Author Topic: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu  (Read 50152 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Brian's Toy Exclusive - Jocasta Nu
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I think it's BS to be charged full price at the time of the order for something that isn't going to be ready for another 6 months, possibly more, which is the main reason I haven't ordered one yet. I can understand a down payment of like $5 or so considering this is the first time we've had one of these "Exclusive Figure Preorder" deals (I think), but Brian's Toys really likes money.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Think of the interest they are getting on the money too.

Personally I consider Brian's Toys a scalper site and will never buy from them. I wish JD didn't advertise for them but I understand the reasons for it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Do we know for sure that they actually clear the pegs of stores in order to boost up the prices they charge?  Because that's what scalping is.  Yes they overcharge, but that alone does not make them scalpers.  A scalper must profit from the shortage that he or she creates.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 10:43 PM »
I think that's a question that collectors in Wisconsin could probably answer.  I know another fairly prominent online toy retailer that just this (Toywiz.com if you were wondering), and that's based on seeing their employees doing just that.

That being said, having been to numerous conventions with some hot exclusives over the years, I've seen some disturbing things.  Like?  An organized group of Brians Toys employees using their exhibitor badges to get prime positions in line for the maximum number of convention exclusives on every day of the con.  I've seen it at SDCC, Star Wars Celebration and Wizard World Chicago (when Hasbro attended).  Those exhibitor badges are intended for use so that exhibitors can set up their booths, but the BT staff has used them to get a leg up on buying exclusives that could have been sold to convention attendees.

Granted, I am certain that Brians Toys are not the only online retailer have engaged in these types of practices.  But the appearance it creates to have your staffers who are ALL wearing Brians Toys polo shirts doing this is pretty unseemly.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2012, 01:16 AM »
UPDATE - My card got credited back for the charges that had been made when I placed my pre-order with Brians Toys for Jocasta Nu.  They seem to be getting a better grasp on things.

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Either that or they saw your post yesterday and were like "**** off, no Jocasta Nu for you!"
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 10:40 AM »
I remember reports, back in the day, of Brians Toys employees grabbing toys at retail. I've also seen them have Target exclusives on sale at their web site usually before I would see them at an actual Target store. How does an online retailer get ahold of another retail chain's exclusives before they show up in the store?

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 05:42 PM »
It's interesting...collectively, Star Wars collectors aren't very fond of Brian's Toys (and the practice of scalping) for a variety of reasons, yet, mysteriously, Brian's Toys continues to strive....and mysteriously, people still place their orders for a figure of that old bitty, and do so with a smile.   
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2012, 05:46 PM »
I'm sure if the devil had a deal where we could get every figure ever created for our souls, alot of us would jump at the chance.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14 PM »
It's interesting...collectively, Star Wars collectors aren't very fond of Brian's Toys (and the practice of scalping) for a variety of reasons, yet, mysteriously, Brian's Toys continues to strive....and mysteriously, people still place their orders for a figure of that old bitty, and do so with a smile.

Hey!  What are you doing here?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 08:20 PM »
From Galactic Hunter's Twitter:

@GalacticHunter
The people who clamored to see Jocasta Nu made need to put their money where their mouth/keyboard is and order multiples. #justsayin

- I ordered two, thanks!  Is it me, or does this tweet indicate that the people over at EE were opposed to Jocasta Nu?  And could that explain why we're talking so much about Brians Toys?

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 08:25 PM »
I think it means that maybe Adam would like to do more stuff like this, and if we want crazy exclusives, we need to make sure this doesn't flop.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 08:29 PM »

@GalacticHunter
The people who clamored to see Jocasta Nu made need to put their money where their mouth/keyboard is and order multiples. #justsayin

- I ordered two, thanks!  Is it me, or does this tweet indicate that the people over at EE were opposed to Jocasta Nu?  And could that explain why we're talking so much about Brians Toys?

If that is the case, I think EE left some money on the table. I bought two as well, happily, despite the fact Brian's Toys is king of the scalpers. Then again, EE ain't no great shakes either.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Hey!  What are you doing here?

Hey buddy - it's been a while, hasn't it?   ;)
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 09:15 AM »

@GalacticHunter

Claiming a "need" to support this is ludicrous. If I clamor for something in a $10 toy line, and they make it but charge 2 1/2 times the going rate, I am under no obligation to purchase one, much less multiples.

Would I expect a short run limited figure to cost the same as a retail purchase? No.
Do I think $10 is too much at retail, particularly with the line struggling to get out popular figures? Yes.

Normally I think Adam is spot on, but by the same logic as that tweet, anyone who wants a sailbarge is obligated to buy some MTT's. Because if the MTT doesn't move, the sailbarge can never fly.

I thought Jocasata was a good choice to be in the Clone Wars line. That is very different from saying I want one for $30 next February.