Author Topic: GI Joe Convention 2013  (Read 12012 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
GI Joe Convention 2013
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Stolen from Hisstank:

The 2013 JoeCon Brochure is now online including details of the G.I. JOE: Night Force Team - Nocturnal Fire Squad and the Cobra Demolitions Team!

"G.I. JOE: Night Force is a covert unit specializing in nighttime surveillance and defensive operations. Each team member has been selected for their enhanced skills, sophisticated hardware and advanced technology to surprise and vanquish any enemy!

This fan favorite and highly requested team contains several of the classic Night Force members and some new additions available for the first time in the modern era 25A style.

Our special edition Nocturnal Fire squad includes: Charbroil, Hit & Run, Muskrat, Psyche-Out, Repeater and Spearhead with Max (NEW Bobcat).

The Cobra Demolitions Team is ready to take on any obstacle that gets in their path of destruction. Led by the mysterious Cobra Mortal, he employs Cobra Letal and the deadly saboteur Crimson Asp (NEW female character). Their specialized troopers include: Cobra Frag-Vipers x 3, Cobra S.A.W.-Vipers x 3."

A box full of late 80s Joes and SAW and Frag-Vipers? Sold.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Convention 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be going to the Con this year.  Now, have to decide which package I'm going to get.  First thought is that I like the sounds of the 3.75" set the best but the 12" set may be the better deal.

Probably going to have to see if anyone wants to split a boxed/bagged set like last year. 

Still, the set sounds good and I'm really excited to be going again.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:08 PM »
There's sketches of some of the characters at an artist's facebook page or go to Hisstank.com.

It's no suprise that Crimson Asp is gonna be at least 30% recycled Baroness.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:42 PM »
It would be sweet if I can get a hold of a set without selling the farm

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04 AM »
A bunch of figures have been revealed already- Charbroil, Muskrat, Psyche-Out, Frag-Viper, Letal, and Cobra Mortal.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/joecon-2013-night-force-swamp-fighter-muskrat-11843/

I'm ambivalent about most of them so far, except the Frag-Vipers and (believe it or not) Psyche-Out. Hopefully Spearhead and the SAW Viper save it for me, though I'll bet I'll try to get this one depending on how the Homefront Heroes registration goes.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:45 PM »
I'm not as excited about this set as I was last year with the Oktober Guard.  I'm waiting to see what they have in the 12" set before I make a final decision.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Everything in the set's been revealed now. Really liking Asp, Repeater, and Spearhead, but man, was Hit & Run a miss. The SAW Viper isn't really doing anything for me either.

I'm wondering if I should skip this set and wait for ARAH-colored Joes in a future FSS and just buy a Frag-Viper off ebay.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15 AM »
I know Hit & Run probably isn't what most wanted but I think he looks pretty good.  Seems like they chose some good parts for him.  Spearhead isn't bad and I think they picked some good parts for Repeater...love that gun.  The Joes are all pretty solid (I'm cool on Charbroil though).

And I dig the female characters so I'm liking Crimson ASP.  I'm not feeling the other Cobra characters, though.  Letal, especially, is just way too green and out there for me. 

It's hard to decide if I want to spring $360 for this set when I really probably only want 4 of the figures.  And since I'd be getting the boxed set, it's not like I'm going to split them up.  Besides, I don't know if the figs I dislike would even generate enough interest to make it worth selling.

I'm still waiting to see the 12" set...they better post that before the registration goes live because I'm not buying, or passing on, a set that I haven't seen.

On the plus side, if the artwork that HissTank pointed out the other day is right, we'll probably see a female Joe pilot as a souvenir.

E...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56 AM »
I'm not going again this year (they seem to enjoy having this thing on the weekend closest to my kids' birthdays).

That Night Force Repeater is a thing of beauty though.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 12:34 PM »
I'm far from being a GI JOE collector anymore. But I see that SAW-Viper and think "I wouldn't even pay regular retail for that". The Frag Viper and Letal look like they are wearing spandex. Frag Viper was an oddball trooper and they've made them a little odder.

Some of the Joes look fairly good, but overall, I think it's a weak set this year. They used to be more creative, but there's a problem with alienating fans by having too much newness. So filling in gaps with  less popular cobra army builders, vintage subteam figures and oddball foreign characters that have yet to have modern versions.

Also, Cobra women always look like Baroness wannabes, except Zarana and Zanya. Sure they are limited by existing molds, but I think there's enough parts to do something different.

But anyway, this set's not for me. I'm just at best, a casual enthusiast of GI JOE.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of this set. The parts choices seem very good for the figures (except for the Frag Vipers... that body is iffy), but the paint kills it for me. I realize the Vintage figures are the inspiration, but some of the colors seem extra vibrant. I also don't like the mishmash of Cobras... it looks like GI Joe vs. a bag of Skittles. Overall the set appears to be a lazy effort, especially for the price... or maybe I've been spoiled by POC/30th.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 04:44 PM »
If you guys didn't already know, the registration is up.

And, I'm registered!  All signed up for the General's Package, which is the 12" set, and the movie ticket to Retaliation for Friday night.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Two weeks away from the Convention!  Anyone else here going?

I plan on posting coverage of the Convention again this year.  We're getting in on Friday afternoon so with the movie that night I probably won't have anything up, other than Twitter posts, until later in the day.  I'll also be covering the Hasbro panel live on Saturday morning...possibly via CoveritLive but definitely by Twitter if not.  And photos of the booth and slides shortly after.

If anyone has questions for Hasbro, post them and I'll see if I can get them answered.

E...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 5, 2013, 12:51 AM »
It's on! Lots of really cool stuff, including the Night Boomer:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/conventions-9/joecon-2013-night-boomer-glow-in-the-dark-box-12105/

I was really hoping TRU would get this as an exclusive, but once Night Force was announced as this year's theme I knew this would show up there. I'd love to have one, but it's $250 already on ebay. Time to get that can of Krylon and open one of my boxed Skystrikers, I guess.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2013, 03:02 AM »
That actually is fairly cool...  dunno if you can make glow in the dark stickers, but it'd be worth looking into.  That is pretty slick.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77