Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101413 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Hondo or his men talking about maybe killing kids...

Hey, Ishi Tibb!

Seems funny the master of lightsaber construction is an old droid, not an old Jedi.

Acknowledged  that Wookies with the force are rare.

Ahsoka "I don't want to kill you!"

That is why you fail. I like Hondo, but really...she should've killed him.

I think next week will show us that this takes place before the season opener. Actually, this one might have based on Hondo's men...I can't remember them that well.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I was awake at 8am a few Saturdays ago so I was finally able to add Clone Wars to my DVR list... recorded the last three episodes.

Won't comment on the last episode of that weird Rebel episode with the pterodactyls and the Droid Gunships... couldn't follow the story since I missed the previous episodes but it seemed really lame. Will wait and catch it on DVD.

The first Ilum episode was alright. I liked it, wasn't exciting but it was one of those episodes that does a great job of making Yoda feel like OT Yoda. Wookiee Youngling was AWESOME. Not sure why Ahsoka would be accompanying Younglings on that quest though, it seems like that's something that a stronger Jedi would be doing, or even a Master with an individual Apprentice.

The second episode (this week's) again was alright. Again not sure why Ahsoka is in charge of so many Younglings on such a large ship by herself. Hondo and the Weequay pirates were pretty cool. I kinda liked the droid lightsaber master. Was kinda hoping to see one of the Younglings build their saber during the chaos, maybe have the Show Off kill a pirate just because.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2012, 07:25 PM »
This was an episode more for kids, the fight of Ashoka and Hondo was naif: too many jumps and very few techniques.

The engenneer professor droid looked curious, a brand new animation, that could have a reminicense to Dexter´s bar on Coruscant.

But deep inside the naivité of the episode is a bit of darkness when the human youngling killed one weequay by short circuit of the light saber.

The robot told it was due the circumstances, but at last, even younglings could be forced to kill.

I think as animation got haste at the end of the episode, to end a fight or close the emission, the pirates were bouncing on the walls, the corridors like puppets or plastiline figures who never arrived to break apart.

This need revision, 3d animation is not perfect yet, better they simplify some scenes, instead of lots of marionettes they couldn´t handle properly.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:26 PM by EpicGon »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Huyang was sweet, and Dr Who did a nice job with the voice-over work. I think the whole shtick seemed a little reminiscent of Harry Potter and the wand-maker Ollivander but whateves.

So how come the little dopes couldn't just roll up their sleeves and bust out a sonic screwdriver to put those lightsabers together? Do you guys use the force to fix a sandwich too? Sheesh! Luke didn't need to levitate no little pieces together on Tattooine, he put that stuff together OLD SCHOOL!  ;D

If those damn crystals are so precious, why is there no security whatsoever to accompany them? Why couldn't they send a distress signal to the Jedi Council?

I think it would have made more sense to use random, non-Hondo affiliated pirates. Dude killing little kids is a little f-ing dark. That seems way over the line from what we've seen them establish for him character-wise to this point. Profit or not, that's beyond the pale.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I think it would have made more sense to use random, non-Hondo affiliated pirates. Dude killing little kids is a little f-ing dark. That seems way over the line from what we've seen them establish for him character-wise to this point. Profit or not, that's beyond the pale.

Especially when you also factor in the recent Onderon arc where Hondo got the weapons to the Rebellion and the Confederacy started attacking and Hondo was like "Oh my, look at the time, I think I need to be going..." - he was a great bit of comic relief there, almost like the Pirate with a "Heart of Gold".

Flash forward to two weeks later and he's like "Yeah, I like killing kids and eating their hearts too - as long as it makes me rich!"

Huh?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2012, 07:38 PM »
I think Hondo's key character element is selfishness. He had nothing to gain from helping the rebels on Onderon. He already was paid handsomely. He did not bring weapons to be a nice guy, and I get the impression based on the Dooku/Ani/Obi ransom episode that if he could have turned that situation into his monetary favor he would have.
     Also remember Hondo was gunning down little farmers for spices before Anakin, Obi, and Ahsoka stepped in during the bounty hunters episode. Children are not too far from there.
     I think this wrinkle in Hondo's character is hard or a lot of us to swallow because we want him to be the lovable scoundrel that Han Solo was for us in the OT. (because sometimes he as been)Turns out most bad guys don't have a heart of gold.
     It does seems a bit unrealistic that he crystals are worth so much though. If they were, would not every padawon be gunned down by a headhunting sniper?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I think Hondo's a little bit Han Solo without the Wookiee conscious over his shoulder.

Not that Han would kill kids I guess, though who knows.  He's pretty much a selfish prick in ANH and Chewbacca seems to guilt him a bit to make him think about what's right.  That was played out in the Radio Drama a little more too before they leave Mos Eisley.

I liked Hondo well enough this week...  He's funny enough, but still a pirate.  Money makes him happy, and his men, and he's happy to do whatever is necessary to get it.

What I didn't like...  how did they get sucked out of one ship, and into another?  I am no space expert, but I don't think you could just float from one ship to another in deep space, without a suit, without suffering some damage.  I can only suspend disbelief so far, ya know?  And that was my breaking point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2012, 04:26 AM »
    I think this wrinkle in Hondo's character is hard or a lot of us to swallow because we want him to be the lovable scoundrel that Han Solo was for us in the OT. (because sometimes he as been)Turns out most bad guys don't have a heart of gold.

I gotta say, this argument really won me over, because I was just so confused as to how unagreeable this portrayal of Hondo has been with his previous appearances. But what you said here really does make sense; he is a pirate, after all.

I hate to say it, but this would have been a perfect and dramatic episode to kill off Hondo. When he and Ahsoka were crossing swords and he was saying something to her and she gave him that final warning, I was on the edge of my seat because I thought she was totally gonna gut him. Oh well. ::) Woulda been some great character development on her part as a maturing Jedi because she knows how Hondo has been a help in the past.

I remember my little sister was watching this too when Hondo said he was gonna turn Ahsoka into profit. AWKWARD! My sister said, "He's gonna sell her?!", and I of course was rolling my eyes because Hondo's line can be so misconstrued into something, well, completely not right. :o
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40 AM »
 :o

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Damn, that red deco Y-Wing Bomber would have been a sweet addition to this line. Nice to see the Droid Gunships in action too. It almost looked like they were deploying SBD's.

Probably would be a good idea to install some of those brace shields on the Jedi cruisers too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2012, 12:26 PM »
So, the Jedi insufficiently protecting their youngling ceremonies leads to the death of hundreds.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Noticed the Y-Wing's engine struts in the burning hulk?  Pretty cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2012, 03:55 PM »
It was about time we got to see Grievous's trademark move again...TIME TO ABANDON SHIP!

Space battle was rather arbitrary...but welcome.

Did want to pay David Tennant for this episode.

And...why would a space circus perform for pirates that had previously killed members of the troupe?

Somehow the kids are less annoying than the Onderon arc characters.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I like the kids...  I get the circus thing being for kiddie entertainment but I agree, it was sort of poorly thought-out.  That said, it's all far better than Onderon...  It all, almost, makes sense.

That Wookiee kid is, as far as I'm concerned, the best candidate for a figure the CW has produced in the past 3 years IMO.  I'd love some Younglings though, and would buy any of them if they were realistic.

I loved Hondo this episode...  Just a drunken, whoring, goofball.  They're trying, a little bit, to give him some Jack Sparrow I think, and I like it.

I thought the spacebattle was actually kind of important for a couple reasons...  One, to me, they needed to get back to the war, in a big way, and this was a good way to do it.  Kenobi's just buzzing around and boom, enemy fleet.

Second though, I liked that they put Kenobi off in what seems like a whole new story arc...  He's now adrift it seemed, as I didn't see any surviving Republic ships.  Where's that going then?  They could just leave it to off-screen explanation that he just escapes and everything's hunky dory.

On the third thought though, the spacebattle set up the Younglings and their whole story...  It seems like it might not be over too, but I guess next episode we'll see what way they're going, be it Kenobi or Ahsoka/Younglings.