Author Topic: 2013 Droid Factory Wave 1  (Read 19847 times)

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Droid Factory Wave 1
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03 PM »
any details on this new R2?  Ugh I don't want to buy it but probably will be forced to at the expense of the BAD...  Same with the Battle Droid...
Looks like a repaint of the TAC RotS one (minus the large flame stand)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09 AM »
I'm not gonna lie, I'm extremely disappointed in waves 1 and 2.  Yes, there are some nice upgrades in there but let’s face it, there’s nothing there we don’t already own in one form or another.  And who the hell on the Hasbro team has the juice to keep the goddamned Sandtrooper in rotation?  They released one in 2010 that hung around most of last year, we’re getting another in the next couple of weeks and then the 1st wave of 2013?  Someone needs to have their ass kicked.

We just had the 212th Clone Trooper in January 2011 and now he’s back?  Another Vader?  TIE and A-Wing pilots with not ships to support them (that we know of)...plus there’s another TRU pilot pack coming.  Hasbro needs to lay off the pilots for a while.

Pile on top of that there’s no CVI exclusive and the whole presentation today, with only a few exceptions, was a stinking pile of ****.  Even I’m not making excuses for Hasbro this time.  Yes, there are a few figs in there that will sell because they are needed upgrades, but contrary to popular belief, there are still some characters that haven’t been done that would make better choices than these.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 01:28 AM »
I got an impression teh A-Winger may be "all new", if that helps anyone accept it more...  I'm thinking maybe made to look like the Mon Cal A-Winger's sculpt but a human, which would make it a bit more like the original Vintage A-Winger in POTF.

That'd be nice since that's a pretty distinct difference...  Like the Y-Winger I'm into big changes like that when they're warranted.

TIE Pilot I find odd though.  Neat pistol though too.

Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron) was the only figure I looked at and wasn't digging...

Don't get me wrong, I love them and have a ton.  And they sell...  if they're $5 at 5Below.  They fly off the shelves there.  First figure to sell out with Grievous, Jango, Ani, Mace and Kit Fisto to follow...  Sandtrooper always went first though and I have a friend who manages one and showed me their back room when they came in, and they had at LEAST 36 cases of AOTC wave there.  Wowza.  Now they're down to their last couple cases in the back and what's on pegs out front.

Anyway, yeah, the Sandtrooper seems like a bad idea.

Still though I thought the rest was ok...  I liked a lot of it.  R2 isn't high on my list but I liked the last flying one.

The rest I'm buyin' including the clones too.  I'm sure I'll buy the Sandtrooper too though.  Hell, if things keep up I'll just get a case and make sure I get my BAD.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 03:11 AM »
Padme looks great. 
Anakin - updated finally.
Red Battle Droid - Ok (we all seen that one coming)
212th Clone - Much need update still terrible helmet
Sandtrooper - again  ???  What is Hasbro doing ? 
Tie Fighter Pilot - Why ???
EP2 Green Clone - Ok, I guess
Pablo Jill - sweet (didn't ask for him but still buy)
Luminara - a nice update
Geonosian Warrior - a nice repack
Rockets R2 - didn't need him
Biker Scout - I guess if people don't buy the speeder bike  ::)
BADs = TC-70 & FA-4 - Sweet additions

Overall - decent

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Looks like it's 12 figures in that first wave:

- Arena Padme
- Rockets R2
- Ep2 Anakin
- Ep2 Clone SGT
- Geonosian Warrior
- Luminara
- Biker Scout
- TIE Pilot (Vader's Wingman)
- RED Battle Droid
- Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron)
- Pablo Jill
- 212th Clone (on VC45 body)

BADs = TC-70 & FA-4

3 of 12 for me and all Army Builders.  Looks like another year that I can't buy cases without being buried in plastic prequel abominations.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 10:20 AM »
I may only get a Sandtrooper and Scout Trooper...I have a boatload of the VOTC Scouts.  I'll probably pick up a TIE Pilot too

I also want a count on how many Arena Padme figures they have done.  10?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:21 AM by Scott »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 01:49 PM »
For this re launched mold of tie pilot, longer legs are needed.
Hope they made a variation of clone head under the helmet.

Biker scout seems as he has got longer legs, but he lacks the red application on back pack.

Is nice hasbro has painted the soles of clone troopers
hope for other figures from OT they keep this job.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I also want a count on how many Arena Padme figures they have done.  10?

6 including this one I think (7 if you count the CW version), but this is the second with battle damage.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 03:55 PM »
In my world 2...  The BAD one with the mask and stuff, and this one.  The rest... hah.  Her 2002 figure was so big she dwarfs half the male characters now.

On the TIE Pilot needing longer legs, I disagree Epicgon.  I used to think he's short...  It's the jumpsuit makes him look that way, and the giant helmet.  The TIE Pilots are pretty even with most average height figures I've noticed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Since this is supposed to be a relaunch on the heels of Vintage, I'm completely underwhelmed. I don't like that AOTC takes the center stage here - sure, an updated Anakin is nice, and so is that Padme, but this is a weak first wave.  :'(

Idk, put Mara Jade in that first wave, or one of the remaining Original Kenner in need of an update, but this is such a lackluster first wave.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55 PM »
This whole thing seems like its just phoned in. The AOTC ones I feel were expected to come out, but the OT ones are just downright terrible for the most part, with the repacks.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58 PM »
This whole thing seems like its just phoned in. The AOTC ones I feel were expected to come out, but the OT ones are just downright terrible for the most part, with the repacks.

I agree with this.

There is a part of me that feels that the AOTC figures in this wave were originally intended for Vintage cardbacks until the Vintage line look was determined to be the scape-goat for all that is "wrong" with the Star Wars line.

It isn't having three separate lines that is the problem or the continued focus on "new" things that in the long run will just turn out to be duds (I'm looking at you Fighter Pods and 12" Power of the Suck figures)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46 AM »

TIE Pilot I find odd though.  Neat pistol though too.

That was the first thing I noticed.  Very cool.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Cool. Never noticed the retro pistol on the TIE pilot. Bet is doesn't come with it though. I'm looking forward to Jabba's protocal droid as well. I always like the paint job on that one.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 01:08 PM »
I was kinda down on this wave at first but it's growing on me.

I didn't feel like we needed Padme after the awesome Evolutions/BAD version, but it's nice to have the variant. Anakin, another one that I've been happy with the 2005 Evolutions version but I'll buy this one with ball-jointed hips. Hope he comes with the robotic alternate hand.

Army Builders: Despite the height, I'm a fan of the new Battle Droid, so I'll buy a small army of red droids. TIE Pilots are always welcomed. I have like four, counting that weird Biggs TIE Pilot with the open helmet. This one has those "tears" too, so at least it'd different from the Revenge TIE Pilot we got last year. Sandtrooper? Meh, but I'll probably buy one. Will probably pass on the 212th Clone. These ROTS Clones on VC45 bodies are good ideas in theory but the helmets are awful, so I'll stick with my ROTS #41 Clones. And it's always nice to have some Geonosian Warriors to fight Clones.

I'm assuming that this Biker Scout has ball-jointed hips, but is it the same one included with the new Speeder Bike? If so, I can skip it since I have enough "stand alone" Biker Scouts.

The BADs are probably my favorite part of this wave. Jabba's droid will obviously go great with the other Jabba goons, and Dooku's droid is cool looking. Really the only stinker is R2. Why even bother? This wave is alright to me though I can see why some might hate it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks