Author Topic: Will your collecting habits change?  (Read 16602 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Will your collecting habits change?
« Reply #15 on: September 5, 2012, 06:03 PM »
Ultimately I am thinking I will be happy for my wallet if I buy less here - because "The Hobbit" toys are looking pretty darn nice   ;)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: September 5, 2012, 08:09 PM »
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Like some of the others I had a very blah reaction to next year's offerings. It's entirely ground we've covered before. As others have said, the well is very dry when it comes to figures we do want, so in that sense Hasbro and the community are both victims of the line's success. I have no incentive at all to buy any of those figures next year, and that's probably a good thing. I've had patches of disinterest and boredom before, but there's always been something to keep me going, and any new CW aside, there is nothing now. All good things. I think I will scale back dramatically next year, and focus on vintage only.

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 5, 2012, 08:52 PM »
There's still a wealth of characters, from the OT, PT

A wealth, huh?  Wow, I must be missing some of the SW movies then.  Weren't there only 6 of them, or did I somehow miss a few over the years?  They didn't finally make that long-rumored sequel trilogy did they?  Man, I'll be pissed if I completely missed that!  Seriously though, I was just listing characters that are notable enough (in the movies or collecting community) for Hasbro to legitimately consider making in the immediate future.  I should've also included the various missing Amidala outfits too, and maybe Dorme.  Care to show off your extensive list of characters that don't require a Blu-ray freeze-frame of the movie to catch them?  Obviously there's dozens of additional uber-background characters throughout the saga which we'd probably all love to own (which 95% of us couldn't even name).  I have no doubt that Hasbro will eventually sprinkle a lot of these into the line over the next 8 years, but I'm smart enough to realize we won't be getting them all at once, and especially not in the first couple waves of a brand new line.  Like I estimated above, probably 90%+ resculpts and a small percentage of EU and all-new characters.  I guess it just comes down to our various levels of patience in getting the tiny fraction of new goodies.

So let me get this straight: your criteria for buying figures is that it simply has to have a Star Wars logo stamped on it, yes?

Pretty close, yeah.  Your cognitive skills are exceptional too, I might add.  Let me guess - you're at least a high school graduate, yes?  Congrats.

I guess having the buying habits of an automaton makes life more simple in the sense that you don't really need to expend any thought whatsoever in your purchases.

Exactly.  See how pleasant "collecting" can be?  I can easily save my brain for far more challenging matters, like trying to keep my Blu-ray collection "complete" too.  Uh-oh.  There I go, using the "C" word again.  I hope you're not having another rage-induced seizure.  Seriously, the way you continuously whine and bitch every time someone says the word complete, or collects differently than you do (Clone Wars, etc.), reminds me of a couple of my petulant nieces and nephews who constantly fuss when they feel like their friends have more toys than they do.  Childish.  I'd love to give them some prozac to calm them the hell down, but they're obvbiously too young.  Might be something worth considering for yourself though, since it's painful to watch someone come off so completely sad, mad and miserable.

It's just a hobby dude.  Calm yourself.
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 5, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Looks like I pinched a nerve.  Relax Mikey, relax.  Don't let my opinion bother you so much.  Just continue to be Hasbro's ideal customer and gulp everything down like a nice little boy. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #19 on: September 5, 2012, 09:50 PM »

Personally, I hate when non-canonical material rewrites the established Star Wars history.  As it is, the PT already does that.  With Clone Wars, it does this on a much larger scale, IMO.  I just don't care for the series at all.

I kinda see your point, but to me, these are more "pure" than any comic or novel or game, because they come from Lucas himself.  And, since I gave up on the novels, comics and games, because they seemed less "Star Warsy" year after year, I don't see any contradictions.

Spirit of Mace...the word "wealth" really may mean different things to different people, I don''t think it's worth arguing over.  And, yes, I do see a wealth of ideas.  Let's say that we can come up with only 10 new, unmade characters from each film.  That's 60 figures right there. 10 a year would keep me interested for 6 more years!

And, you know what, I love the figures you have to freeze frame to see.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2012, 10:22 PM »
And, you know what, I love the figures you have to freeze frame to see.

I spent the other night watching Jedi and just glancing about Jabba's Palace and Home One for interesting figures. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Yeah.  I still want that Mon Cal officer type guy with the big pouches on his belt.  He's right next to Ackbar when he talks about the Death Star.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 5, 2012, 10:30 PM »
It also made my artistic side kick in and want to get into dioramas (I've never done one so it'd be a feat) since I wish they would make the Emperor's Throne Room or the command deck of the Executor.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: September 5, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Yeah.  I still want that Mon Cal officer type guy with the big pouches on his belt.  He's right next to Ackbar when he talks about the Death Star.

I've dubbed him a Mon Cal Commando. :)

Guys, don't fight...  not worth it. 

I kind of agree with Pete that completists are collecting just to have a complete collection...  I'm sure they'd all have a breaking point, hopefully long before belly-button-lint.

And I agree with Spirit on the "wealth" of stuff, at least from the movies...  EU I give you there though FG, and wish they'd go that direction more, at least with the collector line.  The movie's wealth, at least for new, lies in obscurity at this point...  Not that we don't have obscurity but the line has to have balance.  I'm glad realistic CW is helping to at least make classic characters "new" again to a degree.  OW in his toon armor, and that Ani was a top fig for me last year.  Rex is a top for me next year but it's utter horse **** he doesn't have both phase 1 and 2 helmets...  ::)

For 2013 I'm figuring if things are at least easy enough to nab at stores for the most part, I'll probably just pick and choose a bit more...  I dropped the whole completist things circa 1999/2000 when I looked around and everything turned to **** in a heartbeat with the line.  To me you could find it all, but it all sucked, so it can be worse than 2012.  ;D

Then eventually the same thing took over with me and vehicles...  I got to a point where small vehicles just didn't cut it and I easily skipped them.

So for me, 2013's looking like I might just save a little, cut back some...  And that's probably for the best with me right now.  I'm thinking a bit for the next couple months on my collecting in general I guess.  I like a lot of it just because I like improving a figure and taking something inferior off the shelves.  So resculpts are ok for me I guess.  I'm open to whatever they wanna try.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 6, 2012, 12:34 AM »
I love the figures you have to freeze frame to see.

I spent the other night watching Jedi and just glancing about Jabba's Palace and Home One for interesting figures.

I'm with you guys.  That's what makes the Star Wars universe so interesting: the background aliens and obscure characters.  And EU characters are pretty much always successful in terms of sales.  I guess some people would much rather gobble down on 30 versions of Obi-Wan, Vader & Clone Troopers with a great big smile.  To each their own.... 

To be honest, I'm not sure why a completist would even bother reading or posting in this thread.  Will their collecting habits change?  Never.  They buy everything. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2012, 01:08 AM »
I was about 90% convinced that following the vintage collection I would be a cherry picker. Following SDCC and CVI it was confirmed. Part of me felt like i was abandoning something i have loved for so long but the interest and obvious year of re sculpts isn't doing it for me. I will still pick up random background aliens from Jabba's palace if they make any but I am content saying I am done.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #26 on: September 6, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Part of me felt like i was abandoning something i have loved for so long but the interest and obvious year of re sculpts isn't doing it for me.

I feel the same way.  It's odd, really.  It's been my hobby since 1995, and earlier.  And here it is, the point that I just might stop...it just might fade away into dullness.  I think that's why I started this thread, because this is actually bringing up strong feelings in me.  Like moving on from a best friend, or moving from a town you loved...

Who knows, maybe at ToyFair they will show something interesting and this will just be a phase.  I'm still not buying the droid factory line...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 6, 2012, 03:06 AM »
Looking at those first couple of waves of the DROID FACTORY line, I definitely feel like I SHOULD be selective.  The definite buys for me?

Wave 1
- Arena Padme (It's about time!) BUY
- Rockets R2  (Gotta wait and see if this is any kind of improvement over the 2007 release)
- Ep2 Anakin  BUY
- Ep2 Clone SGT (Meh.  Is this a removable helmet version?)
- Geonosian Warrior (Meh)
- Luminara  (Looks like a definite improvement over the ROTS version) BUY
- Biker Scout (Is this the same as the Speeder Bike pack-in?)
- TIE Pilot  BUY
- RED Battle Droid (Meh)
- Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron)  (Meh.  How many Sandtroopers does one person need?)
- Pablo Jill  BUY
- 212th Clone (Again? Meh)

BADs = TC-70 & FA-4

Wave 2
Mace Windu Clone Wars Armor  BUY
Captain Rex  BUY
Luke Yavin Ceremony (Significant improvement over the 30AC version) BUY
Mara Jade Jedi  BUY
Darth Vader Bespin  BUY
A-Wing Pilot  BUY
Biggs Darklighter  (Significant improvement over the 30AC version) BUY
Ep 2 Clone Pilot (Meh)

The only incentive that I can see for buying all of the figures are the BAF droid parts.  Otherwise I'd definitely be cherry picking figures from these assortments.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2012, 03:08 AM »
I'm with you guys.

I don't mean to frighten you here (and hopefully you don't attempt to flip-flop now), but I’m with you all as well, or maybe you just selectively skipped over that part of my prior post:

Obviously there's dozens of additional uber-background characters throughout the saga which we'd probably all love to own...

I love the most background of background characters as much as anyone.  But again, I was just talking about what I realistically expect to see out of Hasbro, which is several of those figures sprinkled in sporadically each year across the course of the license, but not within the first couple waves of a new line.  If Lot Dodd, Yarna, Wuher, and Malikili all sell like crap, how well do you think Tey How, Ann Gella, Toonbuck Toora, Cin Drallig, Mosep, Baniss Keeg, Tsivvzt, Treva Horme, and Fozec are going to sell?  If I was a betting man, I’d say we’re going to get every single one of those figures eventually, and I’ll be excited as hell when we do.  I’m just not going to quit the line until they come out, or get myself into a panicked or even disappointed state when they’re not announced within any given new wave.  The line is what it is now – primarily resculpts, with hopefully some new EU characters thrown into the mix from time to time to liven things up.  If you can’t see that, and are expecting something different from Hasbro, you’re living in fantasyland, and will surely be in a constant state of disappointment with the remainder of the line.

Just continue to be Hasbro's ideal customer and gulp everything down like a nice little boy.

Fortunately, I am a good little boy who gets a super swell allowance from his parents, so I have the luxury of affording every new smirking Obi-Wan, furled eye-browed Anakin, scowling Maul, expressionless Vader, bulging helmeted Clone, whining Luke, and exclusive George Lucas with belly-button lint (better have a removable plaid shirt and be the waddle-less 70’s version though).  And since I still live for the “thrill of the hunt”, I greatly enjoy tracking each and every one of them down.  My joy is now somewhat diminished, however, as I had no idea of the tremendously negative impact my toy purchasing has on your mental well-being.  I feel horrible too, for helping to ruin this toy line that we’re all here collecting.

To be honest, I'm not sure why a completist would even bother reading or posting in this thread.

To be honest, I’m not sure why someone who gets so upset over other people’s Star Wars toy purchasing habits is posting on a Star Wars collecting forum.  Well, actually, I do know the answer to that, but inherent trolling is a discussion best served elsewhere.  Also, based on much of what I’ve read around these boards, it looks like most of the head-honchos around here were at one time completists as well (as were apparently many others JD members).  Should they not have been posting on their own boards here until they overcame their abnormal and repulsive afflictions?  Have you directed similar angst at JD mods like Scott, Rob and Jeff in recent years for having been completists too, or is it solely reserved for Pete_Fett and I in 2012?

I think speedermike's thread here had a very valid question, speaking to exactly what many collectors have gone through over the years: former completists who have turned the page to being more selective due to time, money, space, family, resculpts, repacks, distribution, etc.  It’s just a natural progression in the life of many collectors (especially over the course of 17 years), though a progression I don’t foresee myself making anytime soon, hence my original answer to this thread’s specific question.  In fact, why would speedermike be asking folks who are already selective with their figure purchasing if they're going to remain selective based on the relatively boring waves 1 & 2 of the new 2013 line?  Aside from the obvious B-A-D aspect (which Mike isn't emphasizing), that'd be a borderline stupid and seemingly repetitive question.  If anything, this thread is geared more towards completists (or those closer to it) than already selective buyers like yourself, so perhaps you're the one who shouldn't be replying here, eh?  Think about it.  :P

Also, please don't confuse my lengthy post(s) with you getting my knickers in a twist.  You give yourself too much credit.  I just greatly enjoy putting idiots in their place, that's all, and sometimes that takes more than pathetic one-liners to adequetly accomplish.  With that in mind, I’ll let you get back to your boringly predictable and far more "succinct" juvenile digs now FG.  I’ve said my peace.

[/Mikey]

« Last Edit: September 6, 2012, 08:00 AM by SpIrIt Of MaCe »
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 6, 2012, 09:08 AM »
With Vintage on hold, I will buy half as much since I'll be going back to a non-carded collection.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."