Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101370 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2012, 02:46 PM »
I'm all for clean slates.  Be honest.  Aside from a few moments, has this show really impressed you?

I agree with the sentiment that there needs to be more wars in the stars in Star Wars.

I've been incredibly impressed with it, at times.  Those times are long gone at this point though, as I found last season to be a bore in general, and I've found this season to be an even bigger bore.

So for my money I'm not totally against the show going away, if they have something new to roll out in its place.  Something of the in-between time of the two trilogies, perhaps, with a fresh look and fresh thinking.  TCW is a short war ultimately, at least on a galactic scale, and so it's a finite thing to me anyway.  I'd be fine seeing it wrap up soon I think because, to me, they're just not trying as hard as they did with some past stuff.  The creativity of some of those early seasons seems gone.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I agree with you Jesse. 

There has been some stuff I really liked in Clone Wars, but sadly it was all in Season 1/2.  Stuff like Rookies or Ambush were great stand-alone episodes.  Landing at Point Rain was awesome (with the exception of the zombie-brain-worm things - that got to be a little much  ::)).  Some of the Cad Bane stuff has been really great.  The Maul/Savage stuff had me excited that we were in for a good run, but then we jumped into Twilight-Moon-Rebellion-90210 with the ridiculous jumping, twirling, emo Rebels of planet boring.

I'm hoping when we get back to Maul/Death Watch, it'll all pick up again.  When this show is focusing on Bounty Hunters and/or the actual Clones and war, it tends to be really fun.  When it's focusing on politics, scandal, and the senate.  It's really quite bor... zzZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz.   
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Exactly.

An arc that had really good quality was the one with Plo Koon and the Malevolence...  There was a great set up, mid-point, and ending...  It included main characters, minor characters, space combat, ship combat...  Had it all.

When they touch on the real war, the point of a series called Clone Wars if you ask me, then they really do well.  Clones, fighters, space, landing craft, warring on worlds that don't want it sometimes... 

This insurgency stuff, to me, made no sense.  I still feel it was silly from top to bottom in its premise really, and then the dumbing down of the combat just killed it for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 1, 2012, 02:58 AM »
I wonder if they would keep this show around much longer, with the new movie coming out in 2015. Going to the idea of a "clean slate," I would think all loose ends would be tied up before launching brand-whopping-new material. It'd get too confusing with too much going on for Star Wars.

I don't see the point of expanding unnecessary arcs like the Onderon one into 4 episodes. It's 4 episodes of repetition and a waste. But I will say that I do think there was some pretty useful Ahsoka character evolving in this arc.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 3, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Oh, hey, it's that planet that was in the other CLONE WARS cartoon.

Yung-Ling episode....interesting, which of them was named Yung Ling? Seriously, this was mercifully brief, though did we really need Ahsoka in this episode at all? My fav kid was the Ithorian,  didn't care much for the Rodian, "Kid Fisto" bit was typically trite (how dare he use technology!) and there was the douche human boy , which is what we are supposed to think of him...even though he was the first to realize they were gonna have to split up and do things on their own, even if it was for an egotistical reason.

All familiar Star Wars species...and do all the women in Adi Gallia's culture wear those tendril hats?

Who gets to remove the corpses of failed younglings?

Oh, and all these kids will be murdered in the next year or so. Ha-ha...kinda makes you wish they 'd all have flunked out of the Jedi order, huh?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #110 on: November 3, 2012, 02:06 PM »
I thought it was I fun episode, and one that I could watch with my young girls (3 and 2) without the fear of things getting too intense for them. Sure it was kind of a fluff episode, but it was one that wasn't even supposed to be a part of the series. So for what it was, a stand alone, it was good. The Wookiee youngling was my favorite. I only wish we could have seen them as a group with their new lightsabers to cap the episode off.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 3, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Intense is being recruited at a tender young age by a strange religious order, then trained with deadly weapons, taught to master odd powers and put in perilous situations.

The Jedi are instituionalized child abusers.

I'm joking...I think.   ???

It was watchable. I'd take more one shots over another lifeless story arc. Why wasn't it supposed to be part of the series? They wanted to use Legos?

Funny, OLD FRIENDS was originally set to air...listed on the program guide. 

Oh, minor SPOILERS ...peaking ahead....this is the first of 3 youngling episodes... :-X 

See you in March, Darth Maul!
« Last Edit: November 4, 2012, 06:25 PM by scockery »

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 5, 2012, 10:41 AM »
I LOVED Gungi the Wookie. He might be my new favorite CW character.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 5, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I guess people like the younglings?

The whole episode reeked of "greasy kid stuff" to me, and I'd almost forgotten it immediately after watching. Just so much fluff.

The whole time I kept wondering "how did they get that temple on Ilum rebuilt so quickly after the chameleon droids levelled it?"  ::)

What was Yoda doing just chilling out there? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to send a hologram?

The Hammerhead kid reminded me a lot of that psycho robot from Futurama that is always trying to stab everyone...LOL.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 5, 2012, 11:26 AM »
The whole episode reeked of "greasy kid stuff" to me, and I'd almost forgotten it immediately after watching. Just so much fluff.

When I opened this thread just now, I thought to myself "oh crap, I forgot to watch this past weekend's Clone Wars, then when I saw it was about the younglings on Ilum - I remembered that I had watched the episode.

What a waste of an episode.

I'm sorry, but at this point, they really need to start focusing on wrapping this up and leading up to the events of ROTS.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 5, 2012, 11:36 AM »
A preview for next week's episode, A Test of Strength,

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/starwars/preview/index.html

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: November 5, 2012, 02:25 PM »
I loved this episode a lot...  Something about the Jedi training/Yoda episodes that seem to stand alone from the greater story (or at least they usually do), appeal to me.  I liked the Yoda/Toydaria story from way back in Season 1, for instance.

This episode slightly redeemed the season, but one episode a season does not make.  It was pretty slick though, and I'd take realistic versions of all the younglings happily.  Especially the Wookiee with underbite.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: November 5, 2012, 04:57 PM »
That little Wookiee made me laugh.  Anyone else remember all this nonsense from the Hasbro Q&A a few years ago...

Apparently Lucas has something against Wookiees being Jedi.  There's supposedly an edict for the EU that the only Wookiee Jedi will now and forever be Tyvokka and Lowbacca.  And apparently this extends to Hasbro not making a Tyvokka figure.

I guess LFL changed their mind and Wookiee Jedi are cool again... maybe now we can get our Tyvokka action figure?  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: November 5, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Cute = Cha Ching I guess.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 5, 2012, 10:16 PM »
That little Wookiee made me laugh.  Anyone else remember all this nonsense from the Hasbro Q&A a few years ago...

Apparently Lucas has something against Wookiees being Jedi.  There's supposedly an edict for the EU that the only Wookiee Jedi will now and forever be Tyvokka and Lowbacca.  And apparently this extends to Hasbro not making a Tyvokka figure.

I guess LFL changed their mind and Wookiee Jedi are cool again... maybe now we can get our Tyvokka action figure?  :P

I'm definitely happy to see the about face on the whole Wookiees as Jedi thing.  And Gungi was definitely one of the high points of the episode for me.

As for the episode as a whole?  I felt much more positive about this one episode than I did about the 4 part Onderon story arc. And to know that this story arc with the younglings will continue?  This season is starting to look a little better.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback