Author Topic: SDCC 2012  (Read 42606 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2012
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43 PM »
The 12" line just speaks volumes about how profit is job #1 right now. They copy a much better collector line from another company, but position it for kids despite the lack of any play value.  I might have even considered a few of these to go with my vintage ones (Jango Fett, vinyl cape Maul, some of the bounty hunters, etc.  But with the weapons molded on, these are practically statues.  Lame.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40 PM »
First off - let me just say - kudos to Darth_Anton for handling the 10 minute Q&A session. I just want to get that out of the way first.

Now - I'm going to ask a question - and I'm sure it's not going to make me very popular, but I gotta say it...

Why does it feel to me like the Hasbro team "got off easy" with regards to being asked the really tough questions? (both during the panel and in the 10 minute site Q&A sessions)

What do they mean by "the new waves are starting to hit now"? Is there a magical place that is receiving new cases regularly that I don't know about?

And does "and what we’re trying to do is leave room for us in the future, perhaps with vintage, not in main line, but being able to do it through exclusives... is to find figures that have been in short supply and find ways of getting them back out there. Maybe not in 2013 and maybe not 2014, although it could be, finding ways to get them back out into circulation, the figures that weren’t able to hit this time around"...

...mean that NOTHING is being done to fix the distribution issues before the Vintage line comes to an end at the close of this year?

I read that answer as if they're saying "we know figures like Shae Vizla, Malgus, Kithaba, etc... are popular, but they aren't going to be in circulation in the line again this year, if you miss them you're beat".

I get it - if you come across as confrontational it will be the last time you get the opportunity to ask questions, but there has to be a difference between asking the tough question and being confrontational.

Please know that I am not speaking about anyone here or on any other site specifically, this is more of an "on the whole" observation and it is born purely out of the frustration I have continued to feel this year trying to keep up with collecting this line.

(hoping this post doesn't get me banned)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Don't worry about getting banned  :P

FYI We put the questions together, DA asked them. 

I will say that in general our relationship with Hasbro has always been one of mutual respect and we have always tried in general to emulate the same tone of the old Collectstarwars where many of us came from.  We aren't afraid to call a spade a spade but haven't in general participated in the "Hasblow Sux" mentality that some other sites project.

I also think it would have been tough for DA to editorialize on the spot and ask clarifyers or follow ups based on elusive and slippery answers being given.  Hopefully the same thing happens at C6 where more of us will be there.

Thanks again to Darth Anton for doing this

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2012, 05:53 PM »
It was very tough for DA because 10 minutes is shorter than you imagine it to be when you're doing an interview like that...  We figured a set # of Q's and tried to leave him some wiggle room to ask his own Q's, or to ask ours his own way sort of, since it was his time.  I think he did a nice job...  Some of our Q's didn't even get asked/answered, and some the "point" of the Q was missed and glossed over completely.

On the Hasbro answer on distribution, I got out of that, that HTF stuff this year isn't likely to be repacked into the new look, but that they are leaving room to offer them in an exclusive format if possible...  It also doesn't mean it won't find its way out some other way.  Shae Vizla really just started shipping, and there's a bit of year left, so it's early to hit the panic button there.  Others, time's running out but I think there's some hope they'll be available again, but maybe not in next year's main line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Hasblow sux.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20 PM »
any news on what day/time the SDCC stuff will be for sale on HTS?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Thanks Jesse and Scott...

I definitely don't want anyone to think I'm suggesting that I would be satisfied with anyone going in "guns blazing" screaming the battle cry "Hasbro Sucks!"

Quite the contrary.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37 AM »
I have to say, the time went by very fast. I really wanted to get to the other questions, because they were great, but I didn't anticipate the forum of the interview, which was in the middle of the floor, and the genuine enthusiasm from the guys while we were talking. I really wish you could see their faces because, with the exception of the distribution question, they seemed to be having a lot of fun with it.

I consciously moved the distribution question from the top of the list to the bottom and I think it set a nice tone, because as soon as I broached the subject, the mood changed. It was certainly their most prepared answer and I wish I had more time for follow up. However, I hope by piecing together similar interactions, we can get a more telling picture.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2012, 02:05 AM »
I can't recall if Hasbro had said they weren't doing one for sure or not, but I have to say I was a little disappointed to see there was no mail-away planned for this year as well...

I was overall pleased with SDCC, but there were a few things kind of bummed me out too.  This being one of them.  It was up there with no C6 exclusive figure (I really hoped for funeral pyre Vader).

I loved the mail-aways though...  I love getting stuff in the mail I guess.  I don't know why.  I blame a lot of this on the constant brow-beating Hasbro took over damaged cards for these programs.  I think they felt it was becoming too cost-prohibitive in the long run.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2012, 07:54 AM »
That and the fiasco over which UPCs people could use.  I cant believe how much that blew up in their face despite the best of intentions. I'm sure they just decided it wasnt worth the hassle.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2012, 04:43 PM »
I wonder if the Jocasta figure was originally slated as a mail way before they canned the idea. It seems to fit like it was.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2012, 05:21 PM »
I wonder if the Jocasta figure was originally slated as a mail way before they canned the idea. It seems to fit like it was.

Whether it be a mail-away, a Celebration VI exclusive that Hasbro Toy Shop walked away from, or some other online retailer exclusive, I would bet my life that their first choice wasn't to have Brian's Toys carry it....

:-X
Peter

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2012, 08:27 PM »
The 12" line just speaks volumes about how profit is job #1 right now. They copy a much better collector line from another company, but position it for kids despite the lack of any play value.  I might have even considered a few of these to go with my vintage ones (Jango Fett, vinyl cape Maul, some of the bounty hunters, etc.  But with the weapons molded on, these are practically statues.  Lame.

Profit is always #1.  Hasbro is a business.  That's no surprise.  What is, though, is their inability to actually get the stuff that people want into their hands.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I'm pretty pissed about this one, just because it seems the only crack I'll get at the Jarbonite.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2012, 10:26 PM »

Profit is always #1.  Hasbro is a business.  That's no surprise.  What is, though, is their inability to actually get the stuff that people want into their hands.

Ugh, they had no problem getting TPM figures into my hands. So much so, that they keep trying to get those things into my hands...over and over.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram