Author Topic: Look Sir Droids...  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Look Sir Droids...
« on: May 11, 2012, 04:17 PM »
If "the tracks lead off in is direction...", why did it take finding a metal washer to figure out it was droids, I mean sure C3P0 walks semi-human esque. But R2D2 is making 3 distinct tracks.  How many species have 3 legs that "drag" like that? 

Not being overly critical of the "canon".... I'm just making conversation.

And why would the rocky area be better for R2 and not C3P0? 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Look Sir Droids...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Maybe John Holmes happened to be on Tatooine at that time?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I don't know about the tracks, but I'm not surprised that rocks are better than sand for R2.  The sand could mess with his wheels/treads, but on the rocky ground is a bit more solid where we see him and he could effectively push smaller rocks out of the way as he rolls along.  Heck, if he still has rocket thrusters he could even glide a bit over bigger obstacles.  The sand might be better for threepio because he kind of shifts and twists along and can't raise his legs very high.  If he ran into bigger rocks, he'd be pretty screwed, and might easier lose his balance on pebbles being bipedal. 

Outside of mechanical ability, I think R2 was either looking for shelter in the rocky terrain or had some concept of where Obi-Wan might be living.  The fact that he leaves the Skywalker ranch heading in just the right direction to find Obi-Wan might support the notion that he had some idea of where Obi-Wan was hiding out.  I think Threepio considered himself superior to R2 in many ways and just felt like he should have the say in where they go. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:44 PM »
I kinda thought it might have been breezy and blew the tracks away in the soft sand. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Aww man I had one lined up just like this and you steal my thunder with yours...  dammit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Aww man I had one lined up just like this and you steal my thunder with yours...  dammit.

Great minds think alike, Jesse.  ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Great minds think alike, Jesse.  ;)

And so do you two!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today