pick figures up here and there while working towards that goal.  If I reached that, I would maybe look at other vintage stuff....or just save the money.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 1, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Just think of how many more Lukes, Hans, and Darth Vaders you'll have in 30 more years!!  That's an angle that kinda caught me last year when i finally stopped doing the carded figure game last year.

When I was filling my display cabinets with my collection, I was shocked on how many Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Vaders I have. That makes me never want to collect those characters again!
« Last Edit: September 1, 2012, 12:31 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2012, 08:51 PM »
This is more of a rumor I guess, but I noticed in JTA's coverage of NYCC, they had a Q and A with Hasbro where Hasbro said that "something new and innovative is coming for collectors and will be announced at Toy Fair. Jeff expressly stated that he hopes nothing leaks prior to toy fair. Apparently its such a big deal that it should bring back those who have fallen away from the collecting faith.... our interpretation, not his."

No idea what this could be, but should be interesting.  I wonder if it could be something like "build-a" environments or something, who knows.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I'd really have to be floored for that to be true...  Hasbro's got great stuff every year, but I think for them to recapture the lost collectors they'd really have a mountain to climb.  Vintage was supposed to do that for the 2008-2009 figures that supposedly didn't do it despite the BAD concept being popular...

I think you can boil it down to a line just costing enough to a point where you've lost people and things won't right themselves till they're back below the cost threshold...  These aren't necessities, and I think they've been pretty good quality for 6 years now...  longer really, but 6 great years of quality for the most part.  What idea can "bring back everyone who left" ya know?  You've been hitting homers for the most part, and concepts were pretty great.  You've been giving collectors almost everything they ever ask for short of Tonnika Sisters and Vlix...  What more can you do before you realize it's not the product.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38 PM »
You've been giving collectors almost everything they ever ask for short of Tonnika Sisters and Vlix...  What more can you do before you realize it's not the product.

Introducing Hasbro's Star Wars Action Figure Direct-to-Consumer Premium Subscription Service! For the discriminating collector!

Would not surprise me.