Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101396 times)

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 7, 2012, 07:11 PM »
It would be great to have Obi, Ani, and Ashoka released with the robes. That way Hasbro could keep the key figures on the pegs but I could justify buying them for an eighth time. The Rex rebel outfit has some promise too. It could head swap into some extra background rebels (that we know we will never see).

The episode was a lot slower than the teasers would have led us to believe, but I still think this arc has potential. Gorilla warfare could be very interesting to watch.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 8, 2012, 09:34 AM »
....Aaand we're back. To sucking out loud again.

I honestly did not think the show could stoop lower than poisoned kid's drinks on Mandalore, but they blew that right out of the water with that BEYOND INSIPID Twilight-esque crapfest.

Man, that was just embarassingly terrible. Who do they think is watching this show?!?! They won't make female action figures but they fixate on plotlines that would only appear to tween girls. Stop making goo-goo eyes at each other, you self-absorbed twerps.

"I know we've got this rebellion thing going on fighting for the future of the planet and all, but WHY DOESN'T LUX LIKE ME?!?!"  ::) ::) ::)

God, I hope they kill that stupid brat off this year.

Rex looked funny in street clothes.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: October 8, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I think it might play less into Tween Girls and more into "Attachment is forebidden" kind of foreshadowing Anakin, and forcing his hand with Ahsoka on the issue which is ultimately hypocritical of him.  Just seemed like that's what they're setting up, to me.  I didn't mind that stuff.  I minded the sort of quiet, slow nature of the episode.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 8, 2012, 09:09 PM »
This episode was definitely an exercise in plate setting.  There were some plot points that were reminiscent of the U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, with the Jedi being deployed to Onderon in a purely advisory role. 

The setting of Onderon for this story arc was kind of cool because the planet has been explored before in multiple EU venues.  If you've played KOTOR II or read the Darth Bane novels, you're likely to be familiar with Onderon. 

This Ahsoka / Lux ongoing story is one that I hope is going to lead to SOME sort of payoff.  The Death Watch episode from last season (with Ahsoka & Lux) was good, but I think 5 seasons in we need some payoff in the whole concept of "What's going to happen to Ahsoka?"
« Last Edit: October 8, 2012, 09:09 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 9, 2012, 10:11 PM »
I agree Onderon episode was slow, however it recreated some feautures of the rebellion

-Emphasis on women leadership
-Commandos and soldiers on camping with less access to facilities like complex bases or stations.
-Guerrilla aspect of rebel teams.
-Training could show basic teachings (where to hit and why, how to hold detonator, etc.)
-The word and concept rebellion is floating in the galaxy far far away, while the republic is busy fighting separatists.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2012, 10:12 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 12:37 AM »
That reminds me that I wanted to just say I found the bocce ball **** really silly...  First, that's honestly the best way to rid yourself of a droid that even Jedi are cautious with, and which have been shown to sometimes have shields and not have shields?  Here again, LFL has a good opportunity to dip into its bag of EU tricks...  Republic Commando, something the show's writers and creative minds have obviously seen and played, already has established a sort of good way to go about bringing down a Droid's shields if you're a small force...  Use it.

Instead though, they go with the "Bocce" method...  Not to be confused with the "speaking Bocce" with ends up with you sounding like Super Mario.  Can't they get equally frustrated at a more realistic design for taking out Destroyer Droids than their ability to gently roll a ball through it's shielding?  As the guys on the bocce court might say, cazzate.

Not to mention I found the way to take out an MTT a tad silly too.  I would've liked to have seen something a little more rooted in reality than the guys hopping on the tank, and opening the hatches (from the outside) to chuck grenades in.

A rocket launcher (already modeled and everything), Republic-supplied, would've made more sense overall, and made more sense that they needed a soldier from the Republic there to teach them how to use it as well.  Like watching Afghani's learning how to shoot a shoulder-fired anti-air weapon during the Soviet invasion...  It just would've been a little more realistic than people doing olympic sports on the gun barrel and opening hatches from the outside.  A bit too much of a kiddie vibe to a lot of that stuff in this episode, which already slowed it down...  so at least make it less silly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 12:53 AM »
A rocket launcher (already modeled and everything), Republic-supplied, would've made more sense overall, and made more sense that they needed a soldier from the Republic there to teach them how to use it as well.  Like watching Afghani's learning how to shoot a shoulder-fired anti-air weapon during the Soviet invasion...  It just would've been a little more realistic than people doing olympic sports on the gun barrel and opening hatches from the outside.  A bit too much of a kiddie vibe to a lot of that stuff in this episode, which already slowed it down...  so at least make it less silly.

Based on the trailers released during the summer, it looks like they'll be using the Soviet-Afghan war as inspiration in upcoming episodes. The trailers showed quite a few shots of Droid Gunships firing away on Onderon, Hondo Onaka delivering the rocket launchers/bazookas, and the Onderon Rebel chick shooting a gunship down. And I agree that the flips onto tanks and grenade rolling were lame in Friday's episode, and overall the episode seemed like a re-tread of some of the Ryloth arc.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13 AM »
The Ryloth stuff at least seemed a little "realistic" for lack of a better term.

This...  This just hurt at times to watch, from its military perspective.  :(  Like I said, too kiddie, no gritty.  I like gritty.  I think it appeals to both camps, but that's just me.  I think articulation appeals to kids too but last I was being told things like articulation don't matter and kids just like stuffing figures into vehicles...  1980's toy evolution be damned.  ::)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Why don't the AAT's hatches lock from the inside?

And one of the reasons tanks have anti-personnel weapons is to prevent infantry from running up and attaching magnetic mines, etc. to the tank.

Then again, when have the AAT's ever used their weapons. They never use the hull rockets. Those nubs below the front hatch are lasers, too, according to the Episode 1 cutaway tech book.

So, yeah, we have the silly manuevors to make some "jock vs. nerd"/pissing contest scenes.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 12:34 PM »
It just would've been a little more realistic than people doing olympic sports on the gun barrel and opening hatches from the outside.  A bit too much of a kiddie vibe to a lot of that stuff in this episode, which already slowed it down...  so at least make it less silly.
You hit the nail on the head here!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Why don't the AAT's hatches lock from the inside?

And one of the reasons tanks have anti-personnel weapons is to prevent infantry from running up and attaching magnetic mines, etc. to the tank.

Then again, when have the AAT's ever used their weapons. They never use the hull rockets. Those nubs below the front hatch are lasers, too, according to the Episode 1 cutaway tech book.

So, yeah, we have the silly manuevors to make some "jock vs. nerd"/pissing contest scenes.
Why do the tanks even need a robot to drive them?  Why not hard wire that stuff right in.  It would be like building a drone to be flown by a seperately built craash test dummy.  Stupid, and an issue I have always had with the Separatist army.  Yet, the vultures are actual droids with no pilots.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Maybe the Trade Federation designed them to be sold to organic armies?  Maybe the design predates the Battle Droids? The STAP would be another one, why isn't it just a flying drone?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2012, 02:47 PM »
What Scockery said...

I always envisioned the AAT as something of a tank intended every bit for organics as for droids.  The Neimoidian's have to have some kind of standing military themselves beyond mechanical I figure, and they need a ride...  and selling them to whoever wants them.

I thought, but could be wrong, that the AAT used other guns in TPM but it's hard to see.  I thought they used more than the long-range cannon though.

Funny though, none of those guns really seems like it's intended for shooting people already on it...  Actually most tanks don't have that ability at all, it's more a partner tank is intended to turn and one of the MG's mounted to either the turret or operated independantly by another crewman as with the .30 cal on a Sherman, were intended to spray a partner tank's hull and clear off any sticky people.

Speaking of sticky people...  How awesome woudl it have been if they paid a little homage to A) Steven Spielberg, and B) one of the greatest war movies of all time, by introducing sticky bombs...  you know, a bomb that sticks!?  Sticky bomb!  They could've completely incorporated explosives that are otherwise useless being somehow magnetically (or otherwise) stuck to not just tanks, but droids.  You could've really paid homage to Lucas' best friend, and made a desperate situation look even more desperate in the toon, and less silly.  Hell, you could even keep the droid coming out of the hatch and saying something dumb.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Front Runners

More tension amongst rebels.

Typical evil king who usurped the throne and his toady advisor (or snaily advisor in this case).

Typical old noble deposed king locked away.

Some new robot they won't make into a toy.

Why did Anakin and Obi-Wan take Rex back with them? 

Where the heck is DC nation? Did they change the schedule at the last minute? Comcast says Green Lantern and yet there's a show about dragons on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:21 AM by scockery »

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Did anyone catch what Dooku called the new droid general?