Author Topic: 2013 Droid Factory = Dead  (Read 30165 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Legacy Collection Rumors
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2013, 12:44 AM »
I'm not sure how to feel either. I didn't really care that much for the selection of figures but I think I was looking forward to the TPM pegwarmers finally being removed from stores and being replaced with new stock. I just hope that sometime soon Hasbro can give us details on what exactly is going on and not give the usual lame excuses.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 6, 2013, 11:17 AM »
After digesting the news for a few days, this announcement is starting to make more sense.  And it's for a range of reasons.

A few months back we heard Hasbro acknowledge that the Episode I TVC wave created this huge logjam in the distribution system.  And a side-effect of that logjam was that there were warehouses filled with cases of the waves that followed that TPM wave that would not get to retail.  What did Hasbro offer on that front?  They talked about offering some of these waves via discounters, but so far I've only seen figures from 2011 at chains like 5 Below.  Are we really going to see 2012 TVC figures at 5 Below or TJ Maxx/Marshalls?  Because if we do, Hasbro is going to take a bath on these figures!

And then there was the announcement of "TVC's GREATEST HITS".  It's pretty easy to see that this is a ploy to get some of those older 2012 cases out to retail.  The figure lineups pretty much confirmed that.

How will this likely play out?  I get the sense that Hasbro will use the first half of 2013 to try to right the ship.  Get those 2012 TVC figure cases out to retail and clear up the distribution system.  I think that the discount chain avenue for 2012 TVC figures may have been shot down by someone higher up at Hasbro who saw how much that would have hurt their bottom line.  So how do you clear out all of these older cases?  Get them out to your core brick & mortar retailers who barely got them in the first place!  And repair retail relationships with chains like Walmart that have been shrinking your shelf space.

That probably means that the new figures that we thought were in the pipeline for Spring '13 will probably be pushed back to July/August '13.  And that release schedule will jibe much better with the 3-D release of Attack Of The Clones which comes out in the fall.  As for the Droid Factory packaging sample that we saw from SDCC?  I get the sense that Disney's licensing arm may have offered some "guidance" to Hasbro about the packaging look.

And then there's the announcement of Episode VII in 2015.  For Hasbro to launch a toy line that's going to be ready for retail by March 2015, they need lead time of 2 years to 18 months.  Development of a figure alone can take about 1 year.  But a full toy line?  That's another thing.  Hasbro's team needs to get started on development of that line within the next few months.  This is very likely a major factor into Hasbro's organizational plans for Star Wars this year and 2014 as they start getting ready for the E7 line.  Especially if they're planning on an E7 Preview wave like we saw for both Episode 2 & 3.  IIRC, those were released 2 - 3 months before the movie line debuted.

But overall, I think this is a reset period that is being used to right some of the wrongs of the past year+.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 6, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I think they are gonna take a bath on some amount of TVC regardless. Time to make value-two packs or something.  Not that glue or taped cards will make a lot of us happy, but...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #33 on: January 6, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Couldn't have happened at a better time, my baby is due any day now.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 6, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Couldn't have happened at a better time, my baby is due any day now.  ;D

Must be something in the NY area water (and for those that know me, no I'm not talking about a new addition for our family).
« Last Edit: January 6, 2013, 03:12 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Official word (say this at the 'Scum)

From Hasbro P/R:

Star Wars fans,

The Droid Factory line which was slated for spring 2013 has been cancelled. We were very excited about this line at its inception and wanted to give fans an early sneak peek when we unveiled it at Star Wars Celebration this past summer. Unfortunately since then, through the course of development, we realized that the price would have to be increased and we felt that the value we were adding with the droid parts was no longer substantiated.

As a result, we have decided to rework our 3.75” figure program to create a line that is on-par with the quality and pricing of the Vintage Collection. Many of the figures intended for the Droid Factory will become available in this new line in the fall. We’ll be able to share more news on this at Toy Fair.

We also recognize that there were many hard-to-find Vintage Collection figures in 2012. So, as we shared last December, we will re-release many of these figures this spring before the Vintage Collection goes on hiatus, making way for some of the most exciting new initiatives for SW collectors in years.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm.

So they are attributing it to not wanting a rise in prices. Well...*^@#&&!*...I'd guess build a droid is never returning then. That will make it easier to pass on a lot of figures, though.

And VINTAGE is still going on hiatus. This is no surprise to me.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Droid Factory = Dead
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2013, 09:41 AM »
I wonder how long before we start seeing Ebay sellers Viperskingdom or Tunghori start getting there hands on these figures?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 7, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I want to know what they are planning to do with the Clone Wars line this year. Are they going to suspend that line for seven months too?

That would seem crazy because there is no associated "cost increase" with that line, we have already seen packaged photos, and the show is on the air right now for several more months.

You simply cannot find any figures on the pegs around here anymore outside of 2012 Wave 1. I am so sick to death of seeing the same Anakins, Plo Koons and Mace Windus everywhere I go. I was really hoping they would start clearancing this swag out ASAP to make room for the new line look. Now I'm wondering if that will ever happen.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I got that same PR note this AM.  I am glad that they finally issued a full release.

RIP Build-A-Droid pack-in.  Hopefully some day they will find a way to bring it back again...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2013, 10:29 AM »
What I find in the release of this statement is that prices will be going up regardless. I don't think there has been a time where Hasbro has said that they were doing things to keep the retail cost down and have it not go up anyway.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: January 7, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Because things did so well in 2012 at $9.99, and with paint aps cut to the basics for the most part.  Oh well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 7, 2013, 07:10 PM »
What I find in the release of this statement is that prices will be going up regardless. I don't think there has been a time where Hasbro has said that they were doing things to keep the retail cost down and have it not go up anyway.

Yeah, that is my concern too.  I find the price/value piece an odd rationale.  And one that just does not ring true to me.  Maybe the projected costs for sustaining the line beyond 2 waves could be understood.  I imagine all of these early waves were sunk costs.

Honestly, I just hope they provide a good explanation and an exciting plan moving forward.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #42 on: January 7, 2013, 07:40 PM »
The cost issue is ominous. I think there has to be some consideration of the fact that costs may actually price collectors out of existence. They may price the Sequel toys out of any chance of vitality as well (what will MSRP be in 2015? $11? $12? $15?). That being said, I appreciate Hasbro looking to avoid costs but as they've stated before the droid pieces/gimmacks/doodads add negligble cost to the product, and are they to offset perceived reduction in value. So this explanation makes little sense.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 7, 2013, 07:49 PM »

Yeah, the Battle Packs are probably the best example of diminishing value with rising prices that Hasbro has tried over the years, and I sadly see that becoming the rule rather than the exception. 10 bucks a figure is already pushing it way too far, IMO, so the implication that prices will probably go up again (or at least stay at current levels with even further reduced paint apps and articulation) has me hoping for a more extended break than this to be honest.

I can see Hasbro doing an entire line of Movie Heroes repacks from now until Episode VII (with the Droid Factory figures already tooled mixed in and Mara Jade offered as another Jocasta Nu-type exclusive) since I'm assuming they'll have to work quick on those toys. With the lead time necessary on toys, Hasbro would have to have finished concept art and actor names and likenesses in their hands right now and with Disney/LFL not even releasing a director for the film yet, I doubt that.

This might be what finally makes me wind down on my collecting days, at least where Hasbro is concerned. I've gotten all four of the Class I deluxe sets this week and its honestly felt like more of a chore than anything else. On the other hand, and I've said this before, Lego is giving me a great deal more enjoyment than I've had collecting Hasbro's stuff in a long time, plus Lego is doing new Clone Wars stuff (Z-95, Krell) that Hasbro doesn't seem to be interested in approaching. Oh well...just rambling out loud. I guess what I'm getting at is that not only is the break going to allow me to buy things that I enjoy more, it's also going to give me (and others I'm sure) the time and distance to figure out if and when I am going to continue buying Hasbro products period.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: January 7, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Yeah, basically "me too".

I'm winding down anyway, on collecting.  I buy what I like...  As it stands, I've not cared remotely enough to even make an effort to go to TRU to see those new Class I sets.  Much less buy one at their inflated price.

I like to keep an open mind, but IF prices go up I find little logic to it.  The line's done shittily at this price, so it's the wrong direction to go.  BAD as a concept gave me hope that, even if prices were $9.99, at least you got something extra.  You got something cool.

Now, $9.99 and no extra incentive...  eh, that was how it was the last little while so fine, whatever, the BS continues.  I hoped for better distribution so I could, at the very least, pick and choose since some of what they do I have little to no interest in but had to get it because I was forced to buy by the case this year.

So now the speculation of a price hike looming, again?  Hasbro seems to know the hikes have killed other segments.  $5 figures blow out the door...  Figures on sale at TRU fly off teh pegs...  So what makes you think another financial blow can be handled?  Not to mention that if you take quality down but keep prices as high as they are now (but stable), you're still NOT going to sell anything?

BAD as a line had me excited for the value...  When it was cancelled, I wasn't upset by the break, but what did bother me is that the additional value I was looking forward to is out the window.  Don't even make NEW toolings for the droids, just repaint the toolings you have so any perceived financial impact is bare minimum and you just have extra random droids to push sales to people.  I'm fine with that, even if they're paintjobs that don't jive at all with any EU or film droid.  I just like getting something extra for the already overly high price.

Now...  no droid, + possible price hike?  Lame.  It's speculation but that's what really the collecting world is these days, and so yeah, if that happens it sucks.  I've come to expect "that sucks" when it comes to the hobby anymore though.

I like many of the figures, but at this point new is obscure, and resculpts are all there are that are exciting.  New movies is more new, but I may not even like those, so I'm kind of on an emotional rollercoaster about how much I do, or don't, care about this hobby.

It's funny how I can think of things I'd buy, regardless.  The Speederbike got me at full price (and discounts for extras, but I bought one full price upon sight because it's glorious).  I can think of many, many things they'd do half-assed that I'd want but wouldn't pay the money for that they'd demand.  I can also think of many things they'd do half-assed that I'd be just as happy I didn't want it in the first place.

My "I'd buy that at any price" list is really, really short though.  And really obscure and/or unrealistic in terms of expectations.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77