Author Topic: Star Wars comics go back to Marvel  (Read 10041 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars comics go back to Marvel
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:17 AM »
They can bring back Jaxxon!

Pick-up where the vintage Marvel run ended, bad art and poorly conceived  new enemies.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2014, 01:10 PM »
And now it's official.

The Walt Disney Company's Lucasfilm Ltd. and Marvel Entertainment are joining forces to bring new Star Wars adventures to readers across the galaxy, with Marvel granted exclusive rights to create and publish Star Wars comics and graphic novels beginning in 2015.

The agreement marks a homecoming for the Star Wars comic books. Marvel Comics published the first Star Wars comic book, Star Wars #1, in March 1977, which went on to sell more than 1 million copies. Marvel Comics published its Star Wars series for nine years. In 1991, Dark Horse Comics took over the license, publishing fan favorite titles like Dark Empire and Star Wars: Legacy. Last year, Dark Horse released The Star Wars #1, an adaptation of George Lucas' original rough-draft screenplay for the film, garnering rave reviews and national media attention and ranking among the top-selling Star Wars comics of all time.

"Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had," said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing, Disney Publishing Worldwide. "In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe."

"We here at Marvel could not be more excited to continue the publication of Star Wars comic books and graphic novels," said Marvel worldwide publisher and president, Dan Buckley. "The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."

"We're incredibly excited by this next chapter in the Star Wars saga," said Andrew B. Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide. "Bringing together the iconic Lucasfilm and Marvel brands to tell new stories will allow us to continue to thrill lovers of the original Star Wars comic books and entertain generations to come."

Marvel has continued to push comic book publishing forward with innovations and experiments like motion comics and digital-only releases, in addition to its deep, ongoing catalog of monthly series and graphic novels created by some of the industry's most gifted artists and writers.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Surprise!  :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2014, 02:02 PM »
And here's Dark Horse's statement.

Like others have said, not much of a surprise.  Made sense to let Dark Horse keep status quo going in 2013/early 2014 while Disney transitioned things and it makes sense to use the upcoming movies to kick off the new Marvel era.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2014, 02:15 PM »
So, that leaves DH with Conan, Hellboy, & Terminator?  It was nice knowing you, Dark Horse.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Just wondering what will happen with the new post ANH series.  I like it a lot and would like it to continue beyond another 12 issues or so

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2014, 06:25 AM »
Just wondering what will happen with the new post ANH series.  I like it a lot and would like it to continue beyond another 12 issues or so

It would be cool if they would just continue it under the marvel brand - sort of how IDW is handling GIJoe and Transformers retro storylines.  But if I had to put money down, I'd bet all the DH titles get cancelled in favor of new #1's.  Everyone seems to prefer to release an issue with a #1 on it these days anyway.   :P

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I love the current Star Wars series set post ANH.  I really hope Marvel keeps it going with the same creative team.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2014, 01:19 AM »
I love the current Star Wars series set post ANH.  I really hope Marvel keeps it going with the same creative team.

I agree, the Legacy Volume 2 stuff is good as well, but I think they are ending it soon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 1, 2014, 08:41 AM »

I just can't see that happening.  It would be odd to see the whole team jump ship like that.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2015, 12:31 AM »
Heads up: Marvel Star Wars #1 drops Wednesday the 14th. That's next week!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Heads up: Marvel Star Wars #1 drops Wednesday the 14th. That's next week!

With a slew of different covers to choose from as well. 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/06/star-wars-1-has-over-100-variant-covers-printed-out-next-week/

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00 PM »
Just finished Issue 1. Great stuff! It really "felt" like something out of the OT, with snippy dialogue between Han and Leia, Threepio doing his thing, etc.

I ended up getting three variants. ::) Regular mass produced version, the Vintage Luke action figure cover and the variant with Jaxxon.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 01:10 PM »
The Jaxxon cover is hilarious.