Author Topic: 6 Inch Figures?  (Read 47015 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
6 Inch Figures?
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:06 AM »
It seems that 6 inch figure rumors are floating around, with RS just posting something interesting.  Rumor is that  Gentle Giant and Hasbro who do Marvel Legends together ( is that right?) might have some Star Wars figures in the works.

At this point, I'm totally cool with that idea.  I've always wanted to see larger, well articulated figures.  And while what I love about the 3 3/4 is that the character selection is deep,  I know that larger figure collection won't get into obscure characters.  So, going into I know it will be somewhat limited.  I'm very curious about this if it comes up.  Who knows, maybe there will be some Toy Fair surprises.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 6 Inch Figures?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33 AM »
There have been so many rumors since the Droid Factory Melt-Down.
- Hasbro is developing in-house 6" line for collectors
- Hasbro is moving to 6" scale for Episode VII
- Hasbro is letting Disney do a 6" line exclusive to their parks/stores
- Hasbro/GG team up for Star Wars Legends line

There has been a lot of smoke, it will be interesting to see if there is any fire... or more accurately, where that fire is located - regular retail or the Disney parks/stores. :P

And, I'll just go on record again that if they do a 6" line, I'm just not interested.  I'm too old to start over, especially at the $15/16 price point that these would invariably have.  More power to those that would buy, but not me.  I don't have the room.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Something about their story doesn't sound right. I don't ever remember hearing the GG was involved with Legends. Diamond Select does the Marvel Select 6-7" figures though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:39 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I saw the RS post.  Let's wait and see. 

After this Droid Factory fiasco, the scaling down of the starfighter vehicle line, and the shrinkage of Star Wars shelf space at retail, do we REALLY believe that Hasbro is going to double down on Star Wars and launch a new scale of figures?  And mind you, this is IN ADDITION to the 12" figure line that has just started showing up at retail?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I don't think a new scale is difficult to believe.  It's a way to up the price point and get people to buy figures they already have.  I won't be at all surprised to see this, but I be they hold off until we're closer to the movie years.

Personally, I'm going to skip them outside of maybe a Fett or 1-2 other cool characters.  Redoing my Star Wars room has shown me I already have way more than enough stuf to display. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I feel like the Star Wars action figure line should be 3 3/4" scale, since that is sort of what started it all - and at this point, many people have so much invested in that scale with figures, vehicles, beasts, playsets, and displays in general.  That being said, I've been thinking for awhile that a 6" collector line would probably come along at some point, and I'd be ok with that too.

Like everyone else, I'm low on display/storage space too so that would be a big consideration for me if this line came about.  However, I've been buying Marvel and DC stuff in that scale for years now, and do enjoy it (aside from the space they take up).  If they did a "Legends" style line, I think it should be kept very limited (20 or less per year), and if they came out of the gate with some OT characters (and they were well done, of course), I'll admit I'd likely bite on at least some of them.

Prior to the Disney/Episode VII announcement, I was sort of thinking that a Legends line might be the shot in the arm that the brand needed.  Now, it might be neat, but I would hope things would be back to 3 3/4" by the time the new movies hit (or, more likely, they'd have both scales running at once).  The one thing I would worry about some is that it seems like Hasbro is slowly shifting to the Mattel model with boys action figure lines, where they put out a cheap, small scale line "for kids" that is mostly crap and then have a more limited (and often harder to find) Legends scale line for "collectors".  I know when we get to the point of the new trilogy (and its toys) hitting, I'd be most interested in the 3 3/4" figures, vehicles etc., and I hope they don't start cheaping out on that line.  Figures like the BP Bespin Luke are one thing (despite the lack of articulation), but if things start looking like the Ultimate Spider-Man, Dark Knight Rises, Green Lantern, or upcoming Iron Man 3 stuff (that we've seen) in that scale, yikes.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54 AM »
While I don't know enough about it, this is what I am thinking.  The money examples I am going to give are only examples......perhaps tooling a 3/34 figure costs 1.00, and production costs 1.00 but that figure will cost 9.99 at retail, but few people want to spend 9.99 on a 3/34 inch figure.  Maybe 6 inch tooling is 1.20, and production is 1.20, but they can charge 12-15 and no one blinks.  It really might just come down to profit margin.  Hasbro is always talking about "perceived" value, like all the packs in and crap. Perhaps a new scale, even though expensive, would seem to be of much higher value.

Again, I am speculating out my ass.

For me, right now,  I'm not going to buy most 3/34 figures unless they are at least 50% new sculpt.  So, something new might be pretty cool. Granted I will always buy new 3 3/4 figs.  But they seem to be less and less these days.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Like Brian, I would probably buy a few OT characters (Luke, Han, Vader, R2) in a larger scale just for the novelty, but no way I could go all in on a new scale. I don't even have enough room for 3.75 inch figures anymore, and the last few waves are boxed up in my closet waiting for me to find time to get new shelves.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:42 PM »
I won't buy into a new scale like that of basically the same figures we have, just larger.  I want what's left to be made in 3.75" and to see an improvement on what's out there already.

And I can't say I didn't see this coming if it pans out.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I hope this news pans out, and I hope 6" figures do replace/become the "collector line". I have no interest in the scale, but it would be a fantastic point for me to call it quits on Star Wars. I have a long list of toys from previous years I want to pick up, and it's hard to do that while keeping up with new stuff. With a scale change, I would have no reservations about focusing 100% on older stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58 PM »
I think I'd really lean to customizing more.  I've always figured I'll get back to it more when I'm older and the line's in the *******.

a shift to a new scale would make me also look at older figures more favorably and buy up stuff I want.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 02:08 PM »
If it goes this route (saying bye-bye to the 4" scale), I might pick up the Bounty Hunters for sure and the ANH Heroes and villains.  But I'm not going to go all-in to a scale.  :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I would buy the Fleet Trooper, Tarkin, and Bossk...  Gotta load up Bossk's Bungalow.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Wow, the initial reaction towards a prospective 6" line is pretty negative (at Rebelscum, here, etc.).  What baffles me are the comments from collectors saying they don't want to "start over."  Who says you have to?  Why can't you continue to collect 3.75" figures AND (gasp) 6"?!  Nobody had to "start over" when they released Unleashed figures, did they?  You pick up what you like, it's that simple.   

Highly detailed, super articulated 6" figures of Star Wars characters?  Count me in, especially with regards to OT characters.  Start the line off on the right foot and begin by offering Boba Fett and Darth Vader, and you got a deal.  My only worry is what the retail price and availability will be.     
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:53 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:38 PM »
What baffles me are the comments from collectors saying they don't want to "start over."  Who says you have to?  Why can't you continue to collect 3.75" figures AND (gasp) 6"?!  Nobody had to "start over" when they released Unleashed figures, did they?  You pick up what you like, it's that simple.   

I can't speak for everyone but when I said, "I'm too old to start over", I didn't mean literally start over from scratch and abandon all that came before.  I guess I meant, "I'm too old and too invested in 3.75" to start buying a new scale at this point in my life."

I'm not saying it's a terrible idea for Hasbro to try a 6" line.  I'm just saying that I don't have any space in my budget or my Star Wars room for a new 6" figure display, and I'm not interested in buying something if I can't display it. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender