Author Topic: Disney Buys LFL  (Read 78639 times)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Buys LFL
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, it's going to be be the Sequel Trilogy first.  Then after that who knows? I could see them doing single character films after that.  Of course Boba Fett comes to mind.

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56 PM »
So.... I was thinking, and if Disney purchased all of Lucasfilm, does that mean they own the rights to all of the footage and deleted scenes? I am already assuming sometime before Ep 7 comes out that a new 3D release box set may include the original films unaltered and in a bluray format. But with Disney's style of releasing anything to home video (raise your hand if you own a copy of Aladdin part 3). Is it safe to assume that other titles may be re-released or released for the first time such as the Ewoks movies, Droids cartoons, and the Star Wars Holiday special (which other than some of the singing has more entertainment value than it us given credit for)? I can also see collectors springing for ultimate editions of the original movies with the special editions, original editions, and ALL of the deleted scenes and footage in the vault that pertains to that film. I hate to buy these for a ridiculous fifth or sixth time, but....

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45 AM »
I believe at some point in the next few years we'll get pre-97 cuts of the films.  I know there is murkiness with the rights to Star Wars, but I am sure that Fox would be happy to share in some revenue on a 35 year old film.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46 AM »
Fox is nothing but a distributer. They own nothing related to Star Wars. Fox got a small percentage to place the movie in theaters nothing more. It's like saying Walmart owns the rights to everthing it sells.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Fox does own the distribution rights for the first film, so it could throw some drama into the reality of this happening. They don't own anything else about the films except that, but it is sort of a big deal.  This is more like WalMart buying the EXCLUSIVE distribution rights to a product, and then the manufacturer trying to sell it at another distributor.  The manufacturer would have to wait for those rights to expire (which they won't here; Fox owns them in perpetuity) or the manufacturer and the distributors would have to hammer out an agreement.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Quick, someone explain to Disney the importance of Tonnika Sisters action figures.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Disney Buys LFL; Announces Episode 7
« Reply #156 on: December 3, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Gone (hopefully) are all of the ******* blatant yes men like Burtt and McCallum. 

McCallum is definitely out.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: December 3, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I'll never forget his hype surrounding every Prequal film.  There's no way he honestly believed a lot of what he was saying.

"It's a producer's job to make possible a director's vision, whatever that may be,"

IE: He wanted it!  What was I gonna do!?  I was just following orders! :P
« Last Edit: December 3, 2012, 02:55 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: March 7, 2013, 02:38 PM »
How Disney Bought LFL

Really interesting story there.  Fills in a lot of details about just when Lucas decided to get the band back together for Episode 7, when Disney came on board, etc.  Definitely a good read.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2013, 02:39 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34 PM »
How Disney Bought LFL

Really interesting story there.  Fills in a lot of details about just when Lucas decided to get the band back together for Episode 7, when Disney came on board, etc.  Definitely a good read.

I'm not an investment banker, but it looks like Disney got a steal compared to what they paid for Pixar and Marvel.  They paid $7 billion and $4 billion for Pixar and Marvel, respectively, while paying $4 billion for Lucasfilm. 

Page 3 of the article shows the cash flows at the three companies at the time of purchase and Lucasfilm generates significantly more operating income than Marvel.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Iger is busy readying the machinery that will crank out Star Wars-related toys and theme park attractions and whatever Disney deems as appropriate franchise exploitation. He says he’s looking to expand sales of Star Wars merchandise overseas and that ABC and Lucasfilm are discussing a live-action TV series. At the same time, Iger says he doesn’t want to do anything that might detract from the upcoming movies. “I don’t want to overcommercialize or overhype this,” he says. “It’s my job to prevent that.”

Star Wars become overcommercialized or overhyped?! Perish the thought! Disney knows what they are doing, it's not like they put Mickey Mouse on everything... ;)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2013, 09:37 AM »
That's why they have the vault.  You won't see it again for the next few years.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 9, 2013, 07:06 AM »
So has anyone compiled a list of stuff that Disney has axed since the Great Takeover?

Off the top of my head I've got:

- Clone Wars cartoon/Lucasfilm Animation
- 3D movie rereleases
- Lucasarts/Video Game division
- Star Wars Comics (rumored to be switching from Dark Horse to Marvel)
- Hasbro toy line :P

Anything I'm missing here?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 9, 2013, 09:48 AM »
It's interesting that Disney did so many cutbacks when they bought LFL. When they bought Pixar and Marvel they left everything alone and told them to continue without interference. They then buy LFL and its cuts everywhere. I guess you don't mess with an engine that is firing on all cylinders. LFL sure wasn't. It's like Lucas was actively trying to destroy his IP.

Kill Lucasfilm animation - no need to have that when you have Pixar. Besides LFL is using similar software and Detours makes the IP into a joke. You don't see Disney doing that with Mickey. That's a poor way to grow a brand.

3D movie re-releases - there is no point to re-releasing these movies in such poor state. 3D was poorly done for ep1 and it was a marketing failure that we still have to live with to this day. These movies should be presented to a new generation without gimmicks and less 3rd party marketing campaigns.

Lucasarts - This division has not released a self published title in years. Most of what has come out recently has been bad. Making an adult star wars game alienates its core audience of kids that Disney wants to keep.

Star Wars comics - cheaper to do them in house then deal with a third party.

Hasbro toy line - poor distribution, bankrupt ideas, poor quality, out of control prices. It's good to put this in to carbon freeze for a while. When the toys return, they will fly off the shelf again.

Good luck George on those smaller independent movies you've always wanted to make. I hope they do better than Red Tails. Remember, a special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 9, 2013, 10:38 AM »
I think that anything that is not family friendly will be shuttered.  The "adult" games?  Cancelled.  TCW, while marketed to children, was not at all in the same family friendly "place" that the OT and even TPM is.  The violence in this show was over the line, even when compared to RotS. 

Whether the vocal internet adult fans like it or not, SW is a family brand, and Disney will now bring it back to where it was and the changes that have slowly crept in since RotS and Lucas lost interest in the brand will be turned around.  You won't see Family guy parodying any more, and that is also why Detours was shut down.