Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 236505 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2017, 06:05 PM »
Everyone has pretty much said it. So has Paul Harrison, for years now, but if he were to leave it at that, there'd be no site traffic or revenue, so...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #541 on: March 23, 2017, 08:05 PM »
There's something there to what you said McMetal in that I know I've had a LOT of what you said, in my personal life, and toys are kinda down my list.  I mean I love my hobbies so don't get me wrong there.  They're fun, but I have had major health issues since I was young.  I've been with the same woman for going on 14 years.  I've taken her sons as my own kids.  We've had football since they were 6 and now into college.  There is work work, side work...  I maintain a veritable fleet of cars myself for family.

I love toys, but I can't say toys make me mad.  Frustrated when I can't find what I want?  I can get that.  And like others have said, I hate Wal-Mart as much as the next guy but there's absolutely no evidence to even suggest that Wal-Mart  was in some "race" to get the exclusive rights to 3.75" SA stuff...  fact is, they may very well have been the only place to step to the plate to take those on even.  There's a chance we may be lucky they're out at all (perish the thought!) much less that they're out and we're all pitching a conniption about a fart crosswise with Leia's eyebrows or a misapplied paint app here and there.

Then again TRU Target KM and WM may all have been vying and bidding hard to get SA 3.75" in their stores...  but why don't I believe that to be the case?

Everyone's personal life is different for sure.  I just know personally for me toys are just fun...  and even though things aren't how I want them, and they really aren't right now, I'm always able to find things I do enjoy.  The Speeders in TFA (wherever the hell they were or weren't in the movie) all were really fun items to me.  I'm looking at 5POA stuff as at least customizable for me.  I'm in love with the SA Rogue One we got because man, I love that Jyn Cassian and DT...  I only wish I had 2 dozen Scarrif Troopers!

And today I got 4 Acid Rain guys in the mail and I'm a pretty happy toy guy today. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2017, 10:10 AM »
The distribution issue is a problem faced by EVERY toy line too. I see new Marvel figures maybe twice a year, and right now my stores are full of the same 2-3 figures that are going on 2 years old now. I don't buy WWE figures, but they change their packaging designs every year like Star Wars does, and you can find 3 different types of packaging on the shelves.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Okay, but to play Devil's Advocate the Walmart line is an "Exclusive."  We have almost universally paid higher prices for exclusive product, so the "norm" on SA figures shouldn't be $13ish, especially if you factor in they've bounced down to $10 and $6 on recent clearance.  You also have to factor in that there is some added profit incentive to sell that product in all stores versus just one retailer, even if the retailer is a big boy like Walmart.  I don't think it's beyond reason to say that a $13-15 range for SA figures could be both profitable for Hasbro and meet collector desire for something more than 5 POA.

Ok... so which is it?  You just said the norm shouldn't be $13ish, then you turned around and started talking about a $13-15 range being profitable?  :P

And, like we've talked about before, being profitable isn't enough anymore.  It has to be profitable enough to hit certain margin expectations.

This was in response to the notion that we'd have to pay $20 for a SA line of 3.75" figures sold everywhere (not just at WM).  My rough math is as follows: if a WM Exclusive costs $13, then those figures would probably be in the $10-12 range as a non-exclusive.  If Hasbro needs to sell for more than that to get to the higher margin expectations, a $13-15 price point should be profitable for them, while not moving the consumer's price point all the way up to $20.  I'm assuming the $13 was an acceptable margin for Hasbro, so with level costs (maybe even lower due to higher volume) and a buck or two bump in price, this should be margin accretive.  Make sense?  Am I missing something?   ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54 AM »
It's really tough for me to get worked up about toys. I've been collecting as long as I can remember, and like everything in life, things change. Who would have thought that after 40 years we'd still be getting new toys and new content, irrespective of their "perceived" quality?

There is not some grand conspiracy to kill the 3.75" SA line in order to up-sell collectors on 6". There are not Hasbro suits plotting the screwing of life-long collectors in order to usher in a new generation of younger consumers. The market is the market and the Hasbro's target market is children, not man-children.

Adult collectors have had an unprecedented run of getting some of the most obscure figures in any line, canon or otherwise. And there are more options than ever to cater to the adult collector with dispensable income in nearly any scale imaginable. If you can't find anything that you like, or if everything sucks since Disney took over, you need to rethink your fandom. No one is forcing us to consume the latest items they throw the Star Wars logo on.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47 PM »
This was in response to the notion that we'd have to pay $20 for a SA line of 3.75" figures sold everywhere (not just at WM).

When I was talking about a $20 line, I had moved on pondering what the cost would be for a modern 2017 equivalent of the 2007 30AC stuff would be.  A line where you got a great, 9-14POA figure PLUS really nice accessories once in a wave - like Jawa/Ewok 2-packs, the Mositure Vaporator, Yoda's Kybuck, the Bespin Torture rack, Droideka with half-shield, etc.  Or giant-size figures like Hermi Odle , etc.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24 PM »
You guys said it. We really had a pretty glorious and unprecedented run of great stuff there for several years. I think it goes without saying that we'd all like to see things like a return of super articulated figures, large accessories, etc. but times have changed. Personally, I have been buying the 5 POA stuff, I don't hate it, but I've been more selective and army building is close to nothing. I get most excited about the newest WM Black Series offerings, but also dread trying to find them. A happy medium would be nice.

Honestly, one of the most exciting collecting times for me was when the VOTC (and later VTSC) lines were announced. We had our nice, medium articulated line as the main line, then we could look forward to the (at the time) "ultimate" versions of classic characters. Sure, some could and have been improved on, but most were pretty nifty. If they just busted out that vintage packaging for a special line like that (offered at all retailers like VOTC), and we got 18-24 of them a year, it wouldn't be too bad. Mix in smart repacks like the Royal Guard, Ponda, or other army builders/main characters to keep costs down if you have to.

As much as my heart is with the classic characters, I think we have to realize that barrel is about dry. Finish out the vintage line, maybe update a few here and there if needed, but probably focus more on the newer movies. Then we could continue to get "ultimate" versions of main, primary supporting, and army builders while still having the more affordable (and profitable?) main line. Add in just a little articulation there if possible, and it would be nice to see a bit more in the vehicle/beast area.

As for the six inch line, I don't see why we can't have both. Sure, many have hit discounted prices, but I think overall the line still does have a fair amount of heat around it. I personally enjoy both lines. If I had to pick one, I'd definitely choose the 3 3/4" line, but I think there is room for both.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:38 PM by Brian »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 28, 2017, 11:19 PM »
I love reading all your well thought out perspectives. They help keep me centered when I'm taking a break from life, enjoying my collection and wistfully reminiscing about the good old days of the 3.75 SA line and all the awesome upgrades to ships we were getting, knowing that we'll never see that "golden age" again. It's life. We've all been a community for quite a while and have seen friends come and go. And our hobby must change just as life itself. Let's face it, some of us in the next ten or twenty years are going to look at our collections and try to decide if we're going to will them to our children, give sale and proceed instructions to our estates or find a younger collectors who will care for our collections as much as we did. Then again, maybe some of us will be buried with our collections.  ::)

Point is, I think may of you know I fall into the 3.75 SA loyalist camp, and although things aren't what they used to be, I'm still enjoying what little we are getting and will continue to do so for as long as I can sustain the hobby.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #548 on: April 1, 2017, 12:49 PM »
My fear is that my wife sells my collection for what she thinks I paid for it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 1, 2017, 01:15 PM »
My fear is that my wife sells my collection for what she thinks I paid for it!

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 18, 2017, 01:26 AM »
After Celebration, the future of Star Wars collecting is... good.  :)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #551 on: January 7, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Interesting rumor/note over at Yakface this past weekend -

"What is even more interesting is that we’re hearing of a potential scale change too (comparable scale and price to the 5” Marvel Infinity War line). That would essentially mean that there wouldn’t be two competing 3.75” lines vying for collectors dollars with just the Vintage Collection remaining."

So -
5" Kids line (Galaxy of Adventure)
3.75" Collector line (The Vintage Collection)
6" Collector line (Black Series)

If we've truly hit the point where Hasbro is abandoning the "3.75inch line is for kids" idea, it's a big moment for the line, the license, and the future.  Is this a last chance grab to re-ignite kid interest in SW figures? One last scale change money grab before they lose the license in 2020 (to someone like Mattel, who just lost their DC license, or even to Disney itself)?  Interesting times ahead for sure if the rumor is true (and let's face it - Jayson wouldn't just be tossing this out there).

Imagine an Episode 9 line where there are 4-6 new 3.75" Ep9 figures mixed in with 4-6 OT/TLJ/SOLO repacks across 2-3 waves.   Someone go ahead and queue up some R.E.M. for me:(
« Last Edit: January 7, 2019, 11:04 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #552 on: January 7, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Imagine an Episode 9 line where there are 4-6 new 3.75" Ep9 figures mixed in with 4-6 OT/TLJ/SOLO repacks across 2-3 waves. 

Stop it...my penis can only get so erect! [/Krieger]
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 7, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Interesting rumor/note over at Yakface this past weekend -

"What is even more interesting is that we’re hearing of a potential scale change too (comparable scale and price to the 5” Marvel Infinity War line). That would essentially mean that there wouldn’t be two competing 3.75” lines vying for collectors dollars with just the Vintage Collection remaining."

So -
5" Kids line (Galaxy of Adventure)
3.75" Collector line (The Vintage Collection)
6" Collector line (Black Series)

If we've truly hit the point where Hasbro is abandoning the "3.75inch line is for kids" idea, it's a big moment for the line, the license, and the future.  Is this a last chance grab to re-ignite kid interest in SW figures? One last scale change money grab before they lose the license in 2020 (to someone like Mattel, who just lost their DC license, or even to Disney itself)?  Interesting times ahead for sure if the rumor is true (and let's face it - Jayson wouldn't just be tossing this out there).

Imagine an Episode 9 line where there are 4-6 new 3.75" Ep9 figures mixed in with 4-6 OT/TLJ/SOLO repacks across 2-3 waves.   Someone go ahead and queue up some R.E.M. for me:(

I'm in for as much 3.75" as they want to make, but I passed on 6" because it seemed absurd to start over, and I'm not going to start buying a 5" scale either.

The idea of having like 5 or 10 or even fewer figures to represent an entire film in the collection seems completely wrong.

I suppose at this age and after 23 years of this, I'm okay either way.  I enjoy this hobby, but if they want to walk it back and make it far less expensive to keep up with, so be it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 7, 2019, 01:44 PM »
This sounds like it might have some truth to it.  Hasbro has the Marvel license and they went in this direction with the Marvel characters.  It seems like 3.75" figures have been fairly well phased out in that line.  There's the 6" Marvel Legends line and the somewhat smaller Avengers and Black Panther lines that are somewhat lower quality.  I think those *MIGHT* be 5" figures.

I could see the potential for Hasbro to try taking Star Wars in this direction.  But if they do, I want to see is Hasbro take the Vintage Collection seriously and not like some sort of special offering that only comes out a few times a year.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2019, 01:46 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback