Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181959 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #45 on: May 7, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Are all of these parts totally random or can they be assembled into droids that at least make sense?

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #46 on: May 7, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Are all of these parts totally random or can they be assembled into droids that at least make sense?

I think the parts are all color coordinated enough so you can make multiple droids from the pieces in the sets that make sense. 

For example, there is an olive green colored body piece, plus a white body piece that has panels painted the same olive green color.  You can therefore pair either one with an R2 dome with olive green panels, or an R5 dome with olive green striping.  Or switch them around.  Same with multiple parts painted the same royal blue colors or whatever.

I do know that their isn't an equal number of pieces.  There's like 25 domes, but only 12 different bodies.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 7, 2012, 10:26 PM »
I think someone mentioned this already, but I am too lazy to give proper credit. This will most likely be like the Lego store in Downtown Disney where there are bins of parts and you make the figure you want, Lego mini figures come in a three pack for 7 or 8 bucks. I would speculate that these droids would sell one at a time. There will be instructions to keep people from jamming parts into the case. (even though that is what is the most fun about the Mr. potato head).
   We did the Lego store on our last trip to Disney, and my son loved picking his own figures. I can't imagine what he will do when he sees this.
    Chances are though for completests that it will be very expensive to collect all the parts. I would guess two legs, a body, head, and Disney accessory will run about 12 dollars.
     I will buy a couple (read as many as my wife will allow) but I can't see getting them all.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #48 on: May 7, 2012, 10:52 PM »
What is getting me is that right now it seems like this really is going to be a Disneyworld - Florida exclusive, with no online availability.  It apparently won't even be available in Disneyland, CA!  Makes me think that this really is just an exclusive for Celebration VI that is happening down there - another little temptation for all those SW fans to pay the entrance fee for DW while they're there.  I'm on the verge of outrage...but am still holding out for some sort of official word from Hasbro/Disney about future distribution of these parts. 

I can't believe some webmaster hasn't been able to get the official word on these things from the collector's perspective.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: May 7, 2012, 11:00 PM »
There's been absolutely nothing to say these are going to be any more (or less) limited than other Disney Star Wars items...  At this point I'm not sure what to think and I'm not paniced.  If they become insanely difficult/costly to get, they're simply  not worth it to me.  If anything I think Hasbro's probably likely to make use of the parts that are new and put them out on their own.  These could wind up in the main line in some form at some point.

No need to worry about it right now since there's been very limited info on these out there...  Scum's rumor on them, a blurb in a tourist rag, and a lot of rampant speculation that I'm sure is being misconstrued as "fact" by many, the hobby being what it is at this stage.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: May 7, 2012, 11:26 PM »
If you go back to the original blurb in the Orlando newspaper, it said they were part of the goodies planned for SW Weekends and were actually debuting this week...

"An array of Disney merchandise was on display Friday. Coming May 10, just before Star Wars Weekends, will be a Droid Factory at Tattooine Traders at Disney's Hollywood Studios. It's a build-your-own Astromech Droid activity resulting in 3-inch figures that fit into other playsets."

If that is true, I'm sure some of the Florida locals (or the Disney blogs) will be able to start posting some news/info by the weekend on the way these are being packaged/sold.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: May 7, 2012, 11:32 PM »
....and THEN you can pitch a fit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #52 on: May 7, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I'm just a little surprised that nothing has come out about these being in Disney - CA.  It could either be because these are only debuting in Florida early due to the Celebration and will later come to CA, or because they are a limited release just to coincide with Celebration and then carry through a few months more.  I think (and hope) the first option is more likely.

I will remain on the verge of outrage for now. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 8, 2012, 09:22 AM »
They never say that anything is coming to the DLR. It just happens to always show up there too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #54 on: May 8, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Oh man, this is going to be very messy if they are being released in a few days. Panic, scalpers and frantic forum outrage could be coming. Difficult the future is to see, always in motion...
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 8, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Oh man, this is going to be very messy if they are being released in a few days. Panic, scalpers and frantic forum outrage could be coming. Difficult the future is to see, always in motion...

You forgot about the part about dogs and cats living together and mass hysteria!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #56 on: May 8, 2012, 12:36 PM »
You forgot about the part about dogs and cats living together and mass hysteria!

Yeah, your right. My personal hysteria for this series is alreadysetting in... ;)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: May 9, 2012, 08:59 PM »
New Group Shot of these...

oofah...

Clicky to check it out!

Dunno why that pic makes this all the more impressive and desirable, but it does.  I'd like at least one of every torso as a complete figure. :(

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #58 on: May 9, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Okay, that blue body in the back is waaay to similar to the R3-M3 BAD, and the red body on the left basically is R2-R9 from the Queen's ship, right?

Other than that, very nice!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 03:28 AM »
Damn, it could be worth going to CVI just so I can get my hands on some of these!  8)