Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181945 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #435 on: May 9, 2017, 11:30 PM »
I'd be all over a set that had 1x of every part.

I kept hoping they'd do up some kind of box set or playset...  maybe when they put out that Sandcrawler playset they'll do a box of parts to go with it?  That'd be awesome.

I tried to get parts that were new (R6,R8,R9 heads) and I'll try to get the new Clone Wars Vendor Droid since that head is a new part.  No easy way to collect them all for sure.  I'm pretty jealous of guys like Pete or Jesse that have taken the time to grab most everything over the past few years.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #436 on: May 10, 2017, 01:04 AM »
I can't take much credit for the work just the cost.  my friends have a timeshare at WDW and they all take several trips a year between both of them.  I've just been lucky having friends go and be willing to Droid drug mule for me.  :-\

It'd be gnawing at me otherwise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I just got back from our family vacation to WDW.  I tried to keep things a bit focused on the droid factory front, at least with the astromechs.  I would up building a Disney version of R2-Q5 (for the life of me I couldn't find the R0 dome to make R0-H2 from TFA), and a white R6 unit with yellow markings.

I found the B-A-D program was only set up in two stores at WDW.  Tatooine Traders, which is located next to Star Tours in Disney Hollywood Studios, and at the Star Wars Trading Post in Disney Springs.  As for astromech parts that seemed to be readily available? 
-R2-Q2
-R7-A7
-R2-D2
-R8-B7
-R3-S6
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 27, 2019, 10:40 AM »
Went to WDW this past week. The Build A Droid locations have moved in Hollywood Studios and  Disney Springs. Both had same collection of pieces, and frustratingly missing one or two components for different droids. Like body and legs for R3-S6 (Goldie), but no dome; so anyone have an extra?
Also had bodies and domes in a few white/blue combos, but no legs to match. I even flipped up the filler tops to look into the bins and asked cast members. Still a fun part of the trip.
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Build your own REX-24..

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #440 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Phruby, no one can see the pictures you post from forums.wdwmagic.com.

Those picture end with "-jpg.number" at the end - they do not work with the [img] tag.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #441 on: February 28, 2019, 11:38 AM »
But the little black x's look awesome!  :)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 28, 2019, 02:59 PM »
I know the picture he's trying to show, I don't think those are build-a-droid/droid-factory figures, they are larger scale radio controlled buildable droids.

Found the pic:

Description from the article:

Build your own droids: Like the lightsabers, there will be a store where guests can build their own droids. It’s called the Droid Depot and it’s run by a character named Mubo. After choosing if you want to do a BB or R-series droid, you pick custom pieces, colors, and accessories to create your personalized dream droid. That droid will then be fully radio controlled and, if you guide it around Black Spire outpost, it can interact with many of the elements. There are also premade droids, like R2-D2, BB-8, and even DJ R-3X (more on him below).

And I would take a guess that the Rex droid is that DJ droid R-3X and he'll be premade.

So I guess it's possible that they are 3.75" scale like the other Build-a-Droid offerings and like those remote controlled astromechs from Japan about 12 years ago (which were awesome), the fact that you're able to put them together yourself sorta rules out the scale. I would expect the figures to be more in-line with the droids that Sphero released.

Edit - I was WAY off on that Sphero estimate, check out this pic from the D23.com website:

Gives a sense of scale of size of droid and it's packaging to an average height male.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:08 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #443 on: February 28, 2019, 09:50 PM »
Whew...  almost cared for a second lol.  Like the blind packs, I'm kinda glad this isn't another 4" scale to be concerned about.  I already still need to finish the protocol droids.

I do hope for more astromechs and protocols in the 4" scale though at some point.  My friends who go don't hope for that probably, but I do.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 28, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Thanks Pete.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours