Author Topic: Toy Fair 2013  (Read 28900 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Fair 2013
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Here's a Q "I was reading that Iron Man figures were going to be 6:00, and have less articulation.  Is this the way that SW is going?"

Personally, if they did this with style, like the Bespin Luke fro the recent Battle Pack, I'd be ok with it.  If they made the main line, simpler, and more cost effective, and then 20-25 Vintage style figures a year, I think that would be good.

I've read that too, but preorder cases that I've seen adds up to $10 per figure...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 12:39 PM »
4.) There still appears to be strong demand for some kind of modular Death Star playset.  Can you tell us if anything like this is on the horizon or even under consideration? 

This is when they laugh and tell us that this is a stupid idea.  Because they have proven time and again that they know exactly what they're doing, and we need to quit asking for dioramas/playsets. 

...I'm so sick of Hasbro's ********.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 01:30 PM »

3.) Is there any chance we will see a return of the comic packs in the near future?  These seem to be selling well in the Marvel Universe line and there are some great new characters to be made from some of the great Dark Horse material and other sources in recent years.

i would be shocked if this happens. it works for MU because they just reuse the same mold all day, everyday.

But hey it works for MO - and I love it!   ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27 PM »

3.) Is there any chance we will see a return of the comic packs in the near future?  These seem to be selling well in the Marvel Universe line and there are some great new characters to be made from some of the great Dark Horse material and other sources in recent years.

i would be shocked if this happens. it works for MU because they just reuse the same mold all day, everyday.

But hey it works for MO - and I love it!   ;D

I'm doubtful as well - just wanted to keep bugging them about it.  The squeaky wheel eventually gets oiled.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16 PM »
I'm a little disappointed witht he new Class I sets as well...  not even just paint, but the direction in general.  I've soured a little even on the Yoda fighter over time.  Again, not paint, but the concept.  For me, the ship's too small to be practical as a starfighter.  To me, the original design of that ship was kind of pushing the limits of a fighter and I was glad it needed a separate hyper ring.  In the OT then the A-Wing is similar, cutting edge fighter technology, and has progressed to include a smaller hyperdrive and things.  Whole side topic there.

Anyway, So that Anakin to Vader looks a lot to me like they're ALREADY looking to resculpt and redo the light-up saber Anakin and Vader.  I couldn't be less interested if they tried to specifically look at me as a person, and design something I wasn't interested in.

As far as reducing articulation...  I'm only in favor, at this point, with a SIGNIFICANT price reduction.  Not $8, not $7...  5 POA is a $5 figure to me, at best.

I don't think every figure needs Super articulation...  Again, I'll cite figures like the OTC Death Star Gunner.  A really perfect figure, top to bottom, for the most part.  He's far from SA though.  Lacking ankle joints, and having simple angle-cut elbows, he's just not SA.  But he works in every way.  He's a figure I love to still pick up.

Likewise his AT-AT Driver counterpart.  Same deal.  I can deal with figures like that for sure.  But as far as I'm concerned Hasbro's regressed the line more than enough.  The paint aps are often a joke at this point, and the accessory count is nowhere near what it used to be.  Some still get a nice treatment, but they're the exception and not the rule now.

I think there's room to drift away from SA, but not without price reductions.  Right now you get a premium price and a fairly premium toy for it (paint aps and frequently impressive accessories aside).  Take away the rest of the "premium" feel and the price not budging?  Sorry, but **** that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:22 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Here's a question, with a statement proceeding it.  "I understand that as toys get more expensive, Hasbro is looking for ways to men less expensive product.  Less articulation, and less accessories seem logical.  But what does Hasbro have in mind to keep the adult collector interested?"

Also,

"It seems that the Clone Wars line is essentially dead, with "real" looking CW sculpts appearing in the main line.  There are so many wonderful designs on the show, are there any plans to do characters other than lead characters?  The Bounty Hunters in that show would make excellent, action oriented figures."
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Here is a question for you. Disney just announced Disney Infinity video game. This is basically a figure collecting game like Skylanders but with the world building aspect of Minecraft. Are there any plans to include Star Wars in the Disney Infinities series of action figures?

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/disney-infinity-figures-announced/
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Rebelscum has some info

No figure reveals until NY Toy Fair.  :(

Movie heroes wave 1 will have light up saber Anakin, sandtrooper, red exploding Battle Droid, Evolutions Jango (what, a good figure?), electronic R2,  action feature Maul, spinning Yoda, light up saber Vader, and  a terrible Obi-Wan. IIRC, we knew about those last year. (No packaged pics)

Anakin to Vader seems to be a 12" figure, which explains the high price point listed. The light up saber's  color depends on if it's Anakin or Vader.

Some licensed products sport new "Vader reaching out"/ROTS package design. They'll mesh with your 2005 stuff.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:18 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:29 PM »
RS was a little late to the party on the packaging news, but I digress. JediNews has some definitive info regarding the packaging and the the 12" Anakin to Vader - complete with high-res shots of the figure and packaging mockup.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Wonder if that Vader/Ani is really just a beefier version of their doomed-to-failure 12" figures surfacing in Canuckia?  Going with what I bet are rotocast figures might be an optimal way to decrease costs and get product on shelves.  3.75" could take a back seat to new 12" ventures?

Believe it or not, it can be a much more cost-effective venture, to go with 12"...  provided they survive a single year of releases since Hasbro's stuff is crap.  12" is shockingly different in terms of manufacture costs, where you have to have them made, and other things.

Anyway, yeah, out of UK Toy Fair, I see absolutely nothing I care about.  Not one thing.  The packaging choice looks sad, the figure isn't in my wheelhouse, and yeah...  oh well.  I'm not unhappy about that.

The Jango, that may just be what's available.  The other figures may just be at a factory that has THAT figure, and that's why they're going that route.  There's all those little variables as to why they chose one direction over another.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 12:39 AM »
Looks like crap.  Pass.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 05:55 AM »
Yeah, that all looks terrible.

What's worse is that it's blatantly obvious that this is a PERFECT time to hop off, yet I just can't pull the plug. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07 AM »
So far we seem to have unanimous agreement that the new line look is horrible. What the hell were they thinking? I swear to God they must have a bunch of monkeys running that place.

Pinball machines?!?! Freaking marbles?!?!

Did those guys just wake up from a 30 year coma?

This whole thing reeks of failure and desperation. Stop throwing good money after bad and chasing the next stupid fad...just concentrate on what you (used to) do well - making some damn action figures.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 09:18 AM »
The Pinball game and marbles (Dagedar) aren't Hasbro products.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I have no problem with the "fad" stuff.  If Angry Birds or Dagadar bring in a lot of cash for Hasbro then they should have wiggle room for the figures.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com