Author Topic: Fisher Price Advetnture People  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Fisher Price Advetnture People
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Does anyone remember these gems?  Here's a classic commercial!

Me and my best friend had a bunch of these sets when we were kids.  I remember taking my Northwoods Trailblazer set and the wilderness explorer set (A pontoon boat, Cessna plane and 6-wheel ATV...the boat connected to the plane to make a sea plane!) and we would play in the stream behind his house!  Great times!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Fisher Price Advetnture People
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:58 AM »
I had my bro's hand-me-downs, which wound up in the GI Joe collection. :)  The TV Van made a great Cobra spy vehicle.  I had a lot of the ones you did.  I had the 6 wheeled vehicle too.

The figures always wound up as the classic, "Kidnapped Scientist" Cobra would hold hostage.  I was admittedly more violent than the cartoon though, and these people often died.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Adventure People are an all time favorite of mine.  They were what I was really into when Star Wars came out. 

The Star Wars characters had many missions in Adventure People vehicles and tents.

If it had a Motorcycle, I had it.  For sure, the first figures with articulated knees.

I still have a bunch of them and my 4 year old son loves them. They have held up pretty decent too. 

I recall the embarrassment though later in life going down the "baby" aisle to look for stuff, but when I scored that rescue helicopter, it was worth it. 

So many water rescues needing to be made.

I have some Christmas morning pics we found at my grandmothers house recently I will scan them.  It is the TV van.

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:51 PM »
they have something sort of similar to these out right now at Wal Marts, I cant remember the names of the brand right off hand but I was going to pick some of the sets up because they looked like they had some cool street bikes for Dreadnoks to use this afternoon, I will look and see what the line is called.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2012, 12:16 AM »
I had quite a few of these but, sadly, I believe they fell victim to yard sales and the like.  I had the same plane/boat/6-wheeler as well as a safari set and some smaller ones like the racing motor cycle set.

These were the first action figures I remember having but they kind of got replaced by Star Wars and GI Joe.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2012, 01:25 AM »
Same thing happened for me...

I had some hand-me-down action figures in 1982.  Adventure People, and some of my bro's original SW figures.

K-Mart opened on the hill in 1982, and with it came my first GI Joe...  Flash.  I pretty much was in love at that point, and Star Wars became a fun but secondary toyline to me, and Adventure People were the aforementioned hostage fodder for Cobra...  Star Wars would have me in 1983 for a while again, but it wouldn't be #1 in my heart again till I was 13 or 14 and started collecting vintage figures through Toy Shop magazine, after ESB and ROTJ were aired on NBC one weekend.

Adventure People were cool though and those dirtbikes were insane.  Cobra got those, immediately, and Snake Eyes always had one.

Don't tell me the motorcycles in GI Joe are lame because, when I was a kid, that was the vehicle the best Joe got to ride.  The RAM cycle or mirage was always a top vehicle.  Adventure people dirtbikes if you could keep their thumbs from snapping.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2012, 01:35 AM »
I recently got back my original Daredevil Sport Van set : ) It was used and abused by me, my 2 younger brothers, my cousin and lastly his son. It has been in my family forever. Great toys, even better memories.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Anyone else think these were the best functional parachutes of any toy line too?  They were outstandingly made.  I was fond of chucking these with a GI Joe strapped into them high in the air, or dropping them off one of the hillsides near my house.

The Skystrikers chutes were good, but these were really perfectly designed.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2012, 06:41 AM »
I totally agree. My parachute is still fully functional, dirty, but intact.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Because the parachutes were actual cloth!  I don't think GI Joe made any cloth chutes in the vintage era, they were all plastic.  I had a FP parachute set that got a lot of work also. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2012, 03:03 PM »
adventure wheels!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Yeah, Adventure People were great.

Yes, the parachute were quite good.

We had the safari family with the great truck, animals, cages.

I remember getting the space shuttle for a birthday. It found its way into the Star Wars universe.

Despite the non-violent themes, we'd always work them into violent scenarios giving them GI JOE and Sgt. Rock guns.

Adventure People was ahead of its time in its frequent inclusion of female figures.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03 AM »
Well, I've taken the plunge in getting a couple of these sets for Colin to play with.  I got a good deal on the wilderness adventure set in great condition and even had the original box!

I will be on the hunt for the Northwoods Trailblazer set (with the yellow jeep) and then I will call it quits until Colin is more interested.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 01:12 PM »
Well, I've taken the plunge in getting a couple of these sets for Colin to play with.  I got a good deal on the wilderness adventure set in great condition and even had the original box!

I will be on the hunt for the Northwoods Trailblazer set (with the yellow jeep) and then I will call it quits until Colin is more interested.

Ha ha, sure you will!  ;)

I am thinking I will have to pick some of these guys up soon too. I almost hate to dive into another line, but the nostalgia factor is too hard to resist.

At least they're not prohibitively expensive on the secondary market...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:10 PM »
I'm really just sticking to the couple of sets I had as a kid, and I really am getting them for my kid.  I think it would be cool forhim to have some of the nostalgic stuff from when I was young.
This is the way.

I have spoken.