Author Topic: X-Wing prototype!!!  (Read 5980 times)

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
X-Wing prototype!!!
« on: August 5, 2003, 07:18 PM »
"But this new starfighter. That's the one." If you thought the triangular shape of Obi-Wan's Jedi starfighter from Episode II was a harbinger of design sensibilities to come, wait until you see the new ship. From certain angles, it's unmistakably a precursor to an original trilogy vessel. And, bringing it all full circle, it incorporates features first seen in the toy version of the previous Jedi starfighter"

This is off Hyperspace today under the title toy box.  Maybe its a X-wing prototype or something, maybe the Republic/Empire will have Tie-fighter prototypes too.  Hopefully some clear dog-fighting will be seen.  Not literally dog fighting of course, that would be sick!

No pics as yet though, I don't have the jedi starfighter toy, anyone out there that can help me out, MisterPL you're our resident toy expert,  what's it got that the film one didn't?
He can't muck this one up! just kill'em all in a really cool way!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: X-Wing prototype!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2003, 07:35 PM »
Well, cartoon network has something very similar to what you're talking about.  Think it will be this (top ship in the middle of the picture)?

dustrho

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2003, 08:18 PM »
Those are some cool looking ships...  Let's see which ones make the final cut. 8)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2003, 08:21 PM »
(Ooo, I'm an expert!  8))

The Jedi Starfighter toy has S-foils that unfold similar to the X-wing.

Of course it also has panels that blow off, revealing the inner guts of the ship. Ever since The Phantom Menace, I've wondered if the Y-wing wasn't originally a 2nd generation Naboo Starfighter minus the coverings.

We'll just have to wait and see, but my money's on the X-wing.
Post sober.

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2003, 09:08 AM »

This is a picture of the Jedi ship toy, looks like an A-wing to me, but we don't see those till RotJ do we?  Maybe if the red bits of the ship were taken off and normal wings were put on it could be an x-wing, and he did say that only from a certain angle it looks like an OT ship.

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 6, 2003, 09:13 AM »
Obviously that didn't work so here's the web-address if you want to copy and paste it to see the Jedi fighter.

http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/9171/7810

Sorry  :-[

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 6, 2003, 10:14 AM »
Here's an image of how the vehicle works, courtesy of the GalacticHunter image archives:

The Jedi Starfighter was designed to echo the wedge shape of the Imperial Star Destroyer, but on a much smaller scale. The A-wing was inspired by unused Snowspeeder designs which originally used a Y-wing cockpit as a main body.

While the Jedi Starfighter toy takes creative liberties for the sake of play value, I think it's a great evolution of sorts, blending the opening S-foils of the Rebel X-wing with the distinctive shape of an Imperial battleship and ending up resembling a small Sith Infiltrator. THIS is how Anakin's modified Starfighter should have been designed rather than some reverse-engineered podracer.
Post sober.

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2003, 11:03 AM »
Great pics MisterPL, slightly better than my fumbled effort.  So were guessing it's going to be thiner with s-foils of a sort?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2003, 11:59 AM »
That'd be my guess. Unless they're referring to the removeable panels, which isn't all that visually interesting. I think we're definitely going to see a pre-cursor to the X-wing. (Maybe a Z-95 Headhunter?)

Post sober.

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I didn't think that the headhunter had s-foils.  I thought it just had two locked wings which couldn't / didn't open.  maybe this ship will remove the headhunter out of the evoluion of the x-wing, it'll just become a cheap alternative to the x-wing.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 6, 2003, 05:06 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the Headhunter and the prototype X-wing sketch above are two different vehicles.

The original description of the Headhunter included a "swing-wing design, forked tails, and bubble cockpits." It wasn't until West End games stole the Joe Johnston concept sketch and slapped the "Headhunter" label on it that it became "official" EU.

Someday I'll have to fix that, too.  ;)
Post sober.