Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

Force Lightning

<< < (2/4) > >>

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Nicklab on November 13, 2012, 11:12 PM ---As for Luke and the Force Lightning at the end of ROTJ?  I think he didn't see it coming.  He seemed to think that he had defeated Vader, and by refusing the Emporer he thought that he had defeated him and redeemed his father.
--- End quote ---

So what do you think Luke's plan was when he tosses the lightsaber away?  He's not going to fight his father, Vader has not yet been redeemed and Palpatine obviously has control of the situation.  If he doesn't see the lightning attack coming, where did he think the confrontation was going to go?  I'm not sure that he knew about the lightning or how to stop it, but he had to think Palps was going to attack with something more than words.

I also don't think you can go by the limited amount of training we get to see in the film.  Luke trained with Yoda for at least a few weeks if not longer and we only see maybe 10-20 minutes of that tops.  They easily could have covered force lightning and defenses off screen.  As further proof, we see Luke use mind control in Jabba's palace, but we never see Yoda or Ben train Luke how to do that.  We know Luke built a new lightsaber too, which he must have learned from Ben or Yoda, but we don't see the training behind that on screen.  You have to think Luke was learning more than hiking and balancing rocks on his path to becomming a jedi.

Jesse James:
I agree, a lot, with the time-lapse stuff...  I think Luke's there maybe quite a long time, 3 weeks maybe being on the shorter end of what I think Luke's time might've been.  Likewise I think Han/Leia have a long big of space time too, traveling without a hyperdrive.

The movies, IMO, have always been absolutely horrible about showing time elapsed.  A lot of it has to do with the fact they all rarely change clothes, haha.  Like I view the trip from Tatooine to Alderaan taking a lot longer than the movie shows...  At the very least, hours, if not longer.  And the time between the Falcon's arrival and the Death Star's, to Yavin IV, and so on.

I always leave some personal intepretation there, for myself.  I figure there's more going on at the battles than we see, more going on between the location cuts in all 3 films, and so on.

McMetal:
A more compelling question would be why do none of the Jedi use the force lightning? Where is it written that this can only be wielded by the Sith? Did I miss that chapter of the Jedi handbook?

It always bugs me that the Sith pull these crazy Force moves out of their arse, but the good guys' attacks are always completely predictable.

I really, really want to see some Jedi start using some of the Starkiller moves, particularly the throwing lightsaber attack and the Force-bubble-explosion thing. Maybe in the next movie.

Qui-Gon Jim:

--- Quote from: JediJman on November 14, 2012, 12:40 AM ---So what do you think Luke's plan was when he tosses the lightsaber away?  He's not going to fight his father, Vader has not yet been redeemed and Palpatine obviously has control of the situation.  If he doesn't see the lightning attack coming, where did he think the confrontation was going to go?  I'm not sure that he knew about the lightning or how to stop it, but he had to think Palps was going to attack with something more than words.
--- End quote ---

He was planning on being killed along with Palpatine when the rebels blew up the Death Star.

One of the biggest gripes I have with AotC and RotS is Sith Lightning.  How awesome would it be if this was a little trick that Palpy kept to himself until he was utterly backed against the wall?  It cheapens it in RotJ, IMO.

JediJman:

I thought he was aware of the trap before he threw down his saber.  So knowing the shield was operational, he still just gave up?  Doesn't seem like a Luke thing to do.  He may not have known about the lightning, but I think he was counting on being put in mortal peril to force Vader to make a choice.

As for the lightning, its an aggressive act.  Jedi are supposed to use their powers for defense, and I don't know if lightning would really fit that mantra.  It seems that it would source from aggression as we have seen in the movies, so to me it makes sense that the jedi would have to cross the line to use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version