Author Topic: Gotta have ACL surgery for my dog  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Gotta have ACL surgery for my dog
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:26 PM »
My buddy (and my daughter's best friend) tore her ACL Tuesday night (degenerative condition).  So, I have to go see a surgeon on Monday to get the options and prices for her.  She's a six year old lab/pitt mix.  If she were older and not very active, I'd probably just bypass the days and keep her comfy.  But poor dog is in a lot of pain and it kills me to see her this way.  I'm a softy where my dog is concerned. 

I know there are several types of surgeries and most of them are very successful.  If you guys have had this issue, what was your experience, type of surgery, and cost?  I'm considering the ESLT procedure as it's the lowest cost and my vet said it should be pretty good for my dog.  I used to take her jogging with me, but in the past year or so, she's been primarily a fetch the ball dog and I haven't taken her on runs with me.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:51 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have ACL surgery for my dog
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26 PM »
No advice or experience here, but I think it's awesome that you're going to go ahead and get the surgery. 

If my dogs ever broke a leg or got hurt in a way that required expensive surgery, I don't think I could justify not doing everything I possibly could to fix them up.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have ACL surgery for my dog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Haven't had to have surgery for our dog, but my wife's cat tore his ACL.  The surgery was successful, but he wasn't a high jumper afterward.  He used to be able to get up on the bathroom counter with ease before the surgery, but after he was pretty much only jumping onto the couch.  As far as his gait was concerned, he didn't have a limp and could still get around rather quickly when he needed to.

Sorry I couldn't give you much to go on for your dog, but like you, there was never a question for us about not getting the surgery done when it happened.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!