Author Topic: 2013 Vintage Collection - Fan Favorite Re-Issues!  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Vintage Collection - Fan Favorite Re-Issues!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24 PM »
This looks to me like the Discounters of the world were not prepared to take on the crazy number of cases that wound up stuck in the distribution system.  So, Hasbro will be offering these assortments in greater numbers through brick & mortar retail.  I just couldn't see TJ Maxx, 5 Below, Big Lots and others taking on all of that stock that wound up sitting in warehouses.  It's too big of an inventory position for them, so Hasbro probably had to find another angle.  Witness this press release.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:44 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19 PM »
The whole "Fan Favorite Re-Issues" spin by Hasbro is hilarious.  As if they really give a hoot about fans...
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 11:22 PM »
If they'd at least mixed up the assortments yeah, but like Jeff pointed out...  It's cases already established, and some nobody wants.  Lame.

Now will the retailers even buy them?  Retail didn't want this stuff last year.

I'm at least glad the Fleet Trooper's listed.  I want more and couldn't find them.

No INC's is a huge disappointment, but imagine THAT case coming out.  That was a particularly large **** sandwich of an assortment.  So was Wave 2, as much as I'd love more of the A-Winger and Cracken.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30 PM »
Now will the retailers even buy them?  Retail didn't want this stuff last year.

Someone pointed out to me that this may have already started... this could be the reason that TRU/Walmart have suddenly been getting in those Red Bandana Kithaba cases the last couple weeks.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Yeah.  The absence of the Imperial Naval Commander and Emporer's Royal Guard are pretty glaring if you're going to call this wave "Fan Favorites".

Feedback

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 11:37 PM »
The whole "Fan Favorite Re-Issues" spin by Hasbro is hilarious.  As if they really give a hoot about fans...

It's typical corporate BS spin, but the honest alternatives ("Star Wars: The Leftover Collection" or "We Screwed Up, Big Time Assortments") probably wouldn't sell the product too well.  :D

I've said this on a few other sites, so I'll say it here as well. Maybe, just maybe, if these TVC "favorites" sell well Hasbro might do additional production runs for rarities from 2010 and 2011, as well as the online wave army builders.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 12:11 AM »
I think this "recalibration" of what was originally to be the hiatus of TVC at the end of 2012 can be an indication of something we've seen before with the Saga (SWS) line's "Hall of Fame" assortment, a majority of the OTC line, and the "Greatest Battles" and "Heroes & Villains" assortments for the TSC line. Those were all stop-gaps for the lead up to EIII merchandise glut and the kick off of TAC which had a sizable marketing push.

I think with the announcement of more films and the acceleration of the 3D releases, a ton of Hasbro's resources are going to have to go to the development of all new product for Episode VII and to ensure that the distribution issues of the past few years get worked out of the system. I expect we will see very little "new" product until later in 2013-14 and even then, the "new" stuff will be old stuff in new packaging (a la Movie Heroes) with a few new sculpts and repaints sprinkled in.

Just a theory.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:34 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 12:17 AM »
So what you're saying is that 2014 could essentially be the 10th Anniversary OTC line - 7 new figures and 33 repacks on OT-themed cards!   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 12:36 AM »
At $10 a pop still?  I sure hope not.  Otherwise, loadsa money saved on my end.  :-\  Could be a long hiatus from collecting.

Then again...  hmmm...

Always eye Sideshow stuff and don't buy.  Just admire from afar.  Lego too.  My life could change dramatically in terms of the crap I have to collect all my dust I spread around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52 AM »
I could see Hasbro basically punt in 2014 but I hope not.  If they do let the VC figures ride until the middle of 2013 and then roll out the new BaD figures we've seen, they could use late 2013 and 2014 to do a couple of waves of OT and PT characters from their parking lot to sort of clear them out to concentrate on Sequel Trilogy figures from there on out. 

The easier approach, of course, would be just to re-pack a lot of crap in 2014 and basically not do any new tooling.  If they put out the right characters it could work, but I don't trust them to do that, they'll keep Maul, Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan and Anakin in the mix, and we really don't need any more of them, basically, ever.  Or at least until they've had a good break.

Jeff might be onto something though, about the figures that have recently started showing up at WM and TRU again.  This plan may already be in motion and that's why we're seeing them.  I guess it's always possible that Hasbro worked with the retailers, said they'd hold onto the new stuff and maybe gave them a deal on the VC stuff so they'd take them.  Might be better for Hasbro to cut a deal with the big 3 retailers rather than cutting a deal with the Five Below, TJ Maxx/Marshalls, Ross type stores.

"Fan favorite" is definitely marketing spin but really, there are some good characters in those cases.  Some good army builders, Vizla, Tarkin, Anakin, Luke...they're good figures and from reading the forums, it seems like there is still room in the market for more.  Lot of people haven't seen some of these and even though they've been online, you have to think that there are still collectors out there not on the forums and that don't order online and they've probably not haid their fill of these yet.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Could this be a way for Hasbro to keep the pegs stocked until they can actually ship a real "fan favorite" wave that they are working on? If they don't have anything to ship, the stores will fill the pegs with something else and then when they offer them the "fan favorite" wave, the stores won't have anywhere to put it so they won't order. Kind of like what they do when they release a repaint wave.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Yeah.  The absence of the Imperial Naval Commander and Emporer's Royal Guard are pretty glaring if you're going to call this wave "Fan Favorites".

And Darth Malgus and Echo Base Trooper

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06 AM »

These are all must re-issues. Bastila Shan as well.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »

These are all must re-issues. Bastila Shan as well.

Excellent additions to the list of the unrepresented.  It just goes to show that this is a case dump by Hasbro, and not what they're calling it.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Hey!  It's "fan-favorites" for the kiddies now, not us adult collectors.  :-*