Author Topic: Display Cases  (Read 12122 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Display Cases
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:10 PM »
I heard about this on SW Action News this week, and although I can't afford them (pricey!), they sure do look amazing:

http://figuredisplay.com/

If you scroll down and look through them, you can see some really nice ones.  I like the ones resembling the "yellow background" of the vintage cardback backs, as well as the more intricate one with individual backdrops/names for each of the vintage figures.  If I could afford these, I'd be all over those.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Display Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49 PM »

If I won the lottery I'd buy two of these

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 11:49 PM »
That is pretty damn cool.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23 PM »
That's actually kind of what my display case for vintage is, in design, but not the cardback background of course.  Mine's just stained wood.

My gripe with that is you can't display the variations well then.  I'm kind of a stickler for primary variations getting displayed too.  It's great, a really neat idea, but wouldn't work for my collection display I guess.  :'(

I do like that the Rebo Band and blue Snags got slots in there though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:28 PM »
If I won the lottery I'd buy two of these

I think you'd need three - Kenner, Hasbro, and Kubrick.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:13 PM »
One Kenner and one Hasbro would truly look neat though, yeah.  no variations.  Just a big represenation of both line's then and now, side-by-side...  Yeah, that's a pretty slick idea. :)

That's the kind of display that might even look ok outside of the collection room.  :-X  Doubt many wives agree though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Wow, these are fantastic.  Does anyone know if they set into the wall?  Looks almost like you would cut the drywall and have this inset.  Some of them seem like they have lights as well.  Pretty amazing.  If I could snag one of these for around $200 I think I would bite. 

Scott - where is the one you found from?

Jesse - check out the site.  It says they'll custom build what you need for your collection, so I'm sure one with room for variants is possible.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27 AM »
That's cool then...  Wow.  I already made my own, but without the graphics...

They set into the wall just as you said Justin.  You cut drywall between studs on a wall, preferably interior.  Watch out for wiring, just plut it in and screw it to the studs once it's leveled and shimmed, and voila. :)

That's exactly what I built, except it's going to have beveled glass adjustable shelving and beveled glass doors.  There's an upper and lower portion, as it was fit to an area with a light switch and which was already damaged.  Still haven't bought the glass bits, but the shelf is in the wall and has been for a while.  I'm just such a lazy schmoe about finishing this project.  I was already onto something else, haha.  I should just go buy the glass and get it done asap.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:32 AM »
Sounds pretty cool - hope you share a picture with everyone when it's done!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Scott - where is the one you found from?

My wife bought them for me for Christmas back in 2001.  The company that she got them from went out of business.  It was some sort of GI Joe thing.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:28 AM by Scott »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Wow, those are slick!  Do they just have holes for nails or screws in the back?  I think I could get away with this easier than cutting into the drywall...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Speaking of display cases, I am in the market for some acrylic display cases for my carded vintage figures.  I have a bunch of them with the slide open bottom, but would like to get more.  Anyone know of a good source?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Wow, those are slick!  Do they just have holes for nails or screws in the back?  I think I could get away with this easier than cutting into the drywall...

Yes there are holes in the back spaced at standard stud spacing to screw into...they weigh a little bit but they really work slick

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04 PM »
If you wanted to do Acrylic, it's pretty easy to work with Justin...  It's expensive to buy is all, but working with it isn't hard.  A lot of what you want can be done by heating/forming actually.

If i get the glass I'll snap a pic when it's done.  I thought about snapping one while it's unfinished but it doesn't really look quite right, or convey well what it would look like finished anyway.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 08:00 AM »
That's actually kind of what my display case for vintage is, in design, but not the cardback background of course.  Mine's just stained wood.

My gripe with that is you can't display the variations well then.  I'm kind of a stickler for primary variations getting displayed too.  It's great, a really neat idea, but wouldn't work for my collection display I guess.  :'(

I do like that the Rebo Band and blue Snags got slots in there though.
The major variants are in there...  Vinyl Jawa, pin head Han, brown snake Yoda, multiple R2's...

This is pretty awesome.