Author Topic: Root Beer  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Root Beer
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 11:04 PM »
I like Boylan's root beer, and also Stewart's.  Both of them are pretty good.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2003, 12:40 AM »
I bought a 12-pack of A&W root beer in 12- oz. cans, and the cans had Legolas from LOTR pictured on them!! Sweet. Made my evening. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2003, 04:45 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the same article I vaguely remember reading, but it answers your question anyway.

He likes sarsaparilla, too, which may taste like root beer but isn't. America used to drink sarsaparilla, says the king -- now it can't even spell it.

Right on.  Thanks for the link--it even prompted me to do a Google search for (of course), "difference between sarsaparilla and root beer".

So this is from the first thing it pulled up:

During the taste test, our reviewers had difficulty guessing which of the samples were root beers and which were sarsaparillas. The Overall Taste scores, however, show lower scores for the sarsaparilla samples. In general, sarsaparilla seems to be less full-bodied, less creamy and less rich than root beer. The small sample cups used in our experiment seem to favor the brands with the most intense, full-bodied flavor, which can be ascertained in just a few sips. In this situation, sarsaparilla will be at a disadvantage. And in one notable instance, the red food coloring used in some sarsaparillas brought an uneasy reminder of sweetened cough syrup, creating a lower score for the sample.

Great American Root Beer Showdown

(Side note:  So apparently, my dream of referring to root beer as "sarsaparilla" in order to make myself sound cool and different will remain just that: a dream.)   :-[

And, these are the top five root beers tested according to the guys at the above link:

Bulldog Root Beer
Ed McCaffrey's Creamy Root Beer
Rat Bastard Root Beer
Tubz Root Beer
X Root Beer Riot

Haven't heard of any of them.   :)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."