Author Topic: Questions and grime Recipies  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Questions and grime Recipies
« on: August 10, 2003, 01:14 PM »
I have a couple of questions about customs, and then some about recipies to grime out your droids...

For customs, specificly 3PO units, what way is best to space out his legs so he isnt so...uptight standing? Im trying to finish off my custom assasin droid, but Im having trouble with the legs... And whats the best way to build a droid...from kit bashing or startin with an origional?

Now onto the grime thing:

I use a recipie of black to girme out my droids by using one part black paint 2 parts watter, and then a cut down brush I specificly use for dry brushing...what is the best recipie for a rust colored grime?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Questions and grime Recipies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 01:10 AM »
Hey Famine,

Might I refer you first to www.ffurg.com which is THE first and foremost customizing resource website.  It's also my 2nd home basically.

They have some griming up articles that should help you out under drybrushing or painting techniques I'm sure.

The issue of scratch building droids is a fun one, because youc an simply take various pieces of plastic, and if you have a knack for it you can slap them together and make an interesting droid.

For instance, the yellow droid that came with the one E1 accessory pack makes a nice base for droid customs.  Also the "Battle Bots" figures which MisterPL says are being clearanced at TRU's now, are good possible custom droid fodder out there for low low prices.

Now, as for spacing out the legs of a protocol droid, that's tough...  The 3po figures have spaced out legs already for the most part, is that what you're using?

The plastic used on most 3PO figures (not all though) is rigid, so spacing the legs apart won't really work without breaking them, sad to say.

But protocol droids tend not to stand with their legs apart either.  Check out 4-LOM even, as his legs are pretty close together.  Probably a complication of the costume because Anthony Daniels and all the other bi-pedal droids seem to have their legs together tight as well, and the costumes probably don't lend themselves to be very flexible.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 12:29 PM »
Thanks Jesse. I have been to FFURG a few times, in the past. Ill have to check it out again.

What I mean with the protocol droid, is, a less...tight stance, I mean, when I spread my droids legs even a little bit, the stance looks much improved, indeed. Im using the threepeeo with removable armor, and his legs seem flexible enough.

I will have to try and check out those battle bots, and see what I can conjur. I bet they would make great scrap for a SandCrawler.

Thanks!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 10:18 PM »
I'd have to agree with JJ and say altering the pose of the 3PO droids legs will be next to impossible, due to the rigid plastic used, without doing some extensive work to the legs. You could try popping the legs out of the pelvis, then using some sculpey (or other modeling clay) work a new hip region for the droid to get a different stance. I'm not sure what else could help you out in this case, though I just came across an idea as I was about to hit the post button.

Perhaps you could pop the legs off and replace them with a more versatile leg like say a GI Joe figure's leg and then use the removable panels from the Ep2 C-3PO and glue em on the Joe legs and just repaint. Not sure how that would look, but it could be a start to something. Good luck!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot