Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101215 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Looking at the official site's page for this episode http://www.starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep504/

Onderon is made up of clones. I realized they reused character models, but damn...when you stop to look it gets ridiculous. Now I know why there's so many aliens amongst the population, to save money.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2012, 11:50 AM »
And....phft...the arc is over. What a waste of time. Droid Gunships were nice, but remind me how underscale the toy version is.

Guess there isn't diddly on Onderon worth Dooku commiting major forces to pacifying it. Alll it takes is a few illegally supplied rocket launchers and the Afghan Onderon war is over.

Killamee conveniently kills evil king (who was never shown to be a bad ruler per se aside from siding with the seperatists and deposing some sad old man). Freedom is restored to this monarchy  :P. Lux Interiour foolishly wants to align withe Republic.

And that was worth nearly 1/5th of a season?

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Loved the one Droid Gunship's "By your command." line.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I liked the episode, right up until Ashoka was hit in the shoulder blade with a laser blast from a gunship. All that did was break her concentration and require a band-aid. It would have been better if Lux would have fired at the cannon first and have the shot his the ground beside her and distract her. The fighting was cool though, other than the very Avatar influenced creatures they rode on.

Hopefully the next arc will be even better.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I am just watching "Tipping points"

What I can first comment is that

I liked the pterodactils, flying saurious....
they are beasts more colored than ever
but their wings look a cross between buterflies' and bats.

The paintjob on body and wings gave those dragons distinction.

The huge burden saurious in the market, the one which crashes two battle droids
is like a large dewback, nice try this time on purple.

The rest is kinda cartoon style, lots of details are improving now
but designers must focus on the heads of humans to insuflate
more realism. Some angles of Steela head are chooked.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 12:33 AM »
Thoroughly disappointed...

Where's the grit of Landing at Point Rain or the Ryloth story arc?  Or even the battles of the CW3D Movie?

This was very kiddie-like I felt...  Really detracted from it.

And I'm confused, but if the Seps are obviously taking over the planet, why again can't the Jedi/Republic openly interfere?  I found this whole thing a big letdown.  Season 5's eating it so far, and this series is losing me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Yeah, the Droid Gunships stole the show, and the Hondo cameo was nice, but overall MEH. It was a boring arc, but given the twin kiss of death coming up this season (younglings + Clovis) that may be the high water mark for awhile.

I don't want any toys from this arc either.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17 PM »
The younglings seem like the most interesting thing honestly...  Illum's already been touched upon in the 2D series and it was awesome.  Now TOR's expanded on it IIRC and I like that they're returning to it with Yoda who seems to be the kindergarten teacher of the Jedi Order.  I'm interested to see where that goes.

They really need to get back to good stuff.  Their shots of space combat, since the series is called "Star Wars" afterall, has me hopeful of better times ahead.

I'm keeping the faith I guess but this last arc was pure **** and feels like they really weren't trying.

I was reading some of the trivia for the last episode on SW.com and Filloni said the Rebels would use pack animals and stuff readily available rather than a big fierce cat...  Seemed like silly logic to me considering the Empire on Tatooine using Dewbacks and stuff, but whatever.

It made me think though...  You put that much thought into it, but then you don't think about people just opening tank hatches from the outside at all?  Where, exactly, are your priorities again?  That was a royally half-assed thought-process to me, but I guess I'm not making the series so what do I know?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31 PM »
I've seen fan made stop motion vids that were more entertaining and shorter.

If they wanted this story to have impact, the rebels would've been all but massacred and the Seperatists won. Then Palpatine rubs in the Jedi's face that only direct military action will liberate CIS held worlds.

Or (this is what I thought they were going for early on), the Jedi relent to direction military involvement, the Clone Army does arrive, but disarms the rebels and imposes martial law over the whole planet.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I really enjoyed this episode and the arc as a whole. The battle was exciting - I LOVED the HMP Gunships, I just wished they would have explained why these new rocket launchers were able to defeat them so easily as similar ones have been around forever. This show is still a bit heady for kids though I feel as the Afghan/Onderon parallel would totally be lost on them and as my wife said, the violence is a bit much for a Sat/Sun morning cartoon.

One thing I don't like is the fact that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka launch a proxy war via Hondo. Would Yoda or other council members approve of this? I doubt it, but maybe this goes to that "recklessness" that Obi-Wan and Yoda spoke of in TESB and how far the Jedi as a whole have had to compromise themselves as the war continues drags on.

I have a non-story related question. Why the hell don't they render Dooku with his cape anymore? I find it very distracting and I keep thinking we're seeing him walk around in his PJs all the time or something.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:17 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06 AM »
More expensive or complex?  They don't seem to like doing Jedi in robes too often, though this arc they seemed to do that a bit more as well.

I agree, it's not a good fit for Sat Mornings...  Friday night suited it much more as it's clearly aimed at more than just kids, but yet wants that audience as well.  I felt they really dumbed this arc down...  Forgetting the insurgent parallels, which I don't think they care if a kid gets it or not, they dumbed down the combat tremendously I felt, and just made it seem "spiffy" for eyecandy for younger viewers.

I liked the concept of orchestrating a war via the Rebels and stuff, I just felt they royally **** the bed on presentation.  Like I noted above, Ryloth, Geonosis, Cristophsis...  They've done combat scenarios far better in every season at some point.  Umbara, the initial episode with Fives & Co., Kamino, and for the most part all of their space combat sequences with a few quite notable.

This seemed like they were trying too hard to make it aim at the younger audience and more away from the adult.  Really disappointed me overall.  Stuff like this makes me dread the thought of them trying to do more toons at some point, for other eras Lucas may be considering covering.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Mickey Mouse's first order of business should be to cancel this bore-fest. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Mickey Mouse's first order of business should be to cancel this bore-fest.

Ouch.

Maybe they could make it better?

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 10:00 AM »
I'm all for clean slates.  Be honest.  Aside from a few moments, has this show really impressed you?

I agree with the sentiment that there needs to be more wars in the stars in Star Wars. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 12:43 PM »
I'm all for clean slates.  Be honest.  Aside from a few moments, has this show really impressed you?

Actually, yeah, aside from the Katie Lucas episodes (banking regulations, senate debates, etc) I think it's been pretty outstanding. I enjoy this show much better than any of the prequels. But I have always been a huge fan of animated fare in general, so this is pretty much a mash-up of my two favorite things.

I'll kvetch about the writing and story choices from time to time like everyone else, but the visuals have been amazing and some of the new characters are really, really compelling, IMO. I mean, this is what got me BACK into SW collecting again, after years and years of being away.

I absolutely agree there is room for improvement though. I'm not sure what kind of impact the Disney move will ultimately have, but I'm cautiously optimistic. If nothing else it gives them another cable option for syndication.