Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101453 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2013, 09:22 AM »
How does someone hold on and survive having the door open during a hyperspace jump? Wouldn't the ship implode from the air being sucked out at light speed? Why turn on holograms of the crew? Who is looking in the window at light speed?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2013, 02:42 PM »
The door thing, I dunno.  There's not a lot known about hyperspace for some reason.

In another game, damage on the ship seems to react to the "tube" they're in while escaping, with electric arcs zipping from the tube to the ship and back.  It's weird really that there isn't a lot of detail on hyperspace travel itself, and what can and can't be done during it.

On the holographic guys, I figured that was if they tried to communicate with the ship they'd get some recording from the guys, and maybe buy more time for the ship to get close to the station.  They didn't try so it was a moot point but I can see the precaution I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2013, 09:34 PM »
In X-Wing the Alliance steals a shuttle and delivers an explosive to a Destroyer hidden amongst the stolen shuttle's original cargo.  It's one of the first, or an early anyway, destruction of a Destroyer I guess.

Anyway, basically, it was a billion times more plausible than this whole arc, and it was a 30 second cut scene in a game from the 1990's.

Another scenario had them taking a Corvette, setting it to autopilot a course at an Imperial Drydock that would have it basically ram through the command towers of destroyer after destroyer that were docked for repairs, and ruin operations for a sector.  A similarly awesome sabotage scenario.

Rogue Squadron 3 had a similar mission where the Alliance hijacked an Imperial cruiser and some TIE Fighters, and you had to protect the cruiser from the real enemies since it was preprogrammed to fly into a space station/force field thing so they can destroy a Super Star Destroyer.

But yeah, still made more sense that that explosion. In fact I thought they were going to have some of the windows get cracked, possibly breaking, with some Republic leaders being sucked out to space or something.

I think it would have been better to do some sort of "wide" shot showing that the ship was still pretty far away from the station, thus why the station had minimal damage... oh well.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55 PM »
I've been thinking about the D-Squad arc and I have to say, even if I was a kid, this show would be pissing me off right now.

There is a difference between writing for your audience and writing to insult your audience and I'm sorry, but that Gascon douche-bag character really was a horrible, insulting addition to the Star Wars universe, no matter what age you are.

What would have been so bad about having this mission run by Seripas instead? Have him helping out the Republic or working for the Republic outright as a by-product of his friendship with Ahsoka.

The ONLY reason why I can see NOT having it run by Seripas instead is because he would have managed the mission with the same skill and determination that he demonstrated in the "Bounty Hunters" episode, and all of the stupid set-backs that Gascon experienced either due to incompetence or over-confidence would have never happened, and the entire arc could have been compressed into two episodes instead of the long drawn out mess that we got.

And that brings me to another point - why were stories like the one in "Bounty Hunters" compressed to a single episode, but the "Moron Gascon" arc expanded out to four epsiodes? (or was it five?) Clearly there is no "voice of reason" on the writing staff for this show. I'm sure we'll get one more cool episode in the Maul/Savage arc and then two weeks from now it will be the triumphant return of Col. Gascon as he investigates food poisoning in the Senate cafeteria. Great stuff!

Please Disney - end this show NOW.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2013, 02:42 AM »
Although I love this show for bits and pieces of what it had to offer, I would love for Disney to step in and takeover and say, "Disregard all of the new 'canon' this show has established." Even if that means throwing away that Darth Maul ever came back, which I love, I'm alright with that.

The previous Clone Wars-era canon the older comics and novels had set up was very well thought out. It had depth and it made the newer characters more complex and likable. It fleshed out amazing backstories for Asajj Ventress and General Grievous, and expanded on the brotherhood between Anakin and Obi-Wan that made it so much sadder when it went to flames in ROTS.

The show has disregarded all of that previous canon, hell, it even made some lame retcon to make Zabraks and Dathomirians the same species. Also, I still refuse to believe that Ahsoka actually survived her duel against General Grievous - I guess he's just some cheap lightsaber-spinning character now.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Although I've liked some of the stuff we've seen this season, and I do enjoy astro droids as much as the next person, I really feel like this season has been boring.  It used to be "appointment viewing" for my daughter and I, and now it is more a DVR and we'll get to it when we get to it type of thing.  I really liked the opening episode with Maul/Oppress, and since then it has been mostly boring.

My daughter and I were just talking about it this weekend when Obi-Wan and Anakin showed up at the end of the episode, when she said "finally, some Jedis".  I think we've seen "the Colonel" more than we've seen either Anakin or Obi-Wan this season, and if you truly are getting back to trying to appeal to kids - I think they'd rather see Jedi slashing and troopers blastin'.  Hopefully the back half of the season is back to more of that warring formula. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2013, 02:34 PM »
I used to watch this with my gf and the kids too Brian, and now they laugh at it being so bad.  She'll sometimes still sit and watch it, and she doesn't really pick it apart for my sake I think, but she's become quite willing to tell me when one sucks.

She hated this last story arc...  She missed at least the Walrus Man episode, but caught last week's, and she said it was really silly and, "unrealistic" (her word, but I agree especially after we've all sat and picked all the plotholes apart here), and said it was pretty boring.

She brought up R2 being a Ninja too, but not doing anything like that in the films save for his couple sequences in ROTS which were nothing like in the toon.

I won't quit watching, but I'm going to now just squeeze watching this in without prepping.  No way in hell I'm buying seasons on DVD now unless they're almost free too.  I've missed buying the last 2 boxed sets, and I'm not upset.  The movie, and the first couple seasons, were all better and worth having around.  Since that whole trippy Jedi dream sequence they had with The Father, The Son, The Daughter, and whatever the hell else, I feel that was the beginning of the end for this show, in terms of quality.

I may be in the minority, but to me that whole thing flew in the face of Star Wars.  It was silly, ill-conceived, and easily forgotten to me.  I just can't believe they screwed up the "Kids love Clones" formula.  Kids and adults both enjoyed it being just a visualization of the show's name, since we didn't get to see the actual Clone Wars on screen.  Blah.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I just can't believe they screwed up the "Kids love Clones" formula.  Kids and adults both enjoyed it being just a visualization of the show's name, since we didn't get to see the actual Clone Wars on screen.  Blah.

Yeah, it's really a bummer.  I really hope this isn't the last season because it's such a turd.

I hope we do get a season next year, one that fully focuses on the ramp up to RotS (with ZERO new characters introduced, because let's face it - 85% of the new S3/4 characters suck ass.  Give us a couple episodes each on what happens to Ahsoka, what happens to Rex, what happens to Cad Bane, Palps putting the pieces in motion for the final showdown (plotting his own kidnapping at the hands of Grievous!), and more Anakin and Obi-Wan TOGETHER, actually doing something for a change, preferrably in the ROTS starfighters and preferably with the 501st/212th in tow.  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46 PM »
LOL, I was just thinking last night, "Man, remember how great those episodes were with the Force-Wielders!" To each his own, I guess, that was an amazing arc to me so I tend to look at it as more of the zenith of the show than the beginning of the end. It's definitely been on a downward trend this year though.

Those dudes over at GH seem pretty keen on the droid arc, so I guess there is always a welcome audience no matter what direction they go.

To Jeff's point, considering all the set-up they have left to do before ROTS, they could stretch that into two very solid seasons IMO. Just map everything out over 40-44 episodes or whatever. Go out with a bang, I say.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Here's what really sucks...

The opening crawl to ROTS says, "there's heroes and villains on both sides..."

How about taking the ROTS crawl,a nd just working off that?

I've said it before, and it still stands.  The 2D Clone Wars shorts were miles superior.

It doesn't help though that Lucas made characters like Grievous pretty chumpy in the films too.  Grievous, in the 2D toon, had Jedi ******** their pants.

Lucas even set up the premise that Jedi aren't super heroes himself, in TPM, and he really didn't play that up either.  They did a little better with that whole Lair of Grievous bit and the Mon Cal mail-away figure.  That was a great figure, a great promo, and a great story arc.  It set Dooku up as a bit of a sadistic boss.  It set Grievous up as tougher than just a slightly smarter battledroid with emphazima, and it let some actual fear creep into the show.

To me, the show's height was Landing at Point Rain...  War, war, war.  Action, action, action.  Clones and droids dying left and right.  It's been downhill from there IMO with a few spikes of ok.

If you do a cutesy one-off episode (3PO/R2 one, whatever), fine.  But only ONE!  One a season, and only one.

How they went from the greatness of the sinking of Separatist version of the "Bismark", to where this show is now, is really just hard to wrap my mind around.  The map was there.  This has to be what happens when Lucas is too involved.  Only he could make me look at the Disney buy-out as nothing but a positive thing.  Someone's there to say, "uh, yeah, no", or at least that's my hope.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2013, 11:08 AM »
SPOILERS

I won't get too much into the details, but today's episode is without a shadow of a doubt the high point of the season. A high point in the series. Throwing the Darth Twins in with the Mandos is inspired and makes for a crazy half hour. This episode is very cinematic, rich in color and design, excellently directed, and proof of this show's maddening inconsistency.

It's also an indictment of the Hasbro CW line. The line is virtually pointless. This episode showcased dozens of characters, most of whom Hasbro has not or will not produce:

Sugi
Dengar
Couple different bounty hunters from past episodes (not sure their names)
Pre Visla 2.0
Bo Katan
Mando Trooper 2.0
Maul 2.0
Savage w/ robot arm

I can go on. Anyways the show is great, and you'll sigh as you see all the great figures that will never be made.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28 AM »
I wonder what a Hutt smells like when you behead one with a light saber?

Certainly  a top 10 episode.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Fun episodes. Shows that good-guy free tend to be like that. Though, it reeked of fanfiction a tad with all these forces coming together. The odds on Pre Vizla finding the Brothers McMaulin' adrift in space? Must be the will of the force. Jabba colluded with the bros., ableit under pressure, but wasn't later killed for it by Sidious?

Vizla repairs the bros before he gets them to ally with him. Not wise.

"They have honour."

"More weakeness."

Nice, very Sith exchange.

I've not read spoiler or the book, but I'm guessing Pre Vizla's future is short. I almost thought they'd kill Sugi.

I liked the lumbering Gamorrean coming at the Mando with his axe and just getting shot. Haw! Also, the "you're telling me that I can find Jabba at Jabba's Palace." Beyond the obvious humor, that also made me laugh as how simply things are named in Star Wars sometimes.

Did the Mando transport appear or just the fighter? I thought I saw the transport breifly once, not sure.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2013, 04:35 PM »
YES FINALLY!!!

This episode was really very good. They're really making Maul's return worthwhile and important, instead of having him pointlessly return just for the fan hype. His new duds kinda remind me of Anakin's Episode III costume. That's pretty cool.

I loved Maul's line so much!! The "So you're telling me... I can find Jabba - at Jabba's palace?" The tone used made that line so beyond funny, especially because it's coming from Darth Maul.

I can't wait for them to actually get to Mandalore and kick everyone's ass.

And that duel against Sidious is undoubtedly going to be epic on so many levels. :-X
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 04:36 PM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Yeah, awesome episode! Loved the Black Sun/Xizor people cameo. Also loved seeing Jabba's goons in action, even if they were just there to get their butts whipped.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks