Author Topic: General Madine  (Read 7884 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
General Madine
« on: May 3, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: General Madine
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2012, 07:35 PM »
I always had a soft spot for my Vintage Madine. I think is was the oddly sculpted "pointy" head which ironically is closer to the movie than the Saga version. Good stuff.

Anyone else think the Vintage figure looks like Steve Sansweet?  :P

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I always thought he looked a bit like Cary Elwes...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Not the most exciting figure when I was a kid, but he filled out the Rebel Leadership nicely.  I also liked the level in the Dark Forces video game where you had to break him out of prison.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2012, 12:35 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2012, 09:37 PM »
So in need of a good resculpt. 

By the time he came out in the vintage line I was into GI Joes a bit more, wish I would have had him then.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2012, 09:43 PM »
Wow.  The modern General Madine came out in 2003/04?!?!  I agree that it could stand to be resculpted.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:14 AM »
I never owned the Vintage figure when I was a kid...  He looked like my Uncle Grady too much too, which kind of weirded me out.  Having action figures of your family is just strange...  how do you incorporate that into your play patterns then, if you aren't into the figure itself?  The guys I liked always lived, and the guys I didn't like died.  I didn't dig Madine's look but he looked like my Uncle, so it was a real rock and a hard place.

His overly grey hair also was a bit of a downer...  His action figure looked completely inept as a man of action.

Add in that this guy's accessory was a stick...  WTF?

Figures need guns.  It's a formula that shouldn't be broken.  Even dumb guys like Lushros Dofine in his bath robe...  He got a gun and he was a little cooler.  Well, ok, not really.

Give Madine a Han Solo pistol so he looks like he could at least do more than point at a chalkboard for goodness sake.

Anyway, flash forward...

He didn't really improve and his head is less cone shaped.  Accuracy be damned, the cone shape bugs me and looks more like his one picture just looked bad than the guy had a conehead right?  Someone back me up on that, for Madine's sake!

The new figure had some coolness...  Namely, a neutral sculpt, and good army articulation.  Some of you guys are picking on him, but at the time he was practically state of the art.  Seriously.  Whoever the idgit is that decided, again, to not give him a pistol... fire that dude.

But the paintjob...  eh, at the time it wasn't the worst, wasn't the best.  That badge, man that's a ball dropped isn't it?

The figure's sculpt is nice though, generic...  I buy them cheap sometimes for head swapping purposes.  It's a shame really that he was a breath of fresh air in the line.  In the post ROTS world he's a downer, but at the same time I'd probably NOT cry if he wasn't remade.

Is it blasphemy for me to say that?  Well, I'm looking at it from the perspective that the line's pricey and I'm picky...  I just would put a lot of figures far higher on the resculpt list than him.  If he gets redone though, yeah, I'll probably be in line to pick him up.

Better have a damn pistol though.  Guys can't kill people with high-tech chalkboard sticks Hasbro.  Learn it.  Live it.  Love it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 08:06 AM »
Jesse, maybe he has a baton for leading the marching band into the fray while playing the Star Wars theme? 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:07 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Good point...  Like a Piper in the Blackwatch.  He's all man because he doesn't need a weapon.

Come to think of it...  the beard...  Chuck Norris is bearded...  he's the Chuck Norris of Star Wars?  Hmmmm, it's possible.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:08 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77