Author Topic: New ultra-articulated white Clonetrooper finally!?  (Read 7895 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New ultra-articulated white Clonetrooper finally!?
« on: August 10, 2003, 07:25 AM »
Those GH super news scoops are at it again, this time reporting that Hasbro will FINALLY be releasing an uber-articulated (14 points) standard white Clonetrooper!  It's said to be coming with the Kit Fisto and Saesee Tiin figures near the tail end of the CW line.  Assuming this to be true, I can only imagine that eventually Hasbro will stick this guy on a standard Saga card as well.  I fear the availability of this highly desired army building figure since it's being released in what will be a less than popular toy line (CW), near the tail end of it, and likely in not such high quantities.

BUT, at least Hasbro has FINALLY gotten their act together and purportedly made this super Trooper finally, so that's definitely a positive sign!  Hopefully it'll find it's way to retail in sufficient quantities for everybody at some point(s) in the future.

So, how many are YOU gonna get?!

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: New ultra-articulated white Clonetrooper finally!?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 12:49 PM »
That's great...  I think that between Kit,  Saesee and the Clonetrooper that they will sell really well.  They may be the redeeming factor for the entire CW line...  As far as how many,  as many as I can get my little grubby hands on! ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 12:55 PM »
I would hope that they will be sold in a 3 or 4 pack, because I will be buying a ton of them.  Yeah baby!  Love the idea of articulation... especially on a Clone Trooper!
dustrho

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Hopefully it will be released in sufficient quantities (like at least 3-4 per case), be packed into the SAGA assortments after that, and find its way to a Fan Club 4-pk army-builder.

How many for me?  Depends on availabilty of course, but I am hoping for at least 15-20 of them.

:P

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 06:59 PM »
I will buy one to add to my open collection.

I do think that the Clonetrooper is starting to be a bit overdone. We have the Sneak Preview Clone, Red Clone, Clone Pilot, and the Clone 3-packs. That is enough clones I think.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 09:20 PM »
To me, this is great...  I'm hoping to nab 100 at least, maybe more depending what bundles they're put into and whatnot.

THIS is what they s hould've done all along, and scrapped the pre-posed clones in the 3-pack.  3 Uber articulated would've been MUCH more welcome I believe.

I can't wait to start a grand army of the Republic, FINALLY.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 10:42 PM »
I do think that the Clonetrooper is starting to be a bit overdone. We have the Sneak Preview Clone, Red Clone, Clone Pilot, and the Clone 3-packs. That is enough clones I think.

Are you crazy David?  I can't believe you think that.  There could never be enough Clone Troopers and variations of them.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 02:11 AM »
I can't find where on GH it says anything about an ultra articulated clone though?  Hope they didn't retract something because they were mistaken...  :(

And I agree with the above...

I actually am MORE appreciative of the 3-packs now that they're going to make a good definitive clone.  Hopefully, it will just meet the expectations we all have.  It should be VERY poseable, and also be capable of maintaining a very neutral stance as well.

I want a clone that can look like he's running, walking, standing, firing 2-handed, firing one-handed, dying, dead, looking up, looking down, looking left, looking right...

If he had a removable helmet too, he'd be just freaking amazing though. :)

White clones can, and should always ALWAYS sell if they're of the uber poseable variety.

Imagine Stormtroopers in the same fashion?  **drool**

Imagine ALL army builders like rebel fleet troopers, hoth rebels, snowtroopers, sandtroopers, scout troopers, endor soldiers, etc., in the same fashion?  **MAJOR drool**

I'd be in figure heaven then.

I'd pick up a figure every time I was at the store if they were there, ya know?  And I'd likely run out of room quickly to store all of them...  But I'd have one hell of a lot of BIG dioramas with LOTS of variety that I made myself.  I'd even use them for gaming I think.  

Imagine an outdoor "strategy" game using the figures...  You could have one large game with your Star Wars buddies, that's for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 03:21 AM »
I can't find where on GH it says anything about an ultra articulated clone though?  Hope they didn't retract something because they were mistaken...  :(

Nope, it's still there Jesse!  Here's the direct qoute from GH's main man Mike:

Hasbro will be releasing a super-articulated Clone Trooper, plain white with fourteen (thats 14) points of articulation, in the upcoming Clone Wars assortment featuring the Kit Fisto and Saesee Tin figures that are currently being previewed at Wizard World Chicago.

I just hope he makes it onto a Saga card or some army builder 4-packs as well later on, since I fear his inclusion near the end of the CW line might mean he won't have too great of supply in a dying line - not to mention he's a serious army builder in HIGH demand...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 10:15 AM »
Seriously.

Hey JJ, I had been tossing around the idea of a strategy game for when I have kids that's kind of similar to what you're talking about. I had thought of it as using a grid (wood parquet floor?) as spaces, and keeping it simple at first and then making it more complicated as they get older to help them think strategically. Hopefully my kids will like Star Wars...wait, of course they will.

Basically, you'd have "Teams", i.e Empire, Alliance, Republic, Separatists. Obviously it would be inaccurate to have the Alliance vs. The Republic, but if you really want to, what the hell. Within these groups you can have factions that have different skills.

For instance, the Alliance can have an Ewok squad that can set traps on any squares in the grid. The enemy can't see them, but you have to write the square's location down on a piece of paper when you set it, and obviously you can't change it unless you want to dismantle the original trap, but it still counts as a move.

You can also have Dresselians who can sabotage enemy machinery or snipe.

Gungans can form a deflector shield around your infantry and take out mechanized infantry with their boomer balls.

The Empire can call down TIE bombers to make precision strikes behind enemy lines.

Bounty Hunters/Assasins can be hired to take out leaders, which makes the troops less effective (still working on penalties for loss of leaders, but I know that an Empire team with General Veers should be better than an Empire team with a generic General)

Squads of Jedi can be used, but I'm trying to figure out a way to not make them invincible.

The Empire can send probe droids to investigate specific areas of the map.

These are just a few examples of what I've been planning. I'd keep it simple at first, for instance an AT-AT can fire once per round, and it can take out everything in a square. It would have a maximum and minimum range though, and I guess it would need to be severely handicapped to be fair. I'm also not sure how I would handle Hailfires and Gunships.

An outdoor game like you were saying would be cool. You'd need a bunch of line and a bunch of stakes if you wanted to make a grid for that though! Plus, your weapons might end up as lawnmower bait! Maybe asphalt and a chalkline? ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 10:16 AM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the Link Matt...  If it were a snake it woulda bit me!  I searched and I think I even looked at that but apparantly not close enough.

Lando, that's cool!  If you're interested, Star Wars Miniature's Battles can STILL be adapted to the 3.75" figures somewhat.  

It's a fairly simple game really, but not for little kids.  Definitely for older kids and adults due to the intricacy of the games generally and such.  Finding minis is the real pain though. :(

Though WOTC is maybe going to crank out a new minis game for Star Wars, so here's to hoping on that, and that it's as good as the original from WEG.

I've found a game with the 3.75" can be easily adapted though, especially with the round bases out that are pretty specifically sized.  I haven't adapted vehicles personally, because of size, but wanted to one day when a few of my scale vehicle projects were completed.  Played outdoors on a nice day (And with a lot of work) and you could have combat even in a cityscape or whatnot.  

For small squad based matches though, it is really simple though.  Even scaling up some of the explosion templates is pretty simple, and they just print right out then. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 03:00 AM »
Bumpin' this one up...

The new CloneTrooper is pictured in the latest Insider's pull-out/pack-in Clone Wars poster for those interested!

StarWars.com has a nice image of it too, from the poster, but it's not a very large image for deciphering where the articulation points are.

I'm guessing heavy use of ball/socket joints though, which is great, and he looks to have a natural/neutral pose...  no more bow legged clones!  Yay!

If every army builder got this kinda treatment (from what I can tell anyway) I'd be a much happier Hasbro Consumer, and I'd be welcoming MORE pre-posed 3-packs with open arms.

Here's to hoping Hasbro gets off their collective rears and takes this kind of articulation to other army builders like Stormtroopers, Scout Troopers, Snowtroopers, Hoth Rebel Soldiers, Rebel Fleet Troopers, etc., etc., etc....

I for one would be in debt, but happily. :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 03:04 AM »
If every army builder got this kinda treatment (from what I can tell anyway) I'd be a much happier Hasbro Consumer, and I'd be welcoming MORE pre-posed 3-packs with open arms.

As C-3P0 once said, "Thank the maker!"  It's about time they [Hasbro] thought of us army builders!   ;D
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2003, 04:40 AM »
This is good news and let's hope it doesn't get buried like many other tail end items.  Although this will be probably repacked and repainted ad infinitum, so not to worry.   ;D

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2003, 09:27 AM »
So when should I start looking for this bad boy to show up in stores?  I need about 10 (lets hope Walmart is still pricing these at $3.80 each ;D).
Beth