Author Topic: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu  (Read 50181 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2012, 08:50 PM »
That's why I jumped on the free shipping when it was available and didn't wait.  I figured near this time, ordering, you were looking at shipping and no discount codes.  I didn't count on that being available at Xmas from a shop like that.

I think back to exclusives...  SDCC ones, Celebration ones...  To me, youg et more for about the same.  Not many of those that I can think of were real values for their price.  They were usually lame really, when you look back, and were overpriced.  I think comparatively it's fairly fair for obscurity.

Now if it were a popular character?  I'd be more annoyed they didn't get it out to regular retail for a fair price.  Or any army builder of almost any type (they're usually less obscure though anyway).  Other than the McFigures I can't think of many show exclusives I look back on and think were a fair value.  This I do.  It's all perception.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2012, 07:53 AM »
I'm still confused as to how Hasbro Toy Shop can refuse a Hasbro Exclusive Item.

That's who would have carried this figure at Celebration, right?

Tis figure was probably going to be a victim of two VPs at Hasbro having a pissing-match, so while it's probably more than we would have paid for it at the convention, I'm glad we're getting the character AND on a vintage card back.

I wrote Brian's Toys asking why my order from mid-July hadn't shipped yet and the next day I got a shipping notification. It's not like my order was small either, I ordered four of them, just seems odd to me that an online retailer would be holding off processing a $100+ purchase.  :-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I'm still confused as to how Hasbro Toy Shop can refuse a Hasbro Exclusive Item.

Tis figure was probably going to be a victim of two VPs at Hasbro having a pissing-match, so while it's probably more than we would have paid for it at the convention, I'm glad we're getting the character AND on a vintage card back.

I wrote Brian's Toys asking why my order from mid-July hadn't shipped yet and the next day I got a shipping notification. It's not like my order was small either, I ordered four of them, just seems odd to me that an online retailer would be holding off processing a $100+ purchase.  :-\

My order for the group was 7 - I don't think they are picking and choosing by the amount ordered.  They're just processing orders as usual and then getting to any JN orders as time permits.  They said they would deliver in January and we're not even half way through December.  Brian's should probably be sending the guys that ordered first, but who knows what kind of order processing system they have.  Clearly raising a stink bumps you to the front of the list.

As for why it wasn't carried at a convention - I think it wasn't going to be ready in time.  If they're shipping in Dec, they probably were produced in Nov, which would have been too late for any of the conventions.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27 AM »

As for why it wasn't carried at a convention - I think it wasn't going to be ready in time.  If they're shipping in Dec, they probably were produced in Nov, which would have been too late for any of the conventions.

It's sort of complicated.  Early in the year, Hasbro decided not to spend the money to send HasbroToyShop to the Fall conventions.  The booth, shipping product, hiring labor to work the booth - not in the budget this year.  So, no HTS booth meant no exclusives.

It's my understanding that when they made that decision to have HTS skip C6/NYCC, they took Jocasta off the production schedule.  Then, once they had a partner lined up to release her (Brian's Toys), they put her back on the production schedule, hence why she wasn't ready for shipping until Dec.  If they had decided that they were going to send HTS to the Fall conventions, then she would have been ready for Celebration becuase they would have lined up the production run earlier in the year as they had previously scheduled.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Makes sense.  My package from Brian's arrived today.   ::)  I'll try to not bury these somewhere in the move before our next meeting.

Jeff, Jayson, Tony, Dave, Ryan - you're all set.  Jeff & Tony pre-paid - it's $27.50 each for the rest of you.  Let me know if you can't make it in Jan and we'll find another time to meet up.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:23 PM by JediJman »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03 PM »

My order for the group was 7 - I don't think they are picking and choosing by the amount ordered.  They're just processing orders as usual and then getting to any JN orders as time permits.  They said they would deliver in January and we're not even half way through December.  Brian's should probably be sending the guys that ordered first, but who knows what kind of order processing system they have.  Clearly raising a stink bumps you to the front of the list.

NO, that's just the thing, there's no logic to how they are filling orders AT ALL.
Brian's Toys has successfully assured itself of never getting another exclusive again.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2012, 02:16 AM »
I wouldn't go that far...  They assured themselves of maybe making some consumers less interested in makign an order, but if something similar happened next year (they get some obscure character for $25 with some ok extra accessories), I'd buy it again. 

I got my figures this weekend...  I'm happy enough.  They responded fast.  I can only imagine their system's just overwhelmed and didn't prepare properly to fill these fast and efficiently.  It's the only thing I can think of as to what happened.

I got them though, and they're admittedly cooler looking in person than I thought they would be.  Plus Brian's Toys sent proofs which was nice because if you want a mint carded Jocasta outside of the display box it comes in, you're pretty much SOL on that.  The card's bent in similar ways to the carded figures in the SDCC Exclusive set.  I am trying to keep a nice minty set of cards for Vintage for some nutty reason, and so the proof card's a nice extra to have since I know the card I cut the figure off of is going to be goofed up a bit with some creases and such.

The figure looks pretty well done.  I'm anxious to crack it open and put her into Jedi obscurity.

Sad fact?  I think I'm more into the bust of Dooku with the holocron, and an Obi-Wan looking at it (again, thank god for 5 Below Obi's!  I have like a dozen extra), than I am the Jocasta figure.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2012, 02:07 PM »
NO, that's just the thing, there's no logic to how they are filling orders AT ALL.
Brian's Toys has successfully assured itself of never getting another exclusive again.

I'm still not 100% clear on what people think Brian's did wrong.  Are you mad just because someone else got theirs first?  If I order something and it is supposed to be delivered in January, then I expect it to arrive in January.  Those were the terms of the sale and the company has until then to fulfill their side of things.  Period.  Someone else get's their Jocasta early and that makes you mad enough to suggest that the company never gets another exclusive?  Seriously?  I love getting my stuff at the same time as everyone else, but as long as its on order, I don't really care that the guy across town gets his two weeks before me. 

Look at it from this angle: how often do we hear about an exclusive ship date only to see it pushed back?  Where is the TRU Endor AT-AT?  Why are we seven Jumbo figures behind on Gentle Giant?  Brian's shipped some items earlier than expected and people are mad about that?  So if they boxed up everyone's order and sat on them all until Jan 31, that would somehow make you happier?  I just don't get it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2012, 02:40 PM »
I think what upset anyone was, and I don't know if this is completely true or not, but from what I recall some people ordered right around November and it shipped right away while people had pre-ordered back in late Summer and didn't get theirs. 

I think if that's true, there's some validity to not being totally happy.  I feel orders should be completed in the order they're received.  At the same time I have no clue why a new order would get pushed through ahead of pre-orders.  It's not a likely scenario, but what if they ran out and you'd had your order in and didn't get it but some guy that put one in, in November, got his?  Then you'd have a real issue with angry consumers and in that situation I probably would be in favor of them NOT getting another exclusive.

But I doubt that would've happened anyway.  When I heard about people ordering in November and getting their figures, I decided to grease the wheel on my 3 since I didn't dilly dally on that very long once they were announced.

As things stand now I'd not be upset if Brian's Toys got more exclusives down the road so long as their similar in terms of quality, value/cost, obscurity, etc.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I think what upset anyone was, and I don't know if this is completely true or not, but from what I recall some people ordered right around November and it shipped right away while people had pre-ordered back in late Summer and didn't get theirs. 

I guess that just doesn't bother me.  I expected to get it in January, so if guys are ordering now and getting them and I get mine in January, then so be it.  If Brian's knows how many they are getting and not over selling, then they can ship out in whatever order they like. 

It's not a likely scenario, but what if they ran out and you'd had your order in and didn't get it but some guy that put one in, in November, got his?  Then you'd have a real issue with angry consumers and in that situation I probably would be in favor of them NOT getting another exclusive.

Absolutely.  But there's no sign of that happening here.  If you ordered early and didn't get it, then you'd really have a gripe, but I can't see getting angry about it beforehand. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Thing is, it might've SORT OF happened.

Initial delivery times were November...  I recall that because the plan was for me to divy ours up at the toy show in the first weekend of December.  November came and at some point things pushed back to (I thought) December, then back to January...  but people got theirs back in November.

So, from that perspective...  eh, it seemed like maybe things did get bumped for people expecting things sooner while others got theirs right when they expected it.

I don't care personally, just playing devil's advocate.  I am happy with the figure, the price, etc.  It took one email, and my set was in the mail next day.  I'm not upset.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40 PM »
It certainly appears that Brian's Toys doesn't really have any sort of "first in, first out" type of system for orders.  From all accounts, they are filling regular new orders and then back-filling the older pre-orders as they have spare time in the warehouse. 

On one hand, yeah it's kind of poopy that someone who ordered in November got theirs before someone who ordered in August, but on the other hand this is Brian's Toys first real foray into a big Star Wars exclusive and there were bound to be growing pains for them.  And like Justin said, the ship date for these has been listed as January since mid-July so in some ways you're still getting it ahead of schedule.  If you didn't have forums like these to let you know you're missing out, you wouldn't even know. :P

I look at it this way - the order process to get one was WAY simpler than trying to get other recent Hasbro exclusives (SDCC Death Star/Carbonite sets  ::)) and without Brian's taking a chance on this, we wouldn't have gotten it at all.  I'm fine with letting them learn from this and maybe improving their system in case they are asked to handle another exclusive in the future.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2012, 12:54 AM »
Exactly, I'm just going with teh flow on it.

But are you sure it listed mid-january that long?  We were planning divying them up in early December because of a November shipping time-frame but now I'm wondering where that came from?  Maybe that was just a rumor or a front page thing I read somewhere?

Either way I wound up with mine, I'm happy, I'd have been happy to get it in January too, it's good enough, it's priced ok for something obscure we'd likely not get any other way.  It's fine.

Those SDCC sets, I kinda wish they'd just not do an exclusive at this point if it's that big a stink, but at least it's not like it's assortments of new exclusive figures really.  I have a tough time counting Carbo Jar Jar or the mini-figures I guess, haha.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17 AM »
But are you sure it listed mid-january that long? 

From the front page:
Jocasta Nu - Pre-Orders Live

Site sponsor Brian's Toys is already taking pre-orders on their Exclusive Jocasta Nu figure! Estimated ship date is 1/31/13, and the cost is $24.99. Note: Credit Cards are being charged as soon as you place your order and not when the item ships. Order now!

Friday, July 13, 2012 | Jesse McCracken

:D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36 AM »
*shrugs*  Oh well...  I must've read that somewhere that it got bumped because I wasn't the only one who knew that info...  Local guys were talking about it supposedly hitting earlier than that...  and it did, but yeah, guess they figured that was plenty of time to fill the orders however they felt like.  ???