Author Topic: Iron Man (Movie and Sequels)  (Read 19605 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man (Movie and Sequels)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 04:21 PM »
I liked the trailer.  Just enough substance and tease on what else will be included.  This is the film I'm most looking forward to for next year. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52 PM »
I haven't followed a ton of spoilers on this or anything, but I have read that the "Iron Patriot" (not sure if it is called that in the movie) is actually the new look for War Machine/Rhodey in the movie.  I think there may have been some set pics leaked or something with Cheadle in that armor actually.  I like the references to Avengers in the trailer/movie, and that they are continuing to keep that continuity.

I think that makes more sense than the comic version of Iron Patriot being introduced at this point.  I think Stark losing everything is a good basis for the story, but I wish they had tied into the alcholism angle.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Tackling the alcoholism aspect in the film would likely feel tacked on and I am sure many would feel that whatever resolution there would be to the story that it happens too fast to be realistic.  In comic, this kind of arc can be fleshed out for a long time.  In a movie of this nature, it would likely just seem silly.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48 PM »
They could maybe pull off the alcoholism thing because he loses everything, etc.  They could have a certain passing of time from where he loses everything to when he pulls himself together (Six years later...).  But, I don't want this to be a quick resolution, too, because alcoholism is a serious issue.  I wonder if this Iron Man could be like Empire and Jedi... have it end badly and have the resolution in the following Marvel film (whether it's IM or Avengers).  That could work.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21 PM »
There's been an ongoing theme of Tony drinking through all of the films.  In the first film, cocktails with the generals after the missile demo, and the benefit scene.  In the second film there's his birthday party scene where he clearly gets out of control.  And in Avengers he's drinking while talking with Loki.  So the groundwork for Stark's alcoholism has at the very least been established. 

The trailer seems as though someone wants to take EVERYTHING from Tony.  Perhaps that loss will be the catalyst to develop a storyline which looks more closely at the alcoholism issue? 

But in that respect, we may not have some of the other plot devices available that the comic writers had.  Case in point:  there was a point in the comics where Tony Stark gave up being Iron Man.  He handed the mantle over to Jim Rhodes at that point while he dealt with his drinking problem.  And at that point in time, nobody knew Iron Man's secret identity, so having Rhodey fill in as Iron Man worked.  It wasn't until after Stark had come back as Iron Man that a new suit was developed specifically for Rhodes, and he became War Machine.  But that storyline isn't possible since the films have done their own thing with regard to the timeline.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:12 PM »
There's been an ongoing theme of Tony drinking through all of the films.  In the first film, cocktails with the generals after the missile demo, and the benefit scene.  In the second film there's his birthday party scene where he clearly gets out of control.  And in Avengers he's drinking while talking with Loki.  So the groundwork for Stark's alcoholism has at the very least been established. 

Exactly.  I don't think this would be totally out of left field given what has been set up so far.  They could make his ruin initially self-made because of the alcoholism, have him lose everything and give up the suit.  Then maybe Rhodey fights the Mandarin and Tony needs to get sober and start over to save him.  I think you can fit that into a movie, especially given the initial setup work and the fact that we don't seem to know just how long will pass between Avengers movie.  The catch is that he would probably need to get everything resolved before Avengers 2.

But in that respect, we may not have some of the other plot devices available that the comic writers had.  Case in point:  there was a point in the comics where Tony Stark gave up being Iron Man.  He handed the mantle over to Jim Rhodes at that point while he dealt with his drinking problem.  And at that point in time, nobody knew Iron Man's secret identity, so having Rhodey fill in as Iron Man worked.  It wasn't until after Stark had come back as Iron Man that a new suit was developed specifically for Rhodes, and he became War Machine.  But that storyline isn't possible since the films have done their own thing with regard to the timeline.

That storyline was also closely tied to Stane taking over the company and the introduction of Iron Monger, so they obviously couldn't go the same route as the comics regardless of Stark going public or Rhodey already having his own suit. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 10:54 PM »
Not sure how I missed this, but another classic Avenger may be introduced in Iron Man 3.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Not sure how I missed this, but another classic Avenger may be introduced in Iron Man 3.

Another article here about Stephanie Szostak.  Not sure what to think of her, but that picture in Nick's link is perfect for Janet.

http://nerdbastards.com/tag/stephanie-szostak/

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Agreed, I've said in the past that I think they missed the boat a little by including Hulk and leaving out the Pym, Van Dyne, Ultron story which can lead to Vision, Wonder Man and Scarlet Witch but maybe that will be Phase II or III anyway. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 06:42 PM »
From the standpoint of looking at the begining of Avengers run in Marvel comics, I agree, Scott.  But the Avengers movie wound up being REALLY jammed up with plot points that I think including Wasp & Ant Man would have left the movie pretty cluttered.  Especially with the SHIELD weapons subplot.  That's something that you didn't have in the original launch of the Avengers comic, but is a product of the Ultimates universe.  Still, I think that SHIELD was the perfect catalyst/plot device for bringing the core Avengers together for the Marvel film universe.

What about some of the other major plot points?  When you also factor in how Avengers really served to advance the story of Banner and the Hulk?  The Hulk FINALLY came into his own after 2 films that didn't necessarily do the character justice.  I think the absence of Wasp & Ant Man was a case of addition by subtraction.  And introducing Wasp and others in the movies leading up to the Avengers sequel seems like it might be a good way to go.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I love what Joss did in the Avengers with the Hulk and given his soaring popularity I'm so sure he will be back for more.  I would agree that bringing Hank and Janet into that same story would have been tough, but less so if they had released an Ant Man movie beforehand. I am glad see some indication of them coming into the fold though.  Ultron would be a fantastic future villian for the team down the road.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 5, 2013, 12:24 PM »
New Iron Man 3 trailer is up at Yahoo...wow:

http://movies.yahoo.com/marvel/

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #27 on: March 5, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Best one yet!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 5, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Based on that last clip, they should be calling this Iron Men 300.  Looks great!

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 5, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Epic!!