Author Topic: Disney Buys LFL  (Read 78607 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys LFL
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2013, 01:42 AM »
Now they are axing Lucasfilm licensing people.

Disney makes more a year than most countries's gross domestic product, but they are pink slip crazy.

I think the toyline is gonna be affected eventually, I mean even worse so.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2013, 09:29 AM »
They are firing people who actually do their jobs well, yet Hasbro continues to bask in impunity. They are the worst managed thing associated with Star Wars right now and yet operate without any fear of reprisal or accountability whatsoever.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Hasbro is not a division of Disney.  They are likely eliminating redundancy, something that would happen in any merger of this type.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Of course, but that doesn't mean Hasbro's offerings won't be affected by Disney's actions, if they haven't been already...which they probably have, since the other 3D releases got canned.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I agree with Jim, but I can say that Hasbro has been impacted by Disney so far...  Nothing that really wasn't expected, but there's been some major focus changes.  So I think you're both right ultimately.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:30 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2013, 09:41 AM »
They are firing people who actually do their jobs well,...

I don't know about that. LucasArts hasn't self published a good game since the early '90s. They have acted mostly as distributer. Lucas licensing has given everyone and their dog a license to make Star Wars stuff. There is too much product saturation out there.  Lucasfilm Animation was laughed at for the Clone Wars because of their wooden looking characters. Just look at Obiwan's hair! Lucasfilm Animation also made Rango and it was not well received. They just aren't in the same league as Pixar or even Disney Animation.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I don't know about that. LucasArts hasn't self published a good game since the early '90s. They have acted mostly as distributer. Lucas licensing has given everyone and their dog a license to make Star Wars stuff. There is too much product saturation out there.  Lucasfilm Animation was laughed at for the Clone Wars because of their wooden looking characters. Just look at Obiwan's hair! Lucasfilm Animation also made Rango and it was not well received. They just aren't in the same league as Pixar or even Disney Animation.

For me the best example is to look at the How to Tame Your Dragon franchise - the movie was great - granted the adult vikings were a bit distorted for effect, the level of detail in the 3D animation was great. They have successfully translated that level of detail to the TV series that's also on Cartoon Network. I was shocked to find that watching an episode of the show was just like watching an extension of the movie, combined with the fact that the voices were being done by many of the same people, made it all the more appealing.

So if Dreamworks could do it, I don't see any reason why the Clone Wars couldn't have been better looking. Heck, if they had done something in the same league as Pixar (i.e. Brave) then we may have never needed to have a separate "animated" style figure line at all...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2013, 01:12 PM »
So if Dreamworks could do it, I don't see any reason why the Clone Wars couldn't have been better looking.
Lucasfilm Animation was laughed at for the Clone Wars because of their wooden looking characters. Just look at Obiwan's hair!

I thought the ugly appearance of the show was supposedly on purpose because Lucas wanted it to look like the puppets from Thunderbirds.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2015, 12:23 PM »
Here's more on the timeline of future Star Wars releases from Disney CEO Bob Iger.  He also mentions a little bit about one of the standalone Star Wars projects:

As one of the few people allowed to visit the set during filming….and one of the fewer who’s seen most of the footage…I can assure the millions of Star Wars fans who have spent the last decade hoping for a new movie this one will be worth the wait. And it’s only the beginning of a new era of exceptional Star Wars storytelling; next year we’ll release our first standalone movie based on these characters, followed by Star Wars: Episode VIII in 2017, and we’ll finish this trilogy with Episode IX in 2019.

Some bullet points, courtesy of Slashfilm:

1.Iger has seen most of the footage from The Force Awakens.
2.He believes it’s “worth the wait.”
3.He mentions the 2016 standalone movie.
4.He hints the 2016 standalone movie is about “these characters,” potentially meaning characters from the new movies.
5.Star Wars Episode VIII will be out in 2017.
6.There is no mention of a second standalone movie, directed by Josh Trank, hypothetically in 2018.
7.Star Wars Episode IX will be out in 2019.
8.He refers to that film as the end of “this trilogy.” That makes it sound like there will be more.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Oh, wow - the guy who has a huge financial interest in these movies succeeding assures us that it's "worth the wait"?  Whew!  I'm sure he'd totally tell us the truth if he thought they were terrible...   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2015, 01:40 PM »
I would expect that after spending $4 billion to buy the franchise Bob Iger will be cheerleading all the way.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I'm sort of glad that the main movies will only be two years apart.

I think they could possibly missing a lot of opportunities with the stand alone movies.  How about a movie on how the rebels stole the Death Star plans, or something from back in the Old Republic?  There's a lot of potential there.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Oh, wow - the guy who has a huge financial interest in these movies succeeding assures us that it's "worth the wait"?  Whew!  I'm sure he'd totally tell us the truth if he thought they were terrible...   :P

+1  Would be hilarious to have him come out with "Well, the new Star Wars movies are just so-so."
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2015, 10:48 AM »

That in and of itself doesn't mean he's not right!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 2, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Remember anything that Iger says is prewritten by the marketing department. Disney's marketing department can be pretty crappy at times. Look how they handled John Carter. Their marketing on Frozen was terrible and it totally caught them off guard that people responded to the movie despite awful  ads were we were convinced that Olfe was the next Jar Jar.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours