Author Topic: 2013 Droid Factory = Dead  (Read 30167 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Droid Factory = Dead
« Reply #45 on: January 7, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Yeah, price increase was all that I got from that release. So basically no more vintage, no more B-A-D, and higher prices.

Just more of the same old, same old, and like the rest of you guys, probably a good time to bow out. There are only a handful of figures left that I want anyway, and I'd happily buy them, but I just can't take anymore "5 Sandtroopers a year" nonsense or resculpts of figures from 2008 that we didn't need because the version from 2008 was good enough as is.

And another thing that bugs me is that Hasbro is constantly touting price increases, yet other stores/lines are proving that their excuses are just that, excuses to charge more. We've seen 5 Below selling through cases of crap figures just because they're cheap. And why not buy them at such a low price? We have a local grocery chain here in Texas called HEB that has small toy sections, and they're constantly stocking Hasbro merch often, and at roughly $7 a figure too. That's the way I've scored several TVC figures, and TCW figures as well, and I've also seen some HTF Marvel stuff there as well. Kind of disproves Hasbro's excuses about them needing to charge more to cover shipping costs to WM and Target and TRU despite these places rarely restocking figures in 2012.

And look at the Hobbit toyline. Granted I've only seen it at TRU, and those figures are CHEAP (by TRU's standards) and for the price of a Star Wars figure you get a highly detailed, articulated figure with a decent amount of accessories, and 2-packs for just $5 more! And like Jesse said, that's another thing Hasbro is doing, dropping weathering and small paint apps along with accessories like individually sculpted vests, jackets, etc. All stuff Hasbro says would "up the price" even more, yet these lines are doing it with no hassle.

And even while LEGO is a bit more expensive than it was a few years ago, you still get awesome stuff with the sets that make the smaller, overpriced sets feel worth it, mainly in the form of minifigs. I don't think the Palpatine's office set is worth $90 but you get Palps, Sith Anakin and the Jedi that try to arrest him, all unique figures with unique details.

I understand they probably have to pay Lucasfilm and now Disney a pretty penny for rights, and more for likenesses to the actors, but there has to be some sort of breaking point. I always used to say "Oh I won't buy figures over $6" then "Oh I won't buy figures over $7" and so on but seriously... I'm out at MSRP over $10 other than a few things I really, REALLY want.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #46 on: January 7, 2013, 11:58 PM »
I hear what you're saying.  This really is an odd time for collecting.  I think that many factors...TPM toys flopping, and the Disney sale are really causing what's going on.
I'm cool with it really, because I could use half a year off.  I'm curious about what, if anything, will show up at ToyFair.  In truth, the Droid Factory 2013 line was one I was not very excited about, as there were no new characters in the mix.  Not even one.  I just can't justify buying another Anakin, or Clone just to get the droid.

Since I read this news about the line being cancelled, I have decided to put my efforts into my Star Wars room.  We moved into a new house last fall, and most of my collection has been boxed up. The only room I can use is a small one in the basement.  It's really small. It's hilariously small.  But when it's done it will be wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling figures, vehicles and ships.  My plan is to have it ready for May 25, which will be the 35th anniversary of SW!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: January 8, 2013, 12:23 AM »
That's a good point Mike, about the whole, "Buy another _____" figure.  That's frustrating too...  They crank out a whole lot of the same with tweaks here and there.

I mean, let's face it, there's a whole lot of nothing in any given wave.  Remember the days of bitching when Hasbro would do one whole wave of repaints that, by today's standards, are pretty great compared to the repacks they choose at times?  Kinda funny now looking back at figures like the Imperial Engineer and Red Naboo Tech guy.  Hated in their time, but actually higher quality than the same old OWK or QGJ or whoever stuffed into a case as "necessary filler".  Add in the need to deal with buying by the case and being stuck with that "necessary filler".  blah.

I'm not completely down on things, I just am souring on Hasbro.  I think retail f'd up 2012 more than they did, but they didn't help matters.  Now 2013's here, and they think the "greatest hits" Vintage scam is somehow grand news to us.  Well, most of us could give a ****.  I'm seeing that quite clearly.  We bought that stuff, by the case, last year.

Now I'm all for a break, so don't get me wrong there.  But Hasbro, make no mistake, you're not doing me a favor.  Not at all.  Doing me a favor would've been making cases of JUST the ACTUAL hard to find stuff.  But I digress.

Now, you're taking away BAD, a value-adder to the line.  That stings.  But also, there's I think solid speculation going on that a price-hike is once again looming over a line that has proven beyond doubt that price hikes are what is killing it.

Make no mistake, it's not discolored plastic, distribution, misshapen accessories, paint aps, or anything else.  It's all prices killing these toys.  $5 sells.  $7 sells.  $10 doesn't.  Just like, oh, say, $30 doesn't sell a small ship.  Or $130 a big one.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll buy some stuff I like, but I'm equally sure I'll be passing on a lot more stuff I'm sure I would've probably bought had it had droid parts packed in.  I mean, you can't pass repaints, repacks, and all the rest off as easily.  I used to buy that stuff!  In bulk!  BAD 2008/2009?  Yeah, I was buying figures I already had, just to complete droids I had almost done.

Now, money saved, I guess.  I try to just look at it as that.  I'll be much better off.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 8, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I think Disney wants to keep BAD a theme park only exclusive only. Hasbro could easily include pieces of those WDW figures in the packaging but that would cut into theme park sales.  Disney wants to put the concept at Disneyland too.

Hasbro also has unsold stock in warehouses that needs to move since stores don't stock star wars anymore. Even now, I see four identical figures on the shelves and they STILL refuse to stock even after Christmas. Does it have to be absolute zero in stock before a case is ordered? It wasn't always this way.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 8, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I'm not buying the Disney want's B-A-D to themselves until hard evidence backs it up. The rumor mill said Legacy was getting axed even before the deal with Disney was finalized. So advanced negotiations over  a theme park exclusive? Seems iffy.

Also, I'd think that the people, hard core collectors and casual vistors, going to the theme park to get B-A-D's is negligible in overall Disney profits. We are talking about just one theme park here, right?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: January 8, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Two eventually but yeah, I don't know if I buy the Disney thing either.  I've heard that rumor and just don't know  how much weight it holds.  You never know though, but for now I'm fine not considering that a factor.

I don't think there's a boatload of people going for Disney Parts either.  My local buddy's been my drug mule on those for me and let me use his discount.  I'm probably in a vast minority that cared.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 8, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Its always a little sad to see "our" line have things like this happen, as regardless of the reason a hiatus like this can't exactly be a great thing for the line.  For me, the break will be nice.  I spent more than I wanted to last year again, and I could use the break to just save up.  I guess the re-releases of vintage is good for those who missed it, but it seems like most collectors probably got these online via cases or sets or whatever by this point.  Could be a lot of stuff sitting on the pegs again this year, just due to it basically being "old" stuff - even if it was hard to find (or impossible) the first time around.

I'm not sure I buy either of the build a droid/Disney or pricing reasons for the death of this line.  I really think Hasbro got thrown for a loop with the combination of the disaster of 2012 (TPM backlog), the general slow down in action figure buying from non-collectors, the movement of the 3D releases, and the Disney acquisition.  They are probably scrambling a bit now, moving the AOTC heavy wave to the Fall (and likely adding in some ROTS themed stuff), and lining things up for the possibility of the 3D OT next year.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see an OTC type line next year, with a few new figures and a lot of repacks.  They have to start dedicating a lot of their resources to the new movie stuff with the first one scheduled for 2015.  If that date holds, I think that they'd want to be working on stuff already and there hasn't even been a single person cast yet.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 8, 2013, 09:59 PM »
I kinda wish I had known this bit of news before the TRU Buy-One-Get-One-50%-Off sale had ended - the only reason I hadn't upped my count of Speederbikes to 6 openers from 4 was because I was planning on getting a bunch of Droid Factory Biker Scouts (which was supposed to be the same sculpt as what's with the bike)....

Here's hoping TRU has another sale soon...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #53 on: January 9, 2013, 09:41 AM »
You should get more of the speederbike anyways...that thing is just, plain awesome.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 9, 2013, 09:56 PM »
I can't say I was too distraught by this news... in fact, I'm actually a bit relieved. I have always had mixed feelings on the whole "Build a Figure" concept. While I don't mind getting full waves and completing the BAFs, I hate the idea of missing one or two figures and having an incomplete BAF. Now that BAD is cancelled I don't have to worry about completing BAFs. In addition I'm sure all of the figures shown will make it out over the next two years so it's difficult to lose any sleep over the cancellation.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33 AM »
I got that same PR note this AM.  I am glad that they finally issued a full release.

RIP Build-A-Droid pack-in.  Hopefully some day they will find a way to bring it back again...  :-\

Hell, just take the droids and make them mail-aways... I'm not so worried about how they are distributed, I just want the figures to keep coming.

I did like this part of the release:

"rework our 3.75” figure program to create a line that is on-par with the quality and pricing of the Vintage Collection."

Sounds like we don't have to worry about those unarticulated battlepacks becoming the norm.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09 AM »
As I looked through my local Target's reset, it made me think about how bad a year Hasbro had last year in particular for boys toys.  Kre-o has been rotting for two years to the point where I see no shelf space dedicated at Target.  Spider-Man sucked for them.  Star Wars had distribution problems up the ying yang.  TPM did not take off, Battleship bombed, GI JOE got bumped.  Add it together and it is no wonder if the 3D releases and Disney just pushed the uncertainty beyond acceptable risk. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Good point.  Avengers was huge for them though, and I believe that one huge line can sometimes carry everything else.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Yeah, it seemed like it was just a crap year for action figures in general.  I can't say I was seeing that Batman stuff flying off the pegs either.  Aside from the Avengers stuff (which seemed to do great), and some of the more collector focused stuff (Marvel Legends seems to sell pretty well, but doesn't come in all that often), it seemed like a pretty slow year for action figures.  Lots of the same stuff on the pegs all year long between SW, Spidey, Batman, lack of Joes, etc.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2013, 02:24 PM »
I don't get the whole batman thing...the Nolan films are great, but do kids really watch or like these?  I'm pretty liberal about what I show my and 6 and 8 year old (we saw Raiders in the theater) but I would not let them see the Dark Knight.  The Joker is (awesome) terrifying, and psychotic.  I understand that "Batman" as a whole, sells, but are kids really clamoring for a Bane figure?