Author Topic: Keeping Cardbacks  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Keeping Cardbacks
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Anyone actually keeping the cardbacks to the Vintage Collection, but not keeping figures carded?

Just curious if that's something any/everyone considered other than myself...  I just dug out my original VOTC, VTSC, etc. cards too...  Together, they're neat looking with all these new figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping Cardbacks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Although I have been trying to keep up a carded collection of the OT figures from the vintage collection as well, I've kept all the TVC (and VOTC, VTSC, etc.) cardbacks as well.  I seem to end up getting extras of many of the vintage collection figures (particularly "ultimate" versions and/or army builders), and I think I've kept all of those cardbacks.  Just something about that vinty look.

I used to keep all the cardbacks, but did a big purge a few years ago and trashed most of them.  With the archives available online anymore, it doesn't seem necessary.  I've kept all the VOTC, VTSC, TVC, etc., and I think I kept the OTC cardbacks as well....but the majority of the rest have been gone through and gotten rid of.  I actually have a pile of larger vehicle/misc boxes in our garage I need to go through as well.  Not sure why I keep them, just do.  I think I'll always keep the vintage styled stuff though.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17 PM »
I used to keep all of my cardbacks, and a lot of that was because of the now defunct Jedi Master Points.  And some part of me was enamored of the old character bios that had been on some of them. 

But then I had a couple of major things happen in my life.  First, a flood in an old apartment of mine.  It made me realize just how much stuff I had, and how a good deal of it served no useful purpose.  Among that was a lot of old cardbacks.  When had I even looked at some of these in the past 10 years?  And then I moved into a bigger house about a year later.  Again, I was left wondering "Why am I moving this box full of old cardbacks that I packed up who knows how many years ago and haven't looked at them since?"  So a lot of them went in the trash.

Fast forward to last month:  I was getting ready to send in my redemption forms for the Prototype Boba Fett mailaway.  I knew about the mailaway so I was stocking up on some TVC cardbacks as well as the CW blister inserts.  The CW & SL blister inserts have the UPC's on them, and if I opened up a CW or SL figure I would save the insert with the UPC and toss the cardbacks & blisters.  Then if I clipped the UPC from either a TVC card or a CW/SL blister insert the remaining cardboard would go in the trash.  There's no good reason that I can think of to hang onto the leftover cards or blister inserts.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36 PM »
I use to keep every card back I had until I setup my new office. Then I chucked the entire lot of it. I keep my original vintage cards for some bizaar reason. I have absolutely no use for that kind of stuff.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54 PM »
I used to do this, and I also used to keep all my ship boxes and such, because I have OCD and this mentality that "you never know when you might need a box for something". Space was becoming an issue though so I trashed the lot of it and now try to make a point to get rid of old packaging. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:24 PM »
I don't generally hang onto packaging at all, but the Vintage Collection has appealed to me...  Nothing but the figures though.  Something about the retro packaging makes me want to keep it some kind of binder somewhere....  maybe display it down the road or something, but for now just keep it in a binder in some decent condition.

I've gotten to the point I'm even kinda anal about picking up figures with only partially punched cards, or even picking up punched out tabs to put back into the hole if it's the right tab.

I open EVERYTHING, never hung onto much (some, usually for a specific reason though) packaging before, till now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Not only have I kept the TVC cardbacks, I've kept all cards (including duplicate/army builders) since 1995. I may have an issue.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31 AM »
A couple...  :D

First being, where you keep it...  datsalottacardboard.

There was a time I hung onto some I guess, but that was along time ago when I used to buy extras thinkign they'd make great trade bait till I learned better.  Long before there were really even good sites for doing trading even.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21 AM »
Not only have I kept the TVC cardbacks, I've kept all cards (including duplicate/army builders) since 1995. I may have an issue.

I used to do the same... Including all of the blisters. I even had all of my old LEGO boxes back from when I was 4. I've done 2 or three major purges in the last few years and got rid of almost everything save for a few LEGO boxes from my favorite sets and some Star Wars Vehicle boxes.

That being said I still have one of each Vintage cardback. I always cust the bubble nicely off the card. I've been trying to find a binder I like to save all of my TVC cards in.
"This is the way."

Offline MasterFisto

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 07:27 AM »
I throw all packaging into the recycle bin. 

I open everything, and rarely buy doubles of anything.  I may be one of the few collectors out there who doesn't really care for the vintage packaging; and I am glad to see that Hasbro is going to be retiring it at the end of this year.  I would prefer to see a larger bubble stretching over the entire card, only because of my hope that we will see the return of some neat pack-in accessories (yeah, I know: wishful thinking). 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36 AM »
I used to keep all of my card backs, then a year ago I tossed them all - what a huge, heavy box of cardboard!  I figured if I ever wanted to look at the card backs again for some I could go to the internet.

Now with the vintage line I have started saving them again for whatever (nostalgia?).  I do cut out all of the UPCs so they are not perfect or anything but I do remove the bubbles with a blade.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:52 AM »
I have so far but since I don't buy many figures in the first place, the few vintage carded figures I do have I've kept. I try to carefully open the figure bubble so it doesn't rip too much.  The ones I have (off the top of my head) are: Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Tusken Raider (from the early releases in plastic protector case); more recently (3 to 4 years ago): IG-88, Bossk, Snowtrooper  and more current (last couple years to now):Dengar, General Grievous, Magna Droid, new ESB Stormtrooper, TPM Darth Sidious, TPM Battledroid.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I used to keep all the cardbacks too but then over the past few months realized it was wasteful since I had no real purpose to keeping them. Why was I keeping all of those cards and inserts if they were just going to sit in a box in a closet out of reach? So what I've done is keep a sample of each series cardback (commonly a Jedi Luke or some other character I find interesting) and then recycled the rest. The cardbacks I've saved I'll be putting into a binder for reference.

For the vintage style cardbacks (VOTC, VTAC, VTSC, and TVC), I've kept each cardback (dupes have been recycled) as I intend one day to use them to make a mural or some sort of interesting background display in my next collection room. They harken back to the Kenner days and I can't seem to let that slip away.  :D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18 PM »
For the vintage style cardbacks (VOTC, VTAC, VTSC, and TVC), I've kept each cardback (dupes have been recycled) as I intend one day to use them to make a mural or some sort of interesting background display in my next collection room. They harken back to the Kenner days and I can't seem to let that slip away.  :D

This is kind of what I was thinking CH, and hoping to do something with them, at some point.

And MisterFisto, you're not alone in that thought...  I like the Vinty cards and how they look, but beyond that, they're ultimately garbage and I'd gladly see the Vintage Collection end, and figures come with 30AC type accessories, or Build-A-Driod parts again.

At the price the line is, BAD would go a long way to making you feel like you "got something" with a figure purchase. 

30AC delivered the best accessories this line has ever seen, and figures were significantly less than now, and I really miss that too.  Given the two choices, I think I'd lean towards BAD though since you ultimately get another figure...  Big accessories like 30AC had are difficult to do all the time too since not many of them are feasible...  boxes and things, maybe fixed Bar curve sections, but not a ton...  And not every figure got that treatment anyway.  BAD you at least were pretty much guaranteed a bonus figure if you bought a wave.  Sometimes 2 even.  You really added to your collection.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I keep the TVC cardbacks around, but mainly for the UPC codes for the mailaways... but I guess with those going away, I really don't have any use for them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks