Author Topic: JediDefender's EXCLUSIVE Hasbro Interview!  (Read 7848 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
JediDefender's EXCLUSIVE Hasbro Interview!
« on: August 9, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Hey folks,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Chris Rhoads has posted a very awesome interview he had with a Hasbro Exec.  Don't waste any more time reading what I have to say...

Check out the interview now!
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 02:47 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Rhoads' EXCLUSIVE Hasbro Interview!
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2003, 11:38 PM »
Good job on the questions Chris.  Sandcrawler.  Heh. ;D

Didn't like Andy's response on the distribution issue, but oh well.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2003, 11:52 PM »
Nice interview, but the answers weren't anything I haven't heard before. ::)

If they are waiting for stores to pick up the exclusive stuff, such as the Sandcrawler and Cantina Sets, then why not just ship them to all of the stores?
« Last Edit: August 9, 2003, 11:54 PM by Slave_531 »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 02:19 AM »
Hey man, sorry I started a separate topic for this issue in Saga...  I should've known one of you would beat me to the punch and put it in the Announcements section (Which I didn't even glance at tonight...  Duh me I guess).

I agree with the sentiments of others that some answers we got were not what we wished to hear...  In some cases I doubt they're the answers that accurately reflect the facts either.

The issue of rubbery plastic for weapons was brought up to Hasbro before, and at that time they said it was industry standards forcing them to, now they say they're doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts?  Something's strange there.  And at a higher cost?  Interesting...  In my work with liquid plastics I've not found that flexible plastics cost more than rigid.  It's actually quite the opposite.  

I still feel that's more a cost-cutting issue more than anything else.  

The other issue I found curious was the "Kids like action poses, not articulation" answer.  

This basically goes 100% against the intensely strong sales of G.I. Joe to not only adult collectors but also to children.  I think it's once again an issue where articulation is cut to save $ in a line that's retail strength has been waning in recent years.  

Good news on the Sandcrawler of course though, for those who were interested in this vehicle (Seemed like quite a few people).  It's not one I was looking forward to for various reasons, but it's good for those who were.

Now that new A-Wing, THAT is another story...  Man I need 3 of those beasts! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Obi-Juan

• Youngling
  • Don't make me Pimp Smack you Vader!!!
    • View Profile
Chris Rhoads' EXCLUSIVE Hasbro Interview!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 06:13 AM »
Glad to see you asked some good questions.  Too bad he doesn't know anything about the convention figure.    >:(
Pimp-Jedi.

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Nice work! Thanks for sharing the news with all of us.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 10:34 AM »
Hey, great job on the interview Chris!  It was also great to finally meet you!  :)

We had a different rep at the Star Wars Fan Club breakfast and he pretty muched covered what you stated.  The only thing I didn't know anything about was that the Clone Wars cartoon would premier Friday night on November 7th at 8:00pm (it will actaully be a three minute shot in between shows) and for the next nine consecutive nights, they will air the other nine new ones.  They will then repeat them again through February at different times and will do the next ten new ones in March.  He did state that March was the ESTIMATED date at that it could be pushed forward.
He also reiterated that the 12" line will continue but will not include any clone wars characters.

On another note, the rep for Master Replica (who works for theforce.net) stated a new release will be announced at Dragon con but I couldn't get much more out of him than that  ;).

All in all, the breakfast with Warwick Davis was the highlight of the whole convention.  He is a fantastic speaker and his one-liners were keeping everyone in stiches.  The autograph area was a close second.  Ray Park was such a cool guy to meet (I was first in line so I also got to meet Lord Stimpy from the 'scums forums as he was helping Philip).  The area wasn't busy Friday so I got a chance to chat with almost everyone (even if I wasn't getting an autograph of those I had from C2).  Shannon had her adorable baby there and it was just an interesting time talking "normal" stuff with these individuals.  Sean Astin was also very sweet and even though the handlers were pushing the guests throught the line at top spead, he was gracious to everyone who talked to him (and I can say first hand, that the line cutter wacko that grabbed his hand and asked him to say the elvish prayer would have made me VERY nervous, but he just smiled and thanked her).

I'll post pictures later today on my web page.  Again,  it was great to meet you Chris.  I hope you got your clone trooper!! ( I didn't end up with any of the figures that were in the drawing). :P
Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 11:26 AM »
Again,  it was great to meet you Chris.  I hope you got your clone trooper!! ( I didn't end up with any of the figures that were in the drawing). :P

Beth, is was great meeting you there!  Finally I was able to meet someone in person from JediDefender!  :)

And no, unfortunately I wasn't lucky enough to win one of those busts.   :'(
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 01:18 PM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 11:11 PM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2003, 04:17 PM »
Those photo's are FANTASTIC!!  I knew I should of used my digital instead of the one my hubby had in his pocket.  I didn't see either Fett there but I did see the other ones.  
Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2003, 04:23 PM »
I didn't see either Fett there but I did see the other ones.  

Those two Fetts are friends of mine from the local 501st.  Great guys, and those costumes are perfect!
dustrho

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 06:33 PM »
Yes, those costumes are very well done.

Here's a link to my small photo collection of WW2003:

Wizard World 2003 Photo's
Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 08:40 PM »
Nice photos Beth!  Love all the pictures with you getting signatures from everyone.  
dustrho

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2003, 11:47 PM »
The JediDefender.com Wizard World Chicago coverage archive is now online and 100% complete. Images of the everything shown by Hasbro can be seen, as well as a summary of the event and the exlusive interview with Hasbro. Please click here to view the content. Enjoy!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Fantastic photo's from both Chris & Beth.   8)
Nice to hear that you both met & looks like a lot of fun.