Author Topic: Disney Buys LFL  (Read 79026 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Re: Disney Buys LFL; Announces Episode 7
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2012, 11:44 AM »
I think I'm in the same camp with Jesse, I'm not really excited about all of this and right now I'm leaning towards not really liking it.

I agree that we'll probably get all three of the OT movies in 3D in 2014, it would be the perfect lead for a new film in 2015 just like the SE version in 1997 were for the 1999 release of TPM. 

I think that when it comes to sequels, I'd like to see Hamill come back as Luke in the Obi-Wan role, mentor, wise sage that helps set things in motion.  But I don't really need Fisher or Ford unless they wanted to skip far enough ahead that the films could be about the Solo kids and Ben...which I'd be more than happy to watch.

I think the EU, as we know it, is gone.  I could see them keeping some of the characters but use them in new roles in the films.  I think the 6 Saga Films and probably the Clone Wars will be kept as continuity, since George had his hands directly on them, but the books, comics, etc?  Gone. 

I know a lot of people are attached to the EU, but I don't necessarily have a problem with it being wiped out.  In general, the audience for new movies will be far greater than the audience for all the EU stuff.  Losing the Thrawn trilogy would kind of suck, and I enjoyed Legacy, but I stopped reading the novels a long time ago because I didn't care for a lot of it....except the Republic Commando series, and that's already been wiped out.

Haven't been around the net much since the announcement, just looked up the factual press release stuff, but my Twitter account blew up like it never has before and I can just imagine what's going down on some of the otheR Sites right now...plus all the non-collecting fan blogs.  I'm sure it's an equal mix of hope and "that mouse's dick is small but my ass still hurts."

I mentioned this over on the PSWCS list, but some of my concern is more selfish; I'm wondering if this new ownership will have any impact on fansites, fan clubs and groups like the 501st?  I'm wondering if we'll be able to continue our medallions for charity or if I can do another giveaway at the next Celebration without being arrested.  Should I expect a C&D?  I don't know.

E...

Don't let him fool you guys..he's excited as can be and can't wait to get a Princess Leia outfit for that stuffed Minnie Mouse he sleeps with every night.

Bob
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 11:52 AM »
One additional note on the timeline of the 3D films...It makes me wonder if when they announced AOTC and ROTS being released back to back, and ramped up the schedule a bit if they didn't know this was coming and very close to sealing the deal at that time.  Now makes sense they would want to release ROTJ 3D right before they release EP7 in 2015.  Looking back they probably knew this to be true, and I'm sure it took forever for all the paperwork and red tape to be cleared...it all makes perfect sense now. (Could you imagine the 3 ring binders and team of lawyers at THAT meeting?)

Also makes sense whey we haven't heard many major announcements as to future projects over the last few years.  Info on the TV show has been a black hole for a while now.  Usually anything SW leaks out way ahead of schedule...they did a pretty good job of keeping this one close to the chest.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:53 AM by bobafett14 »
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55 AM »
This is weird to me, because I thought I'd read more than once that Lucas always had ideas for 7,8,9 - that he'd had them all the way back when he was writing the OT.

Yeah, depending on the era, it was anywhere from 6-12 movies.  In hte early years, it was 9-12, but it was after Jedi and during the prequel era that he started denying 7-9 plans ever existed and giving all these inteviews about how he always intended for 6 movies focused on Anakin's story.  Now suddenly, I guess we're supposed to believe that he found his old notebooks and has been taking those old story elements and ideas and crafting them into real story treatments.

StarWars.com has a nice recap - The Long, Winding, and Shapeshifting Trail to Episodes VII, VIII & IX

In 1978, a Time magazine article reported that the Star Wars Corporation (a subsidiary Lucas had formed for Star Wars) would be producing “Star Wars II [Empire], and then, count them, 10 other planned sequels.” At that time Lucas consistently mentioned 12 films and even created a barebones outline to that effect.In it, the original trilogy occupied Episodes VI, VII, and VIII; a Clone Wars trilogy took up Episodes II, III, and IV, while Episode I was a “prelude,” Episodes IX through XI were simply left blank – and Episode XII was the “conclusion.”

In 1979, however, Lucas said in an interview on the set of Empire, “The first script was one of six original stories I had written in the form of two trilogies. After the success of Star Wars, I added another trilogy. So now there are nine stories. The original two trilogies were conceived of as six films of which the first film was number four.”

While in postproduction in early 1980, Lucas used to kick back from time to time with ILM manager Jim Bloom and muse about the bigger story. “The first trilogy is about the young Ben Kenobi and the early life of Luke’s father when Luke is a little boy,” Lucas said. “This trilogy takes place some 20 years before the second trilogy, which includes Star Wars and Empire. About a year or two passes between each story of the trilogy and about 20 years between the trilogies. The entire saga spans about 55 years. I’m still left with three trilogies of nine films. At two hours each, that’s about eighteen hours of film!”

While Empire was originally part of a 12-film plan, by the time it was released, the number had clearly been reduced to nine. “The prequel stories exist – where Darth Vader came from, the whole story about Darth and Ben Kenobi – and it all takes place before Luke was born,” Lucas explained at the time. “The other one – what happens to Luke afterward – is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I’m really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke.”

Lucas mentioned these notebooks – or one big book – to me, a few years ago. I asked if I could see it, but he declined. My feeling is that this big book or these notebooks are private, though Lucas has occasionally sent me via an assistant miscellaneous handwritten notes from the period 1976-1983 to help in the writing of the making-of books.

But two years later while filming Jedi, for many reasons, Lucas was burning out, tired of the whole enterprise: “I’m only doing this because I started it and now I have to finish it,” he adds. “The next trilogy will be all someone else’s vision.”

As of today, Lucas has given his new co-chairman Kathleen Kennedy several ideas and is really going into semi-retirement. Now, in a relatively short time, compared to the decades of speculation, fans will learn the secrets of Episodes VII, VIII & IX. Star Wars has risen again!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:04 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I started listening to the SWAN podcast discussing all this, and one of their contributors sat in on the conference call with Disney announcing all of this yesterday.  Apparently, this has been "in the works" (meaning Disney buying Lucasfilm) for over a year now, so they really have done a nice job keeping things secret.

I have to say, not that I wasn't still reading/collecting/coming to the forums, but this news has reinvigorated my SW fandom.  I was still loving the collecting - and the movies - but just having new movies to look forward to is really cool.  It might be great, or it might be horrible, but at least it will be fun to talk about.  Like Jeff/Scott/others have mentioned, having kids makes it all the more exciting.  We have a daughter, but she's always been way into SW as well, and it will be fun to go through these years of anticipation and experience the new movies together.  I'm in the same boat as many here where I vastly prefer the OT, but I still remember what a fun time it was in the waits between the prequel movies - analyzing each little spy pic, leaked detail, etc. in the forums and trying to figure out what was coming next.

This will be so much different as we actually knew the end game for the PT, now it could be anything.  I'm fine with them creating something new and not going off of previously written EU stuff.  The Zahn trilogy aside, I could take or leave most of it, and haven't actually read a whole lot of it either.  I respect those that really have an attachment to it, and understand why it might upset some if it gets "overwritten" like the CW has done - but really, the EU is so huge at this point, it really is impossible to not step on toes there.

I noticed on Mark Hamill's twitter that he posted a congratulations to George for the deal, and said he can't comment on Episode 7 until he gets all the facts.  I wonder if they've had at least initial "hey, would you be interested?" discussions with him, or perhaps he is just playing it safe just in case.  Either way, and exciting time for Star Wars, and I think that we needed it in some ways.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Is this going to mean Star Wars movies without the 20th Century Fox intro?

As a kid, I associated that intro with Star Wars more than Fox.

(Thanks for the link Jeff, interesting stuff)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:36 PM by Rob »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Same ^
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2012, 01:02 PM »
I think there was a story out there that at one point that the Luke/Emperor confrontation wasn't supposed to happen in ROTJ, but sometime in the sequel trilogy.

As for Ford, Hamill, and Fisher:  I had always hoped that when the first rumbling of a "new" Star Wars trilogy started in the 90's, that they would do the sequel trilogy so they could use the original actors.  I felt the could do the prequels at any point since the nature of those movies would require new actors anyways.  After the PT was completed and Lucas denied ever wanting to make nine (or twelve) movies and Ford saying he would never play Han Solo again, I really wondered if we would see a sequel trilogy while Lucas was still living.  My thoughts are going to be controversial to many fans.  First, the simple truth is that the EU post ROTJ will have to be nuked.  While the Thrawn trilogy is a great set of books, I'm not sure how it would translate to the big screen.  If Lucas were ever to make VII thru IX, he never would have gone with an existing story.  I want something knew so I can go in not knowing the ending.  Additionally, one of your main villains in the Thrawn books is a crazy clone of a Jedi who doesn't even use a lightsaber.  You need the good versus evil lightsaber battles in a SW movie, and there isn't much of that in Thrawn.  I really think you need a Sith as a villain in a new trilogy.  It may trample on Anakin's redemption and sacrifice, but that has already been done in the EU.  As for the actors, I personally don't want to see anyone but Ford playing Han Solo.  Ford doesn't want to do it, and if Lucas was running the show, I bet Lucas could have gotten Ford to make a cameo.  I don't know if Fisher would really be up for three more movies or if we would want her to.  I think Hamill is the best bet for a tie to the OT and as many have mentioned, I think he could work in an OT Kenobi-like role.  I think the best way to move forward would be to kill off Han and Leia.  I know it sounds crazy, but you may actually be able to get Ford and Fisher to make cameos in the beginning of Episode VII and their deaths could be the driving force for the story line of the sequel trilogy.  It would give Luke a character building arc as well.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2012, 01:16 PM »
What if Lucas has set up the next Trilogy by bring back Darth Maul in CW?  :P

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Is this going to mean Star Wars movies without the 20th Century Fox intro?

As a kid, I associated that intro with Star Wars more than Fox.

(Thanks for the link Jeff, interesting stuff)

Yes, absolutely me too. I still think of the Fox theme as the prelude to the SW theme, and I've always associated the spotlights with lightsabers. If they don't have that at the top, it will be REALLY weird. But I guess that's not going to happen, will it?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I started listening to the SWAN podcast discussing all this, and one of their contributors sat in on the conference call with Disney announcing all of this yesterday.  Apparently, this has been "in the works" (meaning Disney buying Lucasfilm) for over a year now, so they really have done a nice job keeping things secret.

I have to say, not that I wasn't still reading/collecting/coming to the forums, but this news has reinvigorated my SW fandom.  I was still loving the collecting - and the movies - but just having new movies to look forward to is really cool.  It might be great, or it might be horrible, but at least it will be fun to talk about.  Like Jeff/Scott/others have mentioned, having kids makes it all the more exciting.  We have a daughter, but she's always been way into SW as well, and it will be fun to go through these years of anticipation and experience the new movies together.  I'm in the same boat as many here where I vastly prefer the OT, but I still remember what a fun time it was in the waits between the prequel movies - analyzing each little spy pic, leaked detail, etc. in the forums and trying to figure out what was coming next.

This will be so much different as we actually knew the end game for the PT, now it could be anything.  I'm fine with them creating something new and not going off of previously written EU stuff.  The Zahn trilogy aside, I could take or leave most of it, and haven't actually read a whole lot of it either.  I respect those that really have an attachment to it, and understand why it might upset some if it gets "overwritten" like the CW has done - but really, the EU is so huge at this point, it really is impossible to not step on toes there.

I noticed on Mark Hamill's twitter that he posted a congratulations to George for the deal, and said he can't comment on Episode 7 until he gets all the facts.  I wonder if they've had at least initial "hey, would you be interested?" discussions with him, or perhaps he is just playing it safe just in case.  Either way, and exciting time for Star Wars, and I think that we needed it in some ways.

You mentioned about having kids.  when I came home I had fun with it all... I told the kids (3 1/2 and 5) that I had an announcement for after dinner.  So I told them there was going to be a new SW movie, and had fun with it, got them all excited.  They both jumped around, cheered, and yelled "That's awesome!"  So, now they are all excited. So when we're going to bed te 5 year old says to me...can we go see it the fist day it comes out?  I think I had a tear in my eye.

A true fan.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Yes, absolutely me too. I still think of the Fox theme as the prelude to the SW theme, and I've always associated the spotlights with lightsabers. If they don't have that at the top, it will be REALLY weird. But I guess that's not going to happen, will it?

I guess it depends... I think Fox's involvement has mostly been in distribution.  Disney could still use them for that I guess... I have no idea if they would need or want to though.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02 PM »
I just hope they stay away from Spielberg and any of Lucas' buddies.  I've not been impressed with Spielberg's recent work and would love to see them go with someone capable of challenging GL's opinions.

I agree with a previous post that Lucas' "yes men" have not been helpful.  Saw "Red Tails" the other day and thought it was on the bad side of below average.

EW.com had a great potential list:
  • Christopher Nolan
  • Peter Jackson
  • JJ Abrams
  • Joss Whedon
  • Guillermo del Toro

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2012, 02:11 PM »
I'm going to just be excited about this, since I'm expecting more than what we got in the Prequels.

But if they bring the ******* Yuzhan Vong into this, I will choke Lucas.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Abrams has, in the past, expressed EXTREME interest in doing a SW film if the opportunity were there.

Everyone bringing up kids...  I mentioned it to Diane's and they are older, but it'll be something we can experience together regardless.  It's an interesting thing I didn't have going on in 1999 or 2002.  We did check out ROTS together and now it'll be like having more friends than kids with me, which is a whole different dynamic in a way.  Just weird.

And when I mention the ST reboot, I mention it in part in fear of a reboot of the original films, but also because like Scott mentioned, the ST reboot was a fresh look at a classic series.  I'm a fan, and I liked it, so I'd like a similarly fresh look at Star Wars.  Someone able to see the greatness of Star Wars and ADD to it, not detract from it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19 PM »
In addition to Jeff's link... from 2004, but suddenly relevant:

Mark Hamill talks Star Wars 7, 8 and 9!

Star Wars 7, 8 and 9: During 20th Century Fox's recent unveiling of the , Mark Hamill stopped in to talk about the set with the press. During his rant he briefly talked to the crowd about George Lucas and his original plan to create 4 trilogies of Star Wars films. Here's a clip...

“He talked about doing a VII, VIII, IX,” Hamill began. “You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ [Imitating Lucas grumble,] ‘It’s the most commercial section of the movie.’ He said the first trilogy’s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ This is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, ‘No, I’ll never be 47.’ So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’ And I’m thinking, ‘I love the guy. If he wanted me to do light yard work at his house, I’d be out clipping the hedges.’ So I went, ‘Sure.’ But I thought he just realized that he’s going to be doing it the rest of his life and he’d rather not do that.”

When the prospect of a TV series was brought up, Hamill went into outright denial. “See, the thing is, on one hand, the way I look at it is there was a beginning, a middle and an end and it’s over. Even though it’s never over. But for me it’s over. But what’ll happen is these fans will come over, ‘But you just became a Jedi. Now what happens? It’s like doing the story of how 007 got his license to kill and then not telling any stories.’ So I said, ‘I wish my agent had this much passion.’ They really want me to do these stories. I loved it all, I really did, but I never in my mind ever thought it would be something I’d be talking about this long.”
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:21 PM by Rob »