Author Topic: Your DVD Collection  (Read 43568 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Your DVD Collection
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I just passed 600 with this one:

For your answer Scott, I have watched about 580 of the movies we have bought.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2005, 03:30 PM »
I started "collecting" DVDs pretty gung-ho a couple years ago.  But about 6-8 months ago I got completely disenfranchised with all the DVDs that I'd bought all of the sudden becoming superceded and obsolete, with better editions coming out of practically everything I'd ever bought.  So I finally threw in the towel, and have been laying very low on the DVD front of late, just picking up the major must-have titles, like LOTR EE's and whatnot.

But I mentioned that I was "collecting" them, which I think is (embarrassingly) rather accurate, since I hadn't even opened about 75% of them.  It was just another collection for me, which was kinda dumb in hindsight.  Oh well.  I still have 'em all, probably about 300 or so.

I'll probably get back into DVDs next year, once all the ROTS hoopla has settled down a bit, hopefully freeing up a little more spending money.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:07 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2005, 03:35 PM »
I went just over 500 a week or two ago.  Life Aquatic 2-Disc put me at 501 Titles.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kneel+before+zod

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I've got about 100. I've watched all of them, most of them I've watched dozens of times.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2005, 05:46 PM »

Question for you Cory or anyone with a large DVD library...what % of what you own have you watched?

I sort of went on hiatus because I have still like 25% of the movies not even out of the wrappers yet :-[

I've watched 75% of what I have bought, because a lot of the times, I rent something and like it so much, if I ever find it, I'll buy it and just hang onto it. I buy most everything used. 75% of my collection are pawn shop purchases. Retail is reserved for new releases. I've added so many titles for $5 or less, thanks to pawn shops, including OOP stuff. It's just like the old days of SW hunts.

The number of movies I have really isn't important. I've come to find, I like a lot more movies than I had ever imagined, and finding so many for $4.99, considering the profit I make from selling them, the ones I get are essentially free to me, which makes it easier to show some leniency.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:47 PM by Cine »

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I have 28 DVDs in my collection.  They are all Doctor Who discs and I need to buy them all to maintain the “set”. To this end I have another 6 DVDs in a box set on their way which are Region 1 and not available in the UK.  They have different cover designs which set them apart from the standard British releases so I hope I don’t develop a side line which could involve getting ALL the US R1 discs! The Who DVDs are “collected” because, just like with Star Wars figures, it’s very important to own them all regardless of whether I actually like them or not.

I have about 20 other DVDs which are just things to watch rather than collectables.  I don’t feel the need to have any more discs as most films are shite and not worth playing more than once.

So here’s my collection:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 06:33 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2005, 08:02 PM »
I'm two away from 400

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Uhm, I have 10...  Counting my LOTR EE set and SWSE DVD set...

*sigh*  :(

I will say, I want to buy up more Hammer Horror films and stuff like that (Vincent Price flicks, etc.).  When I found out they were on DVD I was all like, hell yeah!

EDIT:

Oh and I just noticed your sig Jamie, that about made me do a spit take.  Definitely worthy of quoting.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:21 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2005, 12:03 AM »
I haven't watched all of mine - not even close.  Now, I've SEEN most of the movies that I have - but I'd say 30 to 40% of mine haven't been watched since I bought them.  Which tranlsates into somewhere in the neigborhood of 150 to 200 DVDs.   :P

But it's about options for me - the option to never go to blockbuster on any given night should the need arise.  It's also a collection, I like to own my favorite movies.  It's also a reference library - lots of times I use DVDs at work for reference on various projects. 

I just simply don't have a third of the free time that it would require to watch every movie that I want to watch, read every book I want to read, play every video game I want to play, still be social, still spend time with my dogs and girlfriends, still go to work, and still get some sleep - so there you have it, I have books, video games, and movies that I haven't gotten to yet and in many cases likely never will.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2005, 12:30 AM »
I lost count on the DVD collection... topped out at around 1400 a few months back, and I haven't had a chance to update my list in quite a while (back before Christmas was the last time I did):

That pic was taken sometime around a year or so ago, I think.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2005, 12:40 AM »
Thank you Dave for giving me a picture I can show my girl when she says I have too much stuff!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2005, 01:01 AM »
I was at the customer service desk at Best Buy once and there was this guy there buying about 5 dozen blank VHS tapes - and he was on a first name basis with all the Best Buy guys - he went on to mention that he has around 2700 DVDs - he buys almost every new release every week - or so he said.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2005, 01:50 AM »
I remember that. I think I've adopted your way of thinking, Rob. As of late, I've been walking into Hollywood Video and right back out, empty handed, all because I've seen all they have..literally, and I can just go home and swipe one of my favorite movies off of the shelf.

Now, 2,700 isn't impressive, infact, it's scary, IMO. I can't think of 1,000 movies that have a tremendous rewatch value. Personally, I don't entertain others, I'm not social at all, so I get what I like, watch them whenever, and that's how it goes. I've learned to stop buying those movies that I like even moderately. Just ones I can get cheap, will watch again, and will compliment other sections of my library. (i.e. got the 2 disc UE of "Legend" 2 days ago to build up my "Fantasy" branch)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 01:52 AM by Cine »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2005, 07:32 AM »
I lost count on the DVD collection... topped out at around 1400 a few months back, and I haven't had a chance to update my list in quite a while (back before Christmas was the last time I did):

That pic was taken sometime around a year or so ago, I think.

Holy Schitzu :o

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Wowzers, thanks for that pic Dave, my wife thinks we're crazy for having the 70 that we have.  As to the original question, I think we have watched pretty much all (or at least most) of the DVDs we have.  When we purchase movies, we pretty much watch them that night or the following weekend, so I think we've seen each movie at least once.  We also have several TV season sets, which I'm pretty sure we haven't seen all of.  Most, but not all.  There are a number of DVDs that I look back now and realize I didn't need, and that we'll probably never watch.  When we first got our player, we wanted to have some movies, so went out and purchased a couple just to have...now we probably couldn't give them away :P.  It has become somewhat of a "collection" to us as well though.  I've always been very interested in movies overall, and that is probably our favorite "date thing" to do...catch a movie, or rent some.  Some of your collections here are very impressive....400, 500, 1400!  Wow.  That's a lot of stuff to watch.