Author Topic: $5 Vintage Collection @ Five Below  (Read 38491 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: $5 Vintage Collection @ Five Below
« Reply #105 on: August 6, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I checked again last night and we're still stuck with the same old Weequays, Woofs, and DTF swag.

I'm glad others are having better luck, truly, but I hate it when the love is not spread fairly around the country.  >:(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 6, 2013, 10:36 AM »
I have a feeling more is coming soon.  Resets at 5 Below SHOULD be happening before too long actually.

Yeah - hopefully this stuff gets spread out better.  But what I'm really hoping for is the Starkiller/Shae Vizsla wave.   If that wave hits Five Below across the country in good numbers... holy crap!   :)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 6, 2013, 10:53 AM »
The one ROTJ wave never hit here, folks were getting Wickets and Gammoreans.

My Jabba is guarded by Gungans. GUNGANS! Actually, Gungans are more competent and agile than Gammoreans.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 6, 2013, 02:40 PM »
That raises a good point... how is it that Gungan Warriors seem to have been producted 10x heavier than Gamorrean Guards?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 6, 2013, 02:53 PM »
That raises a good point... how is it that Gungan Warriors seem to have been producted 10x heavier than Gamorrean Guards?

Maybe they were produced in equal amounts, and Gamorreans are just 10x more popular?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: August 6, 2013, 03:21 PM »
With my recent move, the closest five below is now 280+ miles away.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 6, 2013, 03:42 PM »

Who knows how much Wal-Mart ordered of Discover the Force...a lot, it seems. And then there's the vintage carded release.

Since Hasbro hates money, they won't be reissuing Gammorean Guard, Imperial Royal Guard, Echo Base Trooper or anything from The Old Republic.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: August 6, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Jeff, they're in a bit of an expanding period, so cross your fingers.

The Gungans came out during what amounted to a "movie year".  The Gammies hit during a holiday pegwarming glut if I recall and then what was left got dumped at 5 below...  The math adds up basically.

I'd agree with Greg too though, Gammies I think were more popular...  TPM3D was ultimately a retail failure.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gammies were quite numerically abundant.

My stores are littered with DTF only...  Nobody from that wave sells, but I'd wager my local store went through 10 cases before things stagnated?  For a while you couldn't get ANY of teh army builders and only QGJ and OWK were in any quantity.  Even Maul sold.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 6, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I wish I would have gotten some Droidekas to make the shield, but I guess I can live without them.  I wasn't overly impressed with Hasbro's results and I saw Jayson's custom, which was much better.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 6, 2013, 11:14 PM »
A reader at Yakface wrote in and told us that he is an assistant manager at Five Below, and that the stores do not have the power to order these on their own.  These cases are distributed throughout the company by how much sells at that particular store.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #115 on: August 7, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Steve, if you want 2 Droidekas let me know, I can probably get them for you.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 7, 2013, 10:21 AM »

My stores are littered with DTF only...  Nobody from that wave sells, but I'd wager my local store went through 10 cases before things stagnated?  For a while you couldn't get ANY of teh army builders and only QGJ and OWK were in any quantity.  Even Maul sold.

I'll probably keep buying $5 Sand Peeps as long as they are there...not everyone I see, but, yeah. Gungan's I'm iffy about because they are all scouts...if they were warriors with the shields and those energy ball thingies. Naboo pilots aren't much fun, though. I could have them stand around and wait for fighters that never arrive. I suppose the trenchcoats are decent custom fodder (never made sense to fly a space fighter with a duster on...yeah, I know they were going for retro early 20th century look.)

The most popular figure here was the astromech. Of course Maul sells, he's kid fiendly...er...friendly.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 7, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I'd say the  most popular of these figures in my area are as follows:

- Destroyer Droid (always sells fast - great sculpt and the shield is a great bonus)
- Astromech Droid
- Tusken Raider
- Darth Maul
- Gungan Warrior

...after that, the others just stare at other all day.  Well, Aurra sort of sells - just slow.  Those pilots though sit there forever.  I know I don't want more of them.  Even if I had several Naboo Fighters.  Most pilots to me are just kinda boring - that goes for the OT as well.  For some reason the only pilots that I ever really like are Snowspeeder ones.  I love those actually.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 7, 2013, 11:49 AM »
I'd say the  most popular of these figures in my area are as follows:

- Destroyer Droid (always sells fast - great sculpt and the shield is a great bonus)
- Astromech Droid
- Tusken Raider
- Darth Maul
- Gungan Warrior

...after that, the others just stare at other all day.  Well, Aurra sort of sells - just slow.  Those pilots though sit there forever.  I know I don't want more of them.  Even if I had several Naboo Fighters.  Most pilots to me are just kinda boring - that goes for the OT as well.  For some reason the only pilots that I ever really like are Snowspeeder ones.  I love those actually.

The figures you listed as popular, except for the Gungan, are the same ones that sold thru fast in my area. Yoda also sold fast. The Gungan and Mawhonic were all gone when I was at Five Below a couple days ago, but they were slow sellers. The Jedi, Pilots, and Aurra are "peg warming" a la the TVC Skiff Guards and Padmes. I'm sure they'll eventually move during the holdiays.

I would have been all over army building the Naboo Pilots and Gungans at $5, but I got plenty from Amazon when the TVC repacks were $2-3 each. I did end up getting something like 6 or 8 Destroyers, as well as several Tuskens (It's hard to remember how many i picked up at Wal-Mart way back when, and what I hoarded from 5 Below) so I guess I am part of the reason why those were scarce.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 7, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Yeah - Yoda does move fairly quick in my area too.  I guess I forgot about our little green friend.