Author Topic: JediJman's Month o' Vintage  (Read 52644 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JediJman's Month o' Vintage
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I've forgotten how Leia's helmet is in a completely separate bubble. I wonder why Kenner did that. Very pretty cards.

I'm guessing just to showcase the removable helmet.  If it is on the head the buyer may not know it comes off and if it were just packed in the main bubble it might roll around or get squished.  I really like that packaging though.

Sticking with the Endor theme, next up are Prune Face and Rebel Commando.  This one's for you, Dressel.  When I was a kid, I initially thought Prune Face was just one of Jabba's goons.  As I recall, I was even a little bothered about this guy because I felt like he was made up.  After all, I never saw him in the Tatooine scenes.   ::)  This particular Pruney is in pretty nice shape.  The card has a fair sized ding about halfway up on the right and some general shelf wear/scuffing around the corners.  The bubble is solid, but starting to yellow a little. Probably fermenting with that dried prune in there all these years.  The human rebel is in a little better shape, with a cleaner card.  There's a little bit of a curve in the card leading up to the top, but no scuffing or dents.  The bubble here is solid as well, but even more yellowing as you can see. 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:56 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Yeah, I never knew who or where Pruney was in the movie either.  He didn't look like a rebel to me.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I was the same way, Prune Face was always part of Jabba's goon squad.  He's still that way to me after all these years, you know, old habits die hard.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45 PM »
Friday's feature focuses on two more ROTJ rebels.  This time I'm showcasing two characters from the battle above Endor who were quick to figure out "It's a Trap!"  For your viewing pleasure, here are Admiral Ackbar and B-Wing Pilot.  Old Fish Face is on a nice, flat card.  It looks to have been punched, but the tab is still attached and I think just pushed back in.  There's some scuffing around the punch tab, but the card is otherwise free of any scratches or marks.  The bubble is yellowing a tad, though still really clear with no dents or dings.  Ackbar's staff is still taped to the side at the ready.  The B-Winger is also on a great card, so long as you ignore the giant hole blown through the top.  I'm guessing one of the hundreds of TIEs zipping around pulled off a lucky shot.  It's a little strange to see peg damage on this guy given that so many of these figures were still unpunched.  The rebel pilot's bubble is yellowing, but otherwise damage free.  Not a bad display piece given the circumstances.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:03 PM by JediJman »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2012, 11:49 PM »
So, I'm watching Super 8 tonight and loving it so far.  I love the interaction with the kids.  In honor of buddy films, I'm going old school with the next update to bring you Han Solo and Chewbacca.  Han's the big head version to match his big ego.  His card's in really nice shape - punched, but with little shelf wear.  The bubble is mostly clear, but dented on both of the top corners.  That's probably from the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.  At least he has that cool cardboard insert between his legs to...uh, what was this supposed to do?  Chewie's in pretty slick shape, with a nice flat unpunched card.  There are some creases near the punch tab and just a hint of scuffing near the top.  Chewie's bubble is ding free and crystal clear.  Two more great figures straight out of the Target Cantina.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41 AM »
I gotta say I'm looking forward to the group shot at the end of this.  8)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I gotta say I'm looking forward to the group shot at the end of this.  8)

That's what she said.  Zing!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Okay, getting down to the last few pairs of figures now and I've saved some of the best for last.  Monday's feature focuses on Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.  I chose these two in honor of Mother's Day...Leia actually does become a mom and Luke's occassional whining makes him close enough.  These are two of the original figures I did not plan on ever getting unless I found a super deal.  Luke has a big old crease along the top of the card, but he's in pretty good shape outside of that.  Very little shelf wear and a crisp, clear bubble free of dings.  He even has that weird cardboard insert between his legs.  Must refrain from more jokes...Leia is on a much nicer card.  It remains unpunched, but does have some scuffing, mostly around the punch tab.  Unfortunately the bubble on this one has several dents and dings and has started to yellow.  Somehow Leia's gun stayed attached, but she definitely has that "get me out of here!" look going on.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Must refrain from more jokes...Leia [...]remains unpunched, but does have some scuffing, mostly around the punch tab. 
:-*  I guess she doesn't need too many more scoundrels in her life.

These are awesome.  I'm envious.  I bet it would be super expensive to find ANH figures on Star Wars cards.  I'm sure you're happy with getting vintage ones, no matter what film is on the card.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Yeah, my preference would be to have the card title match the figure/picture.  But at $30-40 per card, I've tossed that out the window.  I'd have to pay 5-10 times that for some of these ANH figures based on what I've seen via Ebay.  This purchase did enough damage to the SW budget as is!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 11:44 PM »
Next up: Luke Skywalker Hoth Battle Gear and Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi.  This pair is inspired by Luke's escape from the Wampa on Hoth.  Poor guy is bloody, frozen, and miles from the base with no energy left and very little chance of surviving.  Then Obi-Wan shows up and says, "Hey, man up and get over to Dagobah, Luke."  Classic.  Luke's card is pretty solid, though there is a little bending along the left hand side.  The card is partially punched as well, but looks unpunched if you stick the tab back in.  The bubble on this one is crystal clear with no dings.  Obi-Wan is one of my favorites from this lot.  The card is punched, but flat with no creases and very little shelf wear.  Obi's bubble is clear and dent free as well - a rarity for me among the original 12.  The only downer here is that some fool put the price sticker right on the bubble.   ::)  Oh well, at least he's part of the Target club.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Time to unleash the baddest of the bad guys.  For your Wednesday viewing pleasure: Darth Vader and The Emperor.  Vader is clearly a broken man, and his peg hook is no different.  Really nice, flat card with minimal shelf wear, but the card is torn at the top near the punch tab.  This one hurts a little given the rest of the card is so nice and the bubble is crystal clear.  Great to have one of the originals in such a nice package, but it makes you want to go back in time and throttle whoever tore the card years ago.  I do love the Vader pose on the ROTJ card - that "Uncle Sam" pose is pricess.  And of course, I had to include the guy beyond it all - old Palps himself.  This was one of the original 3 figures I purchased off of Ebay before finding out about the rest of the collection.  I already have an Emperor, but this was just too good to pass up.  As you can see, the card looks like he's fresh out of a new Vintage Collection case.  Unpunched, just a hint of scuffing on the left, Cane still taped inside, and a clear, error free bubble.  Original vintage doesn't come any nicer than this.  These two were really great additions to the set.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Also, just a note that the Month o' Vintage will wrap up this weekend.  I have 3-4 more posts on the way and I've saved some of the best for last.  You will not want to miss the spectacular finale.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Today's post is dedicated to the little guys in the SW universe: Ugnaught and Snaggletooth.  Uggy is part of the Target Club with a really nice partially punched card.  There is a small bend on the bottom left of this one, but otherwise no real scuffing or shelf wear.  The bubble is still perfect with Uggy's toolikt still attached to side.  Red Snags is in even better shape.  Never punched on a sweet, flat card.  There are a few spots of wear along the edge in the picture, but they're hardly visible in person.  The only knock on this one is that he's dropped his gun, but who can blame him after 30 years.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37 AM »
Down to #49 and #50!  Saturday's feature is all about the droids.  Disney can have their droid factory...behold Arfive-Defour (R5-D4) and Power Droid! The card on R5 is fantastic.  Nice and flat, with just a tiny sign of wear here or there.  It is punched, but I think I can forgive that.  The bubble is in great shape as well.  No dings, dents, crunches, or tears, though it has started to yellow a little.  What I love most about this one is just seeing the figure with a perfect untouched sticker and paint.  Tough to find loose ones like that in this day and age.  The Power Droid is on a very similar card.  Clean and flat, just like a VC figure plucked out of a fresh case.  The bubble has started to yellow just a little, but is otherwise perfect.  Two cherry additions to the collection, both part of the now infamous Target club.