Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101449 times)

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2012, 11:46 AM »
What do you think the percentage of likelihood is of Steela's name being another Filoni nod to the Pittsburgh Steelers? I think he wanted another shot after it after "Goldie" turned out to be a bad guy.

She is pretty bad ass with Polomalu hair...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13 PM »
So, blah blah blah whatever, NEW DROID GENERAL!!!!

NEW DROID GENERAL!

No, I didn't catch the name either, tried replaying it 2 or 3 times too. Something like "Calamity" or somesuch thing. I'm sure it will be something silly, but who cares? NEW DROID GENERAL!

I realize it's pointless to even get excited about new characters on the show anymore, even new characters who would make totally amazing action figures, like a NEW DROID GENERAL! But still...

NEW DROID GENERAL!

;D ;D ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 06:31 PM »
I guess this ep takes place after Grievous dies...oh, wait...

Name was KILLANEE or something. I saw it twice and that's the best I could make out.

I peak ahead and this arc last 4 episodes total. It better pick up next week.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I watched the episode last night.  Honestly, it was kind of "MEH".  I saw some echoes of the Onderon storyline from KOTOR II, but aside from that I don't know if this really advanced the story of the series all that much.

The Ahsoka / Lux storyline seems to have been advanced.  The only notable thing on that front that was communicated in a halfway interesting fashion were Anakin's comments to Ahsoka about attachment.  An exercise in foreshadowing?  Perhaps.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20 PM »
The new droid general's name is Kalani, and he's a super tactical droid.

I hope we get at least a realistic version of him, I really like his design.

Here's a new pic of him from next week's episode ''The Soft War''.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:32 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, that design would make for a much better animated figure than a realistic one. And since there is only an animated mold for the Tactical Droids, let's hope Hasbro stays true to their own words and does this on the cheap by tweaking an existing sculpt, rather than wasting all that money to do one in a realistic style that will inevitably look atrocious.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Watched the episode last night...  A little action, all covert stuff, kind of interesting.  Less of the hormonal raging of Ahsoka.  I kind of figured the line about it being her brother was coming since they did look a lot alike.  Not like the Luke/Leia shocker there.

The tactical droid is cool I guess.  I like seeing the "heroes on both sides" as they say in the ROTS crawl, and so I'm interested in him.  It'd be neat to see other leaders make a reappearance though, especially if the timeline allows for some of the offed people.

Wasn't a bad episode, but still wasn't great.  I DO dig the city though.  I like the concept of the fortified cities and things, the insanely high walls with the gun turrets and stuff.  I like that aspect of SW, the whole "siege warfare" still being very important due to shielding and stuff.

I think it is funny everyone drives what appears to be the same car...  no color changes even.

I also find it funny that, with the king bitching he doesn't have good droids (he had Commando droids too, which makes that even funnier) they decide to send him another droid.  I thought maybe they were sending an organic military force of some sort, but just another droid...  and with the Rebels focusing military tactics on droid-only methods.  Just struck me as sort of funny.

That said...  I still hate:

-Hatches opening from the outside.  That's lame one very level.

-How lame the Super Battledroids appeared...  AOTC set them up as sort of badass guys, throwing the little ones out of their way, but in these episodes they've been insanely slow, and incredibly poor at tracking a target.

-Destroyers... Again, these things drive off OWK and QGJ in TPM, and instill some fear in them.  In TCW some half-assed trained people can take them out with a quick round of Bocce.

However, I did like some stuff a lot too, like...

-Spider Droid reappearing...  I liked them in the CW3D movie, and I thought it's a design we should see more often.  I'd like to see more of the heavy artillery too like the Octuparra Droid, and maybe branch out to some of the other droids that have been absent like Hailfire's.

-Humans seemed a little diverse...  There wasn't a cookie cutter look to everyone I though, and maybe it was subtle changes to existing models but I thought it was good to see.

-MTT being destroyed separate of the main characters for this arc...  I liked that.  It was nice to see them visually depict the growing rebellion on this planet.

-Sniper Shots to the SBD red light...  Those were established in the EU again, I believe Republic Commando actually, and it was appreciated.  Someone on that show's production team loves that game between the EMP grenades, the sniper shots, the Trandoshan slavers with their scatter-blasters, and of course the Republic Commandoes themselves obviously.

It's weird, but I like this story arc a little bit, just not enough to be excited about it.  I feel a little let down they've kicked off the season this way but I'm hanging in there for what I hope is big payoff.

On the issue of the Super Tactical Droid (that's really creative), I'd like a figure and the droids in the series sort of look realistic anyway.  I just think the existing Tactical Droid is pretty poopy as figures go these days, so I'd prefer something new since that looks a bit different I think.  Realistic or animated I'd probably be interested in that one, but the way things are going as I see it, realistic is what I'd count on.  I see nothing there that would make me think it would look bad, realistic.  It wouldn't look too different than animated even I think.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:59 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2012, 03:11 PM »
I wonder what better battle droids Dooku is sending along with Kalani? New ones, perhaps Super Commando Droids?

I know he's sending the droid gunships, but those aren't really battle droids.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:13 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2012, 01:09 PM »
MTT's deploy Super Battle Droids....maybe we can expect a CW repaint of the MTT with super Battle Droids....yeah, right.  :D

Why are there twi'leks and Ithorians on this world....because....STAR WARS.

Blowing up tanks and transports in public areas....shrapnel? Never heard of it!

Good king chose neutrality...What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

One way shield that let's stuff in? Prevents escape but someone shoot missiles through it? What?

White girl rebel got killed. Sooo sad. So sad.

General Never Seen Before Now had a change of heart. Yay.

They the let the evil king go?

Kilani doesn't seem very special.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:58 PM by scockery »

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Kalani was a disappointment, maybe he'll be better in Tipping Points.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:21 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2012, 01:18 PM »
I liked the ambush...  It almost had an element of actual strategy and military tactics to it, though I'm so fed up with them just jumping around like Jedi and opening hatches.

The jumping is really becoming distracting.  Nobody's naturally that acrobatic but a Jedi so you have to figure something else out for them to leap from rooftop to rooftop already, and for god's sake take out AAT's with mines and stuff, not opening hatches.  I know it's to appeal to kids and everyone's a hero and stuff, but it's really lame.  I guess I prefer gadgets to just suspending disbelief.

I didn't like them letting the bad king go either.  Shoot the guy, end the problem.

I guess magna guards were the new droids...  They're real tough, huh?  ::)

This arc has officially been a disappointment in my view.  Short of them really wow'ing with the rest of it, this hasn't been a great jumpstart to this season IMO.  I didn't dig the Maul/Oppress episodes much either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I do  miss the CLONES in Clone Wars. And heck, there was room to toss an underused Jedi in with Ahsoka, so she doesn't have to phone up Anakin and Obi-Wan every episode. Just feels like we are spinning wheels with a lot of uninteresting characters for a story arc that is cliche city. Maybe there'll be pay off next week...doubt it. This story has been at least one episode too long, and the whole premise of helping-but-not-outright-helping the Onderon Rebels is quite frankly dumb, since you know, it's a Seperatist held planet and there's whole war with the CIS going on. Did the Jedi/Republic have no plans to take the fight into enemy territory?

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01 PM »
SO BORING!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Better then school lunch episodes, but ya...where's the snooze button?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Yeah, this was a good example of an arc that should have been wrapped up in three episodes. They rush in, stop the execution, kill the bad guys, happy ending and roll the credits. Everything else just seems like fluff.

Kalani was a major disappointment as a character. Still looks cool as hell but doesn't seem to have a clue about a tactical response to a native insurgency. Someone call that Cuban general from Red Dawn!

Did Rex go back with Obi and Anakin?