Author Topic: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory  (Read 181925 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Exclusive Build-A-Droid Factory
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Pete, are you going to Disneyworld or Disneyland?  We are flying into DW on 6/4...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 11, 2015, 11:02 AM »
I've never seen anything new as far as parts are concerned.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2015, 02:57 AM »
I briefly saw Scott post in the thread you linked to that he's going with only new domes... how many of those are there?

Since Hasbro has made Build-a-Droids for R2s, R3s, R4s, R5s and R7s - the only "new" domes in the set are really the R6s, R8s and R9s - there are three each of those.

Color-wise, the problem is whether or not you care about the shade of color or mix of colors used. For example, the White w/Red Highlights R5 dome is pretty close to R5-D4, which they released using Build-a-Droid parts in the Vintage line. But the problem is that there's no "trunk"/"body" in the parts set that is comparable to R5-D4 since he has both red AND blue highlights - the White Body w/Red Highlights in the Disney parts set is unique in that way.

If you don't care about the shade of the color, you could probably skip making a droid similar to R2-D2 and also one similar to the White w/Green highlights R2 that came with the Queen Starship pack - those were both made using BAD parts, the only difference between them and what you'd get at Disney is the shade of the Blue and Green and the fact that the domes at Disney have holes at the top for the "hats". Continuing on the shade of color differences, the all-red Disney body parts are a lighter shade of red than the all red R2's body parts that came in that same Queen Starship pack, so again, all depends on whether or not you consider color shade a measure of "new"/"unique"-ness.

If you wanted to get new, unique droids, and keep the overall expense "down", I recommend building the following:

R6s:
White Dome w/Purple Highlights, White w/Purple Highlights R2/3/4/5/6/9 Body & Legs, White Middle Leg
Black Dome w/Silver Highlights, Black R2/3/4/5/6/9 Body & Legs, Black Middle Leg

R8s:
Blue Dome w/Silver Highlights, White w/Blue Highlights R7/8 Body & Legs, White Middle Leg
White Dome w/Yellow Highlights, White w/Yellow Highlights R7/8 Body & Legs, White Middle Leg

R9s:
Red Dome w/Silver Highlights, Red R2/3/4/5/6/9 Body & Legs, Red Middle Leg
Green Dome w/Silver Highlights, Green R2/3/4/5/6/9 Body & Legs, Green Middle Leg

There are a total of six colors: Blue, Yellow, Red, Green, Purple, Black - you'd get at least one droid with each of those colors either the base color or the highlight color and you'd get 2 each of the three new domes - since you have an even number you could get 2-packs and the total cost would be $65.85 + tax.

Don't forget, if there are any color combinations you'd like to see, just let me know and I'd be happy to put those combinations together and snap some pics. I have my "open" set of 57 droids on a shelf that I can easily access, so it's no trouble to do so.

Pete, are you going to Disneyworld or Disneyland?  We are flying into DW on 6/4...

We're going to Disneyworld - flying in on the 11th.

I've never seen anything new as far as parts are concerned.

Correct, the 25 domes, 10 R2 Trunks, 3 R7 Trunks, 10 Different Left Legs, 10 Different Right Legs and 5 Different Middle Legs are all the droid parts they've ever had (they also have the various "hats" but I'm not counting them). I think a couple of times the Disney merchandising folks have been asked if there are any plans to introduce new parts or the same parts we have now in new colors, the answer has been that they have no plans to do so.

The interesting thing is that the spot where the figure goes in the clamshell is big enough to accommodate a protocol droid, so I don't know if that's intentional or by accident - my thinking was that at some point they had planned on branching out to protocol droids as well, but have since decided against it.

My thinking was that since they had six different colors they could have at some point added purple and yellow base color parts, that way every color was used as the highlight color on white AND as the base color for each body part. The R3 with purple highlights on an all purple body would look pretty neat, same goes with the any of the domes with yellow highlights. I was also surprised, they never added a color like "pink" for girls to get into the action. I also wouldn't have minded an R2 dome with black highlights to put on an all-black & silver body, I think that would have looked pretty cool - it actually would have been neat if they had made it so you could make all-black imperial versions of each droid type available - as it stands now you can only do it with the R5 and R6 models.

The new All-Blue R2 droid that's part of the 60th Anniversary of Disneyland is technically "new" since from the pics I've seen there have been no parts in the BAD set so far that even come close to matching the color scheme they've given R2-D60.

Lastly, there's one more BAD, that even I don't have in my collection and it's the one that came in this set:

He's made using all of the same BAD part molds, but all of his parts have unique coloring. They had mountains of these when I was there back in January 2014, I'm not sure if they still do or not, I kinda wish they had made an option for getting the droid by itself, cause the colors on the fighter are hideous and I could care less about the Jedi Mickey. If I get to WDW and picking up R2-D60 is not possible (which I'm expecting will be the case either because he's not going to be available in WDW OR because he'll have been scarfed up in the previous Star Wars weekends) I'll probably grab one of these and have it shipped home.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2015, 08:31 AM »

We're going to Disneyworld - flying in on the 11th.

Sorry, all the BAD parts will be sold out by the time you arrive.   >:D
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Sorry, all the BAD parts will be sold out by the time you arrive.   >:D

Haha! Considering that I already have doubles of 57 unique droids, if that is the case, my wife and my wallet thank you. (I won't be so happy, but such is life)  ;)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Have you found any difference between the selection at downtown Disney vs. the Jawa Trader or Darth's Mall?  Just wondering if I should plan for my shopping at one vs. the other.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47 PM »
Have you found any difference between the selection at downtown Disney vs. the Jawa Trader or Darth's Mall?  Just wondering if I should plan for my shopping at one vs. the other.

My advice would be to start at Downtown Disney first. There are four building stations and traffic by the display is solely dependent on foot traffic through the store. If you are staying at a Disney resort/hotel with bus service - my advice would be to hop a bus from where you're staying headed to Downtown Disney later at night before the store closes and you'll probably have the display to yourself. I was there at different times of the day and each time there was an employee within earshot willing to help me out by looking in the backroom for any parts that were missing - even when I was there right before closing.

The problem with the Jawa Trader location is that as folks get off the ride, there is an influx of people every few minutes into the store and as such a new group of folks waiting in line to build droids, so I know at times they have limited how much you can build before having to go back to the end of the line, but that depends on foot traffic through the ride/park. Since you'll be going during a Star Wars weekend, I would expect it to be high.

I have never been to a Star Wars Weekend myself, so I'm not sure what presence they have had regarding droid parts in the Darth Mall - my hope is that the R2-D60 will be there in plentiful supply, but I don't know if they'll have the parts there for building individual droids.

So this would be my recommended order of checking:
1) Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney
2) The Jawa Trader
3) Darth Mall

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:48 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2015, 03:06 AM »
New parts coming to Disney BAD...

Ah, crap!  I haven't finished up the old ones yet.  I sure hope they don't swap all the old ones out for the new, or I'm in deep Bantha doo-doo...

With 3 new carded droids coming now too, I'm getting mildly nervous that this (exclusive) line's going to continue on for quite some time.  Not that I don't love me some astromechs (who doesn't?), but oy!!  Not to mention these things aren't available outside of Disneyland, like they are at WDW.  Sure wish they still had the "shopping pass" out here.  That thing was a godsend during all the Star Tours figures!
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Well, okay then... Interesting...

So there are 3 carded droids - Holographic R2 (hopefully it will still be available at the final SW weekend whe I'm there), R2-D60 at DisneyLand and R2-D23 at their media event in the fall.

Then, based on the picture, there are:
5? New R2/3/4/5/6/9 Bodies:
  • White with Yellow & Grey
  • Red with Black & Silver
  • Black with Gold Highlights
  • Gray with Yellow Highlights
  • White with Blue Highlights (not sure if this is new)

2 New R7/8 Bodies:
  • White with more Black Highlights than the white/black wave 1 piece
  • Blue with less White than the blue/white wave 1 piece

11? New Domes:
Silver with Blue R2 (not sure if this is new in some way)
White with Yellow R2
Gold with Black R2
Purple? with Yellow R2
Totally Clear R3 (no highlight colors? hard to tell)
White with Blue R4 (not sure if this is new either)
Red with Black R5
White with Red and Black R6
Gold and White R7
White and Blue R8
Silver with Black R9

6? New Leg Pairs:
White with Blue (again, not sure if these are new)
White with Yellow (hard to tell if these are new)
Black with Gold
Red with Black
Gray (can't tell if there is a 2nd color on those legs)
Black with White

And one new center leg color - gray

I would be inclined to think that the white with blue "R2-D2" parts are a carry forward from Wave 1 simply because they want to keep the ability to build an R2-D2 in the mix, but that is just a theory on my part, I will really have to scrutinize the pic against the pieces I have to be sure.

I am confused about the R4 dome, looks like another carry-forward piece, but again, I'll have to look over it closely.

I am shocked by the specificity of some of the colors. There really doesn't seem to be the flexibility of mixing and matching that the Wave 1 parts offered. I have to wonder if there are more parts coming and this pic is just a sample. From Wave 1, I have 2 droid designs for each dome, it will be a challenge to come up with multiple designs for some of these domes, especially if the Wave 1 parts are getting phased out, which I think they have to be, otherwise it's going to be chaos with multiple designs of red, black, white/yellow and white/black legs in the bins.

Was there any information on when these would be hitting the parks? It would be awesome if it was for the Star Wars Weekends coming up, although, with me getting to the park in the final weekend, even if they do release them for this summer, I bet many pieces will be sold out by the time I get there.  :'(

It would be fantastic if they threw a curve ball at us and released these parts all in a box set, that is definitely wishful thinking on my part...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:27 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Was there any information on when these would be hitting the parks?

According to the panel, this week.  Some sites were even saying the panel said "today" (meaning yesterday of course).

Haven't seen any reports of people buying them yet though...

edit:
Of course, as soon as I type that - there are pics of people with the new droids
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:52 AM by Jeff »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Well crap - that just about assures that by mid-June when I'm there, all the "new" parts will be sold out... darn  :-[
Peter

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Looking at the pic again today (last night was info overload), are a lot of these new BADs existing characters?

The one in the center looks an awful lot like the cancelled R8-B7?

Another looks a little bit like R5-K6 from Scramble on Yavin set.

Another one looks like R3-S6 aka Goldie from the Clone Wars.

Hmmm...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:44 AM by Jeff »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2015, 01:08 PM »
Please tell me those aren't a ton of new parts...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2015, 01:17 PM »
They are.

And indeed, some look to be movie specified dudes.  It was maybe the most exciting news besides the trailer, for me anyway, yesterday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77