Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread  (Read 101414 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Clone Wars - Season Five Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 2, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Satine's death was very, very impressively done. Although I've known for awhile that she was going to die, my jaw still dropped when I saw the scene. It was so emotionally gripping. One thing I really respect that Filoni did was that he said, in an interview, that he purposely had Obi-Wan not burst out in tears/emotion/etc. because 1. as a Jedi, he has to keep it together, and 2. he wanted to save that emotional outburst for when it finally comes after beating Anakin on Mustafar. I think it makes a lotta sense and I appreciate that he put that thought into what fits for Obi-Wan's character.

The duel was very impressive. From the onset, we always knew Maul and Savage were basically f*****. I thought this was very apparent when Savage knocked over Sidious, who just smiled like, "Yeah, so?" and took them down with him. You knew HE was in control. There was a sense of impending doom that entire duel.

And yeah, Maul begging for mercy may have been out of character. Even my little brother said, "I'm surprised he's crying!", which is really funny for a nine-year-old to pick up. But I'll just accept it as Maul knowing he's had his ass whupped to the ultimate level, and he's probably even more screwed going forward in Sidious' plan.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #256 on: February 2, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Watching it again on the DVR Obi-Wan is less robotic than it first seemed. I totally get the reasoning behind his lack of an outburst, but I think it was too measured; that being said, the scene was near pitch perfect. Her death was very affecting.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 3, 2013, 08:35 AM »
Wow.  I'm impressed on a number of fronts with this episode.

First?  The callbacks to previous episodes.  It seems that a lot of the plot points from previous episodes involving the Mandalorians, either on Mandalore or the Death Watch, have been culminated in these past couple of episodes.  The romance storyline with Obi-Wan and Satine doesn't seem quite as pointless as it did when it was first explored.  And revealing that Satine and Bo-Katan were sisters?  It draws an interesting parallel with the conflicting Mandalorian pacifist movement and the warrior culture behind Death Watch.

The aerial battle between the Mandalorian factions was actually really cool to watch.  The abilities of the armor have really been showcased in a great light, and it's made the buildup in the overall Mandalorian storyline worth waiting through.  But I don't know if the rest of the audience has that kind of appreciation for the slow buildup.

As for Maul and Savage?  Well, Maul's plans certainly seem to be unravelling.  He over-estimated his ability to manipulate and control the Death Watch, and didn't see the possibility that there might be a rebellion against him and his puppet government.  His execution of Satine was absolutely cruel, but not well calculated enough to achieve his desired goal of breaking Obi-Wan.

And then to watch Maul's realization that Sidious has come?  I was amazed to see the shift in Maul's character from confident, scheming conqueror to an almost sniveling sycophant when Sidious arrived.  And Savage Opress was really a non-factor, showing that he was not even worthy as an apprentice.  This duel absolutely upped the ante from Maul's duel with Pre Vizsla.  Especially since Sidious broke out TWO lightsabers.  I was a little surprised to see Maul do the same, using both his Sith lightsaber as well as the Dark saber.  But it was very clear as to who was the true Master, and who was the apprentice.  Then, when Sidious unleashed the Force Lightning on Maul, it was clear as to how he had dominated and controlled Maul from the time he had been selected as an apprentice.

Am I surprised that Sidious didn't kill Darth Maul?  Actually, no.  Because Darth Sidious is always plotting.  And I suspect that he means to use Maul as the story of the Clone Wars edges towards the events of Revenge Of The Sith.  My own theory is that Sidious plans to use Maul as he continues to push Anakin Skywalker further towards the Dark Side.  And the recurring theme of LOSS in Anakin's story arc seems the most likely avenue by which Sidious will use Maul to push Skywalker that much closer to becoming his apprentice.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 3, 2013, 10:04 AM »
The Twilight    :'(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 3, 2013, 11:42 AM »
I agree Sidious plans to confront Anakin with Maul, but The Chosen One is stronger.
Other discovery about bionic parts: Maul didn´t die because his bionic limbs don´t produce a short circuit which compromises his lungs.

About the magic armour of Opress, he ended in a simple short, even without his boots

there is another clue: Night Sisters, witches and Talzin can create material items from black magic (the green aura),
in some way it is a blink to sith alchemy. In EU there are sith mutants, beasts, transformed also by spells.

While Dark Side vs Light side of the Force was a duel of Ki or Chi, Sith vs Night sisters is a duel of magic.

Some fiction Universes keep the magic characters interacting with main characters (example: Shazam, Black Adam in DC)

Returning to Palpatine´s plot, he should confront Maul and other Sith assassins against the night sisters, as magic is posing an active opposition to dark side hegemony.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2013, 11:45 AM by EpicGon »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 3, 2013, 12:01 PM »
I agree Sidious plans to confront Anakin with Maul, but The Chosen One is stronger.

Agreed.  But I think Sidious plans on using Maul in a more insidious fashion.  How?

I suspect that Sidious wants to turn Maul loose with the aim of killing Ahsoka.  Anakin has clearly become very fond of his young padawan.  And we came to see that over the course of Anakin's story arc he has been troubled by loss.  When his mother died in the Tusken Raider camp he lost control and slaughtered the Tuskens.  And when he thought that Padme had betrayed him he turned on her as well as his own Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi.  I have strong suspicions that Sidious will use Maul to kill Ahsoka, driving Anakin further towards the Dark Side.

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 3, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Yes Nicklab, as you stated, Sidious plans must be insidious, sophisticated
perhaps we´ll see the results on season 6.

I could only suppose that now nightsisters are in the target of Sidious
so he needs to destroy them (a republic army into dathomir could do the job),
however as alchemy has appeared on Clone Wars
Sidious would be eager to get that magic art from a night sister,
cause it will be a coveted resource for him. Maybe as he has collected several Holocrons
from fallen Jedi.

The most cruel and ruthless ending to this clash among Sith and Jedi
could be that Maul Kills Ashoka, forcing Anakin to literally destroy that devil (severing his arms, beheading him, etc.)
and Maybe making The Chose One take revenge on Dathomirian people, as he did with Tuskens. (falling into dark side or
preparing him to fall for ep.III events)

Nevertheless I wish Ashoka survives, cause she is a character who give freshness to the series, and she could, in a near future, contact classic characters such as Luke and Leia. Only saying.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2013, 02:22 PM by EpicGon »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #262 on: February 3, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Loved last night's episode...  Seeing Sidious come deal with things, pretty cool to witness him a little more hands-on.  I like that aspect of Maul kind of forcing his hand...  I have my beliefs as to how Maul will be used...  I think it sets things up nicely for possibly wrapping up the series even, if they wanted to.

I liked the Twilight...  went out like a champ, and was all ******.  Enjoyed Kenobi's musings about the ship too.

Satine...  Great ending.  Would've liked to have seen Kenobi slightly more emotional...  he was at the end of ROTS, and could've been here.  Not outbursts, but some tears would've been nice.  An "I love you too" would've been even better.  Show he's flawed and his flaws partly attributed to Anakin's fall as well.

The series really missed many steps though...  Mandalore should've always been a much larger role in the war, and it's a shame they never used it to its full potential, again going back to the ****** arcs they've had using Mandalore.

And this season, yeah, just shows how wasteful they were with episodes rather than building on this awesome storyline they have had.  Could've easily stretched this out... made things more emotional, developed relationships and characters further.

BTW I thought Palpatine asking for a shuttle was him just getting his ride to Mandalore, no?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 3, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Ok, for real, a red Death Watch repaint would just be so easy, Hasbro. SO EASY. I guarantee you would not lose money. Listen to me!

SO much to love about this episode, the aerial Mando combat, the Sith duel, the spectacular death of The Twilight, they couldn't have packed much more in if they tried. And yeah, they probably should have tried, about 6 episodes would have felt right for all this.

So passes Satine, pretty sure the character with the most lines in the history of the show who was never rendered in plastic. My collection will forever be incomplete without her. Ditto Bo Katan.

What I loved: all the aformentioned stuff, bittersweet seeing the Twilight go out like that, and with it, the symbolic chances of ever seeing this made in plastic. Definitely feels like they are tying up loose threads before the ROTS transition. I wonder how many episodes we'll be getting in Season Six?

Really cool to see the Mandos in all their glory, gave me a new appreciation for a bunch of dudes I always felt seemed a little overhyped. But seriously, you guys have the most inept prison system in the universe. Frigging Jar Jar could have busted Satine out of that joint apparently. Maybe try those magic "brace shields" that seem to work so well in ROTS?

The Sith Duel was pure fanboy cream dream, but impossible not to love, especially the part where Oppress gets nailed. I had to re-watch that at least 3-4 times. I was almost waiting for a Highlander-esque "there can be only two!" line from Sidious right there. Which would have been entirely appropriate with Clancy Brown and all, but I digress.

Maul begging didn't bother me so much, dude seems kinda broken still after all those years in exile, gotta wonder what Sidious has in mind for him though. I have to think they tie up that loose end next season for sure.

I didn't really get the whole end sequence though, Obi just wanting to get away to warn the Jedi Council. No desire to pursue Maul or Oppress, or some kind of counter-attack against the evil PM? Just gonna let the clones go in and mop things up? And no Force rumblings when 3/4 of the most powerful Dark side wielders in the galaxy are throwing down right around the corner?

I guess it just struck me as odd that he would resign himself to some sort of protracted military response rather than just going back and kicking ass with a highly trained team of Jedi Commandoes or some such thing.

Anyway though, some pretty high high-points in these last few episodes, some of the best stuff we have gotten all year. I hope things don't grind back down to dullness in these last few Ahsoka-centric episodes coming up...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 3, 2013, 10:32 PM »
BTW I thought Palpatine asking for a shuttle was him just getting his ride to Mandalore, no?

But Sidious and Palpatine are two completely different people! :D

Yeah, good episode, but again, way too rushed. They could have spent an entire SEASON on the material from this arc and the other Mandalorian episodes. Satine's death was pretty sad, too, and I wouldn't have minded they have Obi-Wan just turn emo and depressed for the rest of the episode. If they had properly planned this arc out they could have even done a bonus episode with Anakin having to help him get his groove back or something.

LOVED Sidious kicking ass, and didn't mind his exaggerated powers one bit. I mean he's one of the most powerful guys in the galaxy, as strong or stronger than the best Jedi, Yoda, who lifts friggin' starfighters, so yeah, I can believe him easily tossing a few guys around.

And obviously Maul has to survive so he can attack Owen Lars and baby Luke. :D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: February 4, 2013, 12:33 AM »
Fought Yoda to a standstill...  if not sort of beating him.  I don't mind the over-the-top force powers either.  His sailing about the Senate was a bit out there when you think about it.  Yoda's too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #266 on: February 4, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Any significance to the Mando soldier with the horns on his helmet?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #267 on: February 4, 2013, 08:43 PM »
On SW.com he's simplyy listed as a Captain of the new Maul version of Death Watch.  Guess he'd be tougher.  I dig him.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 4, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Looks like there are at least another 4 episodes in the pipeline for this season.  The Clone Wars Hangout that took place over the weekend teased a little bit about the next story arc, which spans four episodes.

Feedback

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 6, 2013, 10:56 PM »
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 11:09 PM by Rune Haako »