Author Topic: More "Vintage Special Action Figure Sets"?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
More "Vintage Special Action Figure Sets"?
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:32 AM »
These 2-packs, at these prices, are more in line with what I think the line should be at, price-wise...  Would people be into more rounds of these?  I can't imagine there's going to be many no's to that query but you never know.

I was thinking, especially with the AT-ST Pilot sets, how cool future sets could be... 

My immediate want is Fleet Trooper/Stormtrooper sets.  Either 2 RFT's and 2 ST's or 1 of each in a set, maybe two sets with maybe slightly different decoes.  I love the packaging and would enjoy something like that, done relatively inexpensive with minimal new toolings and maybe different decoes or accessories.  Too bad these didn't happen till the end of the line.  This format has potentional I think.

My 2nd want would be "Death Star Trooper/Naval Officer" 2-pack...  Take the new DST, repaint the head with a new deco to the hair, voila... new trooper.  Take another of the new DST's, put a new head on it, put an imperial officer hat on it...  voila, make one of the random black tuniced officers (if you wanna be picky, add a rank badge, but I could live without it).

I'd dig a Sandtrooper/Sandperson too...  maybe make the Sandtrooper a unique deco/rank, new long storm/sandtrooper rifle (the one Chewie uses on the Death Star) and put in the Vintage Sandperson with a new deco, maybe some "war trophy" type accessories and stuff?

Simple sets like that would really be interesting to me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:35 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: More "Vintage Special Action Figure Sets"?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:18 AM »
Did the black tunic officers wear the longer gloves? The jumpsuited ones did (or Hasbro thinks they did, not sure). Internet image searches seem to fail me on this.

I'm wanting the comic packs back for Tag and Bink, not because I like their stories that much but for 2 Rebel Fleet Trooper or Stormtroopers (or less so, TIE Pilots) with new heads.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:34 AM »
I think this is a fantastic idea! And it would have so many possibilities. The only thing I would question is mixing them up, or keeping them uniform (one of each or two of the same kind). But here's some other possibilities...

• Endor Trooper 2 packs (a great way to get the different uniform troopers out there...there was a lot of variety with the rebels)
• Stormtroopers (I would buy pretty much every one I see, provided they avoid the boneheaded paint ops mistake of TVC)
• Rebel Fleet Troopers
• Hoth Rebel Troopers
• Snowtroopers
• Hoth rebel officers (the brown vested trooper)
• Gammorean guards
• Sandtroopers (with different ranks, but I would love the option to buy 2 of the black pauldron sandies in a pack, since they're the most prevalent.
• Dresselian rebels (generic, non-hero)
• Bespin guards
• Imperial officers (black tunic)
• Naval troopers

These would be excellent for army builders. Notice I opted to not include the clones, because I feel like letting Hasbro go wild with clones is akin to trusting a junkie to "hold onto" a bag of dope. Plus, what's worse than a clone trooper with a yellowing helmet? Two of them...in the same pack.

I could also see Hasbro expanding on this to give us some non-movie (and non Yuzhan-Vong) 2 packs...

• Noghri warriors!
• Mandalorian troopers
• Sith troopers (KOTOR)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40 PM »
What about using them as a vehicle to give us a re-release of the Imperial Scanning Crew tech AND the variant figure and accessory they had planned but had to cancel?

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:20 PM »
That figure wasn't much of a variant, but the accessory was...  I'd be cool with that.  The figure, I'm pretty sure, didn't have a unique head.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:24 PM »
What about using them as a vehicle to give us a re-release of the Imperial Scanning Crew tech AND the variant figure and accessory they had planned but had to cancel?

The missing Scanning Crew guy is coming in the Droid Factory line in 2013
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Oh okay - thanks. Hadn't heard that sorry...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »
I'd totally be down with the idea of having more 2-packs.  I'd love it if they made 2-packs of: Stormtroopers, Hoth Rebel Troopers, Snowtroopers, Bespin Guards, Death Star Troopers, Death Star Gunners, and last but certainly not least, ASTROMECHS! 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:42 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Awesome!  I must have missed that note.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32 PM »
I didn't recall that either but that's cool...  I've seen a prototype of the original so I wonder if they're changing it or just putting the last figure out with the upper box?

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:37 PM »
I'd be down for a Cantina and Jabba themed set. Maybe a sandtrooper and a funky alien and a Gammo and a funky alien or somthing along those lines.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16 AM »
The absolute best 2-pack Hasbro could give us would be the Tonnika Sisters, of course.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I don't know if "new" was what I was hoping for with this topic as much as "new-ish".  Like the current ones...  A new head, helmet, or some new gear...  Minor changes was more my thinking.

Start getting too new, and you're probably looking at $20 2-packs. :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48 PM »
The absolute best 2-pack Hasbro could give us would be the Tonnika Sisters, of course.

And they will make it an exclusive thru Brian's Toys for $80. $120 if you want mint on card.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 04:25 PM »
I think we need a Scott Pearson exclusive:

Willrow Hood & Fozec

;)