Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236444 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2013, 07:20 PM »
I'm with Ryan, I'll take him.  :-\  When it comes to Rebel characters, I love diversity and this works for me.  Most of it's made already, except a head and accessory.  I hope they get a nicer color on the uniform is all...  if that is the same uniform at that.  Actually several different but very distinctly separated and organized looking uniforms for Rebel Officers at Yavin.  There seemed to be a rhyme and reason to it too. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 21, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I'm down for more obscure characters like that medal guy... beats seeing more Qui Gons on the pegs, right?

In my opinion it's a good sign if Hasbro is looking toward making a figure of this character... because that hints that Hasbro is looking at focusing back on collectors for characters we don't have yet.  It seems when they do that, they succeed a lot more than when they repack the same figure over and over and focus on the kiddy stuff. 

I don't want to see him essentially be a Rebel Honor Guard repack with a new head though - for some reason that sculpt doesn't do a lot more me.  The outfit is fine, but something about the sculpt has always seemed weird to me.  Not sure what it is that bothers me.

Anyways, an obscure ANH character like this gives me hope we'll see a few more obscure OT characters made in 2014 as well... an Imperial officer borrowing parts from the Imperial Navy Commander would be cool, a cantina alien or two (or three), one of the humans roaming around Mos Eisley, the "tall" Jawa, another Hoth Rebel or two, a couple more of Jabba's pals, etc.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00 PM »
To me, the Medal Ceremony guy is like certain death for the line.  He would be like the Naboo Soldier of 2013.  A head scratcher of a figure that appeals to perhaps 10% of the collector market, and next to none of the kid market.  I think collectors need to be prepared to compromise.  Get on board with a figure line that has a majority of characters with broad appeal, and a SMALL minority of collector focused figures.

If Hasbro is interested in Rebel figures, I can think of a good number of other Rebels that would make for a more compelling figure than Rebel Medal Ceremony Guy.  Like?

Captain Raymus Antilles (RESCULPT)

Wenton Chan - Red 11

General Jan Dodonna (RESCULPT)

Del Goren

General Bob Hudsol

All of these guys are just as much if not MORE deserving of a Rebel figure.  And they're just from A NEW HOPE.  Add in TESB & ROTJ and there are loads of more recognizable Rebels than Rebel Medal Ceremony Guy.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2013, 07:00 PM »
If I had to guess, it's just because it's inexpensive...  new head, maybe slight new tooling, but for most part just an old figure with a minor tweak.  Like so many filler "slightly new" figures they've thrown out there.

Orrrrr like was said, part of a multi-pack perhaps, but I almost find that hard to believe.  I could see this being like the TRU Pilot sets though, easily.

That's if it's even happening, who knows.

I just would like him because I like about any random Rebel...  I'd much prefer getting the Vintage Endor Rebel redone, as well as the POTF Endor Rebel, and for that matter the Saga ones in the vest need it too...

I'd take a "Rebel Commander" from Hoth too with the big stache...  More of the Echo Base Troopers in general wouldn't hurt.

And I'd say Antilles resculpt is probably at the top of my ANH wishlist at this point.  The original figure's nice for cheap, but a new top-notch one would be nice for more.  I pick the old one up for cheap background officers and that's fine but I so want a more accurate (older) looking version in the right colors.

For that matter I'd take more Fleet Troopers...  Love to get a younger one, at some point...  holster might be nice.   :-X

I kinda hope sets like the TRU pilots expand to Rebel Troopers that way.  Non-helmeted guys need love.  Some non-helmeted Impy's would be fine too, for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2013, 09:58 PM »
To me, the Medal Ceremony guy is like certain death for the line.  He would be like the Naboo Soldier of 2013.  A head scratcher of a figure that appeals to perhaps 10% of the collector market, and next to none of the kid market.

He was a pegwarmer and not even a well made one at that. However,  your statement applies to a lot of figures. The kid market is so fickle that when fans use that as an arguing point they are arguing against a Star Wars line with ANY collector focus.

I think collectors need to be prepared to compromise.  Get on board with a figure line that has a majority of characters with broad appeal, and a SMALL minority of collector focused figures.

The majority of characters with broad appeal would be under 20 characters. Even characters with a lot of screen time probably don't have much appeal in terms of selling toys, Lando, Palpatine, Leia, Padme...

Why comprise towards that?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I think the problem with the Naboo Guard from TVC was that it was vastly overproduced... like almost everything else from the initial launch of 2012.  If they had a normal production run things would have been a lot different for that figure... and all of TVC for that matter. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Man, I would happy with them just rereleasing thie Hoth Rebel Soldier.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #322 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Man, I would happy with them just rereleasing thie Hoth Rebel Soldier.   :P

Ditto.

And regarding that Rebel medal-giver, I can honestly say that I never really noticed he was there. I mean, I know someone was handing medals to Leia, or Dodonna, but he's so insignificant as to not qualify a $10 purchase.

Honestly, after the comment from Hasbro about background Cantina aliens they're looking at producing this guy?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2013, 02:08 PM »
You know what?  If it's a new dude then I don't care who it is, I want him.  Yeah, there's 100 figures I'd rather have first, but it beats another Vader or Obi-Wan.

Practiced optimism my dear freinds!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2013, 02:57 PM »
You know what?  If it's a new dude then I don't care who it is, I want him.  Yeah, there's 100 figures I'd rather have first, but it beats another Vader or Obi-Wan.

Practiced optimism my dear freinds!

Only Obi-Wans for you!  :-*

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I'm just happy with any new OT character. At the top of my ultimate wish list though, is a newly sculpted snow-biker scout from the incredible cross-sections book with snow-speederbike.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I kinda hope sets like the TRU pilots expand to Rebel Troopers that way.  Non-helmeted guys need love.  Some non-helmeted Impy's would be fine too, for sure.

^ This.

TRU has had what seems like a lot of pilot sets in recent memory.  I think we need to see an expansion into more generic army builders - in the realm of ground troops. 

Rebel Forces
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (TVC, new head)
- Endor Rebel (TVC, new head)
- Mon Calamari Officer (TVC Ackbar, repaint)
- Rebel Marksman - NEW!

Imperial Forces
- Stormtrooper (Legacy Spacetrooper - Joe Johnston version)
- Death Star Trooper (TVC Imperial Navy Commander, gray paint)
- Imperial Officer (Needa sculpt, new head)
- Imperial Terror Trooper - NEW!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2013, 12:41 PM »

^ This.

TRU has had what seems like a lot of pilot sets in recent memory.  I think we need to see an expansion into more generic army builders - in the realm of ground troops. 

Rebel Forces
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (TVC, new head)
- Endor Rebel (TVC, new head)
- Mon Calamari Officer (TVC Ackbar, repaint)
- Rebel Marksman - NEW!

Imperial Forces
- Stormtrooper (Legacy Spacetrooper - Joe Johnston version)
- Death Star Trooper (TVC Imperial Navy Commander, gray paint)
- Imperial Officer (Needa sculpt, new head)
- Imperial Terror Trooper - NEW!

100% agree. We have way more pilots than ships for them to fly. Ground forces need some multipack love. And yes, I do mean SA figures...I'm definitely not into the 5-POA nightmare. Sure, figures like Dorme and Amidala don't need to be SA, but troops definitely do.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Troops make the collecting world go round.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Make 'em 5 packs.

Toss in Echo Base Trooper (minor repaint or new head) and Imperial Riot Trooper (all new). I'd ditch Needa's legs, too since I hated them on the old Death Star Trooper (it's that awkward looking right foot).

I only got one of the Battle of Endor sets (where'd they all go?) and passed on the Yavin pilots set.  I tired of pilots some time ago.