Author Topic: Raiders in IMAX ~ September 7-13  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Raiders in IMAX ~ September 7-13
« on: August 14, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Word from AICN is that Raiders of the Lost Ark might be coming to IMAX theaters in advance of the Blu Ray release.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Raiders in IMAX ~ September 7-13
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Can’t get enough ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark?’ Well, you’re about to get a lot more. To help promote the upcoming release of the Indiana Jones Blu-ray Box Set, we can confirm that Paramount will be re-releasing ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ in IMAX theaters this September.

As it went through the restoration process for Blu-ray, Paramount and Steven Spielberg also worked with IMAX on reformatting ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ for 70mm. The ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ will IMAX re-release will hit theaters starting on Friday, September 7th and run through until September 13th. (The ‘Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures’ Blu-ray box set hits shelves on September 18th.)

The IMAX re-release is expected to include both traditional IMAX and the Digital IMAX Experience (i.e., Fake IMAX). In addition to the IMAX re-release, ‘Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade’ will screen in 70mm at Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse from August 31st to September 6th.

An official press release is expected in the coming days with more information on exactly what theaters will be showing the IMAX re-release.

imax.com

(AMC is also advertising a marathon of all four movies on September 15 for $25 in select cities.)

amc.com

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:39 PM »
NYT.com: That’s a Big Boulder, Indy: Steven Spielberg on the Imax Rerelease of ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’

It’s the kind of revelation that would melt the face of any die-hard Indiana Jones fan (this time, with joy): “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” the 1981 adventure film that introduced that globe-trotting archaeologist, will receive a one-week Imax release next month, Lucasfilm said on Tuesday.

“For me, it’s always been the bigger the screen, the better,” Steven Spielberg, who directed “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and the three subsequent “Indiana Jones” sequels, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “It’s the only marked contrast we have to the generations that are seeing our movies on phones and hand-held platforms. It’s a complete relief to be able to see a film that many people have just experienced on a palm-sized platform technology, suddenly hurled at that them on an Imax-sized screen.”

Lucasfilm, the studio of the “Indiana Jones” executive producer George Lucas, said the Imax version of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” will receive a one-week theatrical release beginning on Sept. 7, in advance of the Blu-ray release of the Indiana Jones movies, which will go on sale Sept. 18. A list of theaters that will be showing the film can be found online at Imax.com.
Steven Spielberg in Beverly Hills this month.Kevin Winter/Getty ImagesSteven Spielberg in Beverly Hills, Calif., this month.

Mr. Spielberg, who with the sound designer Ben Burtt supervised the conversion of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” to Imax, said that no special effects or other visual elements of the film were changed. The audio, he said, had been enhanced for surround sound: “When the boulder is rolling, chasing Indy through the cave, you really feel the boulder in your stomach, the way you do when a marching band passes by, and you’re standing right next to it.”

But Mr. Spielberg — who is also in the process of converting his movie “Jurassic Park” to 3-D for an anniversary rerelease next year — said he had “no plans” to do Imax conversions of his other films, whether earlier efforts like “Jaws” or “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” or any of the “Indiana Jones” sequels.

“‘Raiders’ is a movie of my own, that I can actually stand to watch from beginning to end,” Mr. Spielberg said. “In that sense, it has a special place in my heart. I don’t rewrite it in my mind; I’m not kicking myself for what I didn’t do. I’m just going along for the ride like everybody else. It’s one of the few films that I’ve directed that I can sit back objectively and observe and enjoy with my family or whoever I’m with, or even alone. Most of my other films, I’m hypercritical of them.”

In these edited conversation excerpts, Mr. Spielberg talks about the process of bringing Indy to an even bigger screen and – of course – the prospects of an “Indiana Jones 5.”

Q: How does a film that wasn’t shot for Imax get converted to be shown that way?

A: There’s two fronts, on any successful conversion, to Imax resolution, which is significantly clearer and sharper, with much more depth and fidelity than the movie appeared in theaters in 1981. So the first tier is where you take the DI [digital intermediate] and you enhance the resolution to Imax resolution. The second tier is that the sound is significantly different. They take the [audio] stems that we gave them, and they put them through their 12,000 watts of digital surround sound, and it’s a totally uncompressed experience.

You kind of feel the sound in your chest, like when the boulder is rolling, chasing Indy through the cave. You really feel the boulder in your stomach, the way you do when a marching band passes by and you’re standing right next to it.

Q: How long ago did you have to get started on this process?

A: Ben went to work on the sound conversion over a year and a half ago, knowing that we were coming out on Blu-ray. This was Greg Foster’s idea, actually – he’s the head of Imax [Film] and it was his idea to give “Raiders” an interesting launching point before the Blu-ray hits the streets, to come out in all 275 of Imax’s North American theaters. I remember the days when we used to go to the Cinerama Dome or the Ziegfeld in New York, to see the 70 millimeter exclusive engagements. When I first started watching “Raiders” on the big Imax screen not too long ago, it reminded me of those old event-ized days.

Q: It’s funny – “Jaws,” which just came out on Blu-ray, was on about that many screens when it first came out, and that seemed massive for the time.

A: I think it came out on 425 screens on opening day, which was the largest and widest release in history. And now that just seems like an art film. That’s like an independent film release. But movie-going habits have changed, and people want things significantly faster than ever before, and they get tired of things significantly faster than ever before. The shelf life that movies experience in theatrical venues is much shorter. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” played for 14 months in some theaters, and that was just in first run. That just doesn’t happen any more. I’m glad to have been alive in part of that era, but now this is an era of supersonic entertainment at supersonic speeds.

Q: “Raiders” has its iconic scenes, like the boulder chase you mentioned, but it also has some wonderfully horrific moments, like when the Ark of the Covenant is opened. Do you think about how those moments will play at Imax size?

A: For me, it’s always been the bigger the screen, the better. It’s the only marked contrast we have to the generations that are seeing our movies on phones and hand-held platforms. It’s a complete relief to be able to see a film that many people have just experienced on a palm-sized platform technology, suddenly hurled at that them on an Imax-sized screen.

Q: In the same way that directors are now converting some of their previous movies for 3-D, could you see other films of yours being re-released in Imax if “Raiders” is successful?

A: “Jurassic Park” is the only film I’ve agreed to convert into 3-D, so I’m working on that right now for a 20th-anniversary release next April. But there’s not a lot of movies I want to go back into my archives and do this for. “Raiders” is a movie of my own, that I can actually stand to watch from beginning to end. In that sense, it has a special place in my heart. I don’t rewrite it in my mind, I’m not kicking myself for what I didn’t do. I’m just going along for the ride like everybody else. It’s one of the few films that I’ve directed that I can sit back objectively and observe and enjoy with my family or whoever I’m with, or even alone. Most of my other films, I’m hypercritical of them. I don’t have any plans to re-release “Close Encounters” or “Jaws.”

Q: And not with any of the Indiana Jones sequels, either?

A: I have no plans, and I had no plans to release this in Imax. Greg Foster called George [Lucas] and me and Paramount one day, and came up with this idea, and so this isn’t even something that I was dreaming about. This is someone else’s dream that I climbed aboard.

Q: As with the Imax release of “Raiders,” the Blu-ray releases of the Indy films are just upgrades in presentation – there are no other changes to the movies?

A: No, there’s no aesthetic changes to the films. I’m not going back and doing to any of my movies that are now coming out on Blu-ray what I did when “E.T.” was reissued for the third time and I made some digital changes in the picture. I’m not doing that any more. I’ve resigned myself to accepting that what the film was at the time of its creation is what it always should be for future generations. I’m no longer a digital revisionist.

Q: That’s something you learned from your experience with “E.T.”?

A: I learned from the fans. And now of course, we have the other group of fans who only know the other “E.T.” with the digital augmentation and that has become their standard for receiving that story. The only thing I think we can do is continue to manufacture and put out both versions. But it’s too complicated to that with any of my other movies – I’m pretty much going to release those films the way they were originally made.

Q: Your friend and partner on the Indy movies, George Lucas, feels differently, and has made changes to his “Star Wars” movies as they’ve been released in new formats. Is that O.K.?

A: It is. It’s a director’s prerogative, and a director needs to decide that for him or herself. George has decided that he can make digital changes to upgrade the special effects to 21st-century standards and that’s fine. But I’ve just decided not to do that, and since I have control of the “Raiders” movies, and by the way, to George’s credit, he never once called me and suggested that I do any digital enhancements. He was not knocking on my door, saying, “Steve, you’ve got to do this, you’ve got to do this.” He never said a word.

Q: When you made “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” you were taking your inspiration from many filmmakers of decades past. Now that a few decades have elapsed since then, do you see yourself having a similar influence on directors today?

A: I have a lot of contact with a lot of young filmmakers. I run a studio with Stacy Snider, and we meet so many first-time filmmakers, or filmmakers that haven’t even made their first film yet, so all these generations are constantly mixing together. It’s not like one generation replaces another. It’s one generation continuing to inspire another. I’m inspired by so many of the movies I’m looking at today that are made by first-time filmmakers. If I see any good movie, it makes whatever I’m doing currently a better movie. Just for its very existence, it will make my work better, if I’m inspired by somebody. I don’t look at this as a trickle-down effect. I look at this, sometimes, as how the creative community shares their art.

Q: Are you able to see new movies in theaters when they come out, or do you have to see them largely in screening rooms?

A: No, I see most of my movies in movie theaters with the public. I saw “The Dark Knight [Rises]” in a movie theater and I’ve seen most of the summer movies in movie theaters.

Q: That’s got to be a lot of pressure, sitting next to you or a row away from you at “The Dark Knight.”

A: The only pressure when I’m in a movie theater is when I’m walking out and somebody asks me how I like the picture, and I’m just afraid that no matter what I say, it’ll show up in a newspaper someday. [laughs] So I try not to answer the question.

Q: As long as we’re talking about the Indy movies: with your longtime producing partner Kathleen Kennedy now a co-chair at Lucasfilm, is this the time to start thinking about “Indiana Jones 5”?

A: I’m afraid to think about it. Because if I think about it, I’m really going to want to do it. But it’s not up to me – it’s up to George. So the person who needs to be thinking about it is George, not me. And I’ve given George my pledge that if he wants to write a fifth Indiana Jones movie, I’m his man to direct it. But it’s all up to him, and I don’t put any pressure on him. And if he decides that another one is warranted, I’ll be happy to direct it.

Q: Not a bad name to have on one’s short list.

A: Thank you.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Funny enough, I never saw "Last Crusade" in the theater.  For that, the marathon would be a great option for me to finally see the third chapter on the big screen.  The thing is, when it comes to these marathons I just don't know about sitting in a theater all day long.  Seeing 2 movies in a single day can be a bit exhausting.

However, seeing "Raiders" in IMAX would be very cool!  I'm definitely glad to have some IMAX theaters close by.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36 AM »
This is cool.  I just bought tickets for the fam to see this on Saturday 9/8.
"Really?  Sorry."