Author Topic: G.I. Joe Convention 2012  (Read 14033 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Convention 2012
« on: April 6, 2012, 10:05 AM »
It's been rough going over at the Joe Club for the last couple of months, but they updated the Convention page yesterday with the first teaser of this year's 3.75" set and it's going to be the October Guard!  Or, some part of the Guard, anyway.

I'm really psyched for this.  It's one of the teams I wanted to see in the modern style so I'm interested to see how the Club pulls it off. 

I'm seriously thinking about ordering a set this year depending on how the figures look and what characters are included.  I'm also interested in seeing the 12" set again because that's going to be another Adventure Team release.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: G.I. Joe Convention 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Gees, I don't collect Joe, but I might have to bite on this. I loved the Guard back in the day... Of course, then I'd have to get the original 9 and some Cobras to go with them.... a slippery slope this is.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:57 PM »
The Club revealed the Daina Oktober Guard figure today.  Looks really good IMO.  I'm thinking I'll probably buy this set this year.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I said I was going to buy the set last year and I didn't but this one is almost essential. I'll have to see more figures, of course, but Daina looks great. Much better than the ARAH comic pack version.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16 AM »
The Club revealed the Daina Oktober Guard figure today.  Looks really good IMO.  I'm thinking I'll probably buy this set this year.

E...

I. Might. Have. to. Bite.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:17 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58 AM »
She has the A-Wing Pilot's skull cap.  Sweet like bearmeat.  Siberian bearmeat.

That's absolutely incredibly cool.  First I've seen them get their hands on a non-GI Joe accessory too, no?

I have a Russian tanker helmet.  That gives me giggles for some reason that she has a little tiny one, basically.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 01:49 AM »
Schrage is the next reveal. Looks pretty neat, actually.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:56 AM »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:03 PM »
I hope he comes with some rolled up cigarettes.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 04:25 PM »
another SW accessory...  Is that common of them to do?  I'd never seen it before, but that holster is Pilot Lando's.  I think maybe the older one, not the new one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Brekhov's a bit of a disappointment for me face-wise. Maybe I'm thinking of the 80s one and this is a newer version? He should have some gray in his hair and a haggard look to him. He just looks too manicured to be A Real Soviet Hero.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:33 AM »
I don't think that's General Lando's holster.  His goes under the left arm with the strap and this one goes over.  It's very similar, though.

I'm looking at that and it seems like I recognize it, but I'm drawing a blank on where it came from.  I was thinking Hawk or Recondo, but a quick check of YoJoe shows it's not them.  It could be new but the site doesn't mention it. 

It is a new head and hat, though.  I agree that the head sculpt isn't really the Brekhov that I remember from the old Marvel comics, but didn't he show up in the Image/DDP comics?  I forget, I haven't read that whole run yet.

E...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23 AM »
I agree that the head sculpt isn't really the Brekhov that I remember from the old Marvel comics, but didn't he show up in the Image/DDP comics?  I forget, I haven't read that whole run yet.

I'm not sure of the new comics, but I saw images of a Brekhov that is younger and dashing... he reminds me of beefed-up Flint.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Probably should have checked out the figure that they're reusing parts from first, that shoulder holster looks to be the same one that came with the RoC Destro figure.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 8, 2012, 04:31 PM »
The Oktober Guard is going to be facing off against the Iron Grenadiers.  Looks like they're using the IG's from the cancelled battle pack that was proposed either last year or way back in 2010.

I'm also digging the 12" Last Man Standing set.  But if I get that it's a follow-up to last year's set, which I already wanted, so I'll probably end up wanting both.  That's another $600 for those two sets....

Crap.

Maybe I should set my goals lower; anyone here going to the Con, that isn't a 12" collector, that would pick up the 12" exclusive for me?  Then I can just hope the 2 boxed sets stick around until after SW Celebration so I can pick them up.

E...