Author Topic: 6 Inch Figures?  (Read 47010 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Inch Figures?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Wow, the initial reaction towards a prospective 6" line is pretty negative (at Rebelscum, here, etc.).  What baffles me are the comments from collectors saying they don't want to "start over."  Who says you have to?  Why can't you continue to collect 3.75" figures AND (gasp) 6"?!  Nobody had to "start over" when they released Unleashed figures, did they?  You pick up what you like, it's that simple.   

Highly detailed, super articulated 6" figures of Star Wars characters?  Count me in, especially with regards to OT characters.  Start the line off on the right foot and begin by offering Boba Fett and Darth Vader, and you got a deal.  My only worry is what the retail price and availability will be.   

My thinking is that if 6" figures are coming, they will be a replacement for the 3 3/4" collector-oriented line. I can't see Hasbro making both. A lot of others must be thinking the same way, hence all of the "starting over" attitudes. That being said, I have no problems whatsoever if 6" figures are indeed a replacement. I think it's exactly the type of change the line could use: a fresh restart beyond a simple packaging change. I really like Hasbro's 6" Marvel movie figures, and I imagine they would do a great job with Star Wars releases in that scale. I'm sure I would be tempted, but would ultimately refrain from buying.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02 PM »
I hear ya Greg.  Even if the 6" line has some great offerings, personally, I plan to set up a small, modest collection, mainly comprised of main characters from the OT (ie Luke, Vader, Fett, Han, Chewie, Leia, R2, 3PO), due to space constraints.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...

Indeed, it's challenging to simultaneously collect from multiple toy lines.  It makes it harder to keep focus, not to mention the additional time and money spent acquiring items.  However, many collectors are able to do it successfully, whether collecting SW figures and Lego items, SW figures and Marvel Universe figures, SW figures and Sideshow, and so on. 

With regards to my collecting habits, I've narrowed my focus to mostly OT figures/ships, so it wouldn't be hard for me to juggle a potential 6" line on the side.  If the 3.75" line is ditched (which I really feel is highly unlikely since it's been going strong for so long, not to mention it's what Star Wars collectibles are identified with), it wouldn't be a big deal to me.  I'm happy with what's been offered throughout the years.  Sure, I'd love a few more cantina aliens & Jabba's Palace goons, but I'm content with my collection.           
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:09 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21 PM »
My thinking is that if 6" figures are coming, they will be a replacement for the 3 3/4" collector-oriented line. I can't see Hasbro making both. A lot of others must be thinking the same way, hence all of the "starting over" attitudes.

Why would you assume that?  Hasbro has very successful Marvel lines in both the 4" and 6" scale.  DCU figures like Batman and Green Lantern have been released in both scales.  Heck, even Prince of Persia and Pirates of the Carribean had 4" and 6" lines.  I can't see Hasbro just dumping their existing line of 4" after 30+ years.  If/when they release 6" figures it will be an add-on to the 4" platform, not in place of it.

I think the comments around "starting over" are based on building another lineup of duplicate characters from scratch.  Even if they stick to core characters, you're essentially starting over with Luke, Han, Leia, Darth, etc.  Most of us just don't have the space to go that route en masse without displacing some of your existing collection.  I have a huge space in the house dedicated to Star Wars, but I cannot imagine where I would squeeze in a collection of new 6" figures.  Finding room for the new 4" will be difficult enough.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:48 PM »
This comes up in military hobbies...  1:32, 1:6, 1:12, 1:18...  There's been a lot of scale choices, and that's only 4 of many more (1:35, 1:16, etc.).

I think for many people, changing scales is ultimately collecting something wholely separate and new.  I know I view that with 1:6 and 1:16-1:20-ish (Star Wars is technically 1:20 for the most part).  For me, that's a whole new toy line...  It would  be tantamount to me going and saying I'm buying Hobbit/LOTR figures now.

Like Jeff said, I'm invested, heavily, in the 3.75" line and it's many hundreds and hundreds of figures.  Army building alone, I've got a ton tied up in this.  It's become the scale I like.  I WILL pick up a 1:6 figure here and there.  I DO collect other lines (Lego LOTR/Hobbit), but for Star Wars I'm a 3.75" scale guy or nothing for the most part.  I am dedicated to this.

I view this as nothing different than the Unleashed line...  neat looking at the time, but it was something else to take up room that is tough to justify.

And I do see it, if they are somewhat abandoning 3.75", as basically your choice is to start over or not.  Anyone can pick up what they want, but that usually leads to more and more, and before you know it, now you have a 3.75", 6", 12", and beyond collection of crap.

My crap collecting needed a cut off point, and my point was when they decide to change scales.  At that stage, I'm out.  I didn't buy Mighty Mugs, and all kinds of stuff like that, and this is just another thing I think I'm very much not into not because it would be bad...  I think it might be very nicely done.  I just know it's time to turn the faucet off with things like that.  I did the same thing with Clone Wars actually.  Hitting much closer to home, I bought only what would look ok on a realistic shelf and not too toony, and that was fine by me.

My only anti-6" opinion is that, as with anything, it takes away from what I actually DO like.  So has everything else they've ever tried though, when you think about it.  From 12" figures to Mighty Muggs and those beans, it could all be bs'd that it took $ from the main 3.75" line at the time.  If 6" kills 3.75" then so be it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I think the comments around "starting over" are based on building another lineup of duplicate characters from scratch.

Building a lineup of duplicate characters?  Interesting....

Given that collectors have like a dozen figures of Vader on their shelves, alongside a dozen figures of R2 and Chewie, etc., I hardly think purchasing duplicate characters is a valid concern.

Even if they stick to core characters, you're essentially starting over with Luke, Han, Leia, Darth, etc.  Most of us just don't have the space to go that route en masse without displacing some of your existing collection.

If they were announcing a 60" line of figures, I could understand.  But a small 6" collection of core characters?  Collectors find room for their grand clone armies and such, and yet, those same collectors are going to be concerned about making room for a single shelf of 6" figures?  Another invalid concern.       

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 08:16 PM »
I think it is valid...  I've devoted my shelving space to 3.75" figures.  Not 3.75" and now a set of 6" ones.

I'd probably buy Bossk...  Not sure on RFT or Tarkin, but I'd buy Bossk for my Bossk focus and call it a day on any 6" figure "collection", per se.

Not to mention I view it as money saved to avoid that and stick with 3.75".  I'd rather focus on customizing then, and sort of continue 3.75" figure collecting on my own, though that's only in the case of the 6" line killing 3.75"...  hypothetically.

I would also say the duplicate character argument...  it's all in your POV.  Me, I don't have many duplicates of teh same character, in the same outfit, on my shelving.  CW Ani, ROTS Ani, AOTC Ani...  Everyone's different enough.

Not counting army builders, of course.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Indeed, it's challenging to simultaneously collect from multiple toy lines.  It makes it harder to keep focus, not to mention the additional time and money spent acquiring items.  However, many collectors are able to do it successfully, whether collecting SW figures and Lego items, SW figures and Marvel Universe figures, SW figures and Sideshow, and so on. 

For me the potential redundancy of the 6" line is unappealing. I juggle a few different lines (Star Wars, GI Joe, Walking Dead, Marvel movie 6"), so while it wouldn't be a stretch to add in 6" Star Wars I would feel like I was collecting the same stuff twice. It's the same reason why I don't buy Hasbro AND Sideshow Joes, or Walking Dead figures AND Minimates. I prefer to focus on select formats/styles/sub-lines as opposed to picking and choosing from everything available.

My thinking is that if 6" figures are coming, they will be a replacement for the 3 3/4" collector-oriented line. I can't see Hasbro making both. A lot of others must be thinking the same way, hence all of the "starting over" attitudes.

Why would you assume that?  Hasbro has very successful Marvel lines in both the 4" and 6" scale.  DCU figures like Batman and Green Lantern have been released in both scales.  Heck, even Prince of Persia and Pirates of the Carribean had 4" and 6" lines.  I can't see Hasbro just dumping their existing line of 4" after 30+ years.  If/when they release 6" figures it will be an add-on to the 4" platform, not in place of it.

I don't think ALL 3 3/4" figures would go away, just the figures targeted towards collectors. I won't comment on the DCU Batman and Green Lanterns since I'm not familiar with those lines, but for POTC, TDKR, Green Lantern Movie, and now Iron Man 3 the 3 3/4" lines are very kid-targeted with the 6" figures aimed at collectors. As for Marvel Universe, it appeared to have been on the back burner for most of 2012 due to Legends. I only saw MU figures stocked in October and November, compared to ML which was stocked more regularly. I wouldn't want to see Hasbro try a similar balancing act for Star Wars, and considering their apparent lack of effort with the line I don't think they would bother giving it a shot.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I don't care if it happens, but it's not for me. I might grab some of the really cool looking designs like Vader and Fett, but they'd be slim. As with most, I'm invested in the 3.75" line. If it starts looking like Iron Man 3 figures then I guess thats it. I've got other lines I can move onto, especially if Bridge Direct starts making 3.75" LOTR figures.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I think it is valid...  I've devoted my shelving space to 3.75" figures.  Not 3.75" and now a set of 6" ones.

I'd probably buy Bossk...  Not sure on RFT or Tarkin, but I'd buy Bossk for my Bossk focus and call it a day on any 6" figure "collection", per se.

And see, that's the beauty of it.  Everyone will have a choice to pick & choose what they want from the 6" line.  I'm sure Hasbro won't force anyone to buy the entire line.  So if a collector has space issues, they can choose to only buy a few.  Or none.  Unless a collector lives in a cardboard box where space is ultra-limited, I'm sure collectors can manage to find enough room for at least a few 6" figs.     

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I don't know.  To me, my collecting space is limited...  I'm picky and it's ever-evolving, and as it evolves it looks more cluttered I've found, so I actually look for ways to pair it down, not make it worse.

And then back to it taking away from 3.75"...  I think it inevitably would.  It could to any number of varying degrees, from very little at all, to actually completely killing 3.75" collector-focused figures, but that's rampant speculation at this stage.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Given the state of things is a bigger, more expensive figure likely? That's the part I don't get. You have the entire action figure industry trending towards the traditional SW size the last few years, and now we're going to change it?

Me personally I wouldn't collect them. There would be the one or two obligatory buys (Jawas) but that would be it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I don't think the industry's trended downward.  6" is a very collectable-focused scale...  If anything I think Hasbro figures they could sell them for more to us in shorter runs, if anything.  Sort of changing the business model around.

Meanwhile a cheap 4" line runs alongside it for the kiddies.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56 PM »
And, I'll just go on record again that if they do a 6" line, I'm just not interested.  I'm too old to start over, especially at the $15/16 price point that these would invariably have.  More power to those that would buy, but not me.  I don't have the room.

I'm with Jeff on this one - if they decide to only do the Sequel trilogy figures in a 6" scale, I will both be EXTREMELY disappointed that I won't get those characters in the 3.75" scale AND kinda happy that I'll be able to pair my collecting of Star Wars down even further...

Also, keep in mind that any plan they have now, will eventually succumb to failure like every other scale they try and maybe after a year of 6", they'll be going back and doing 'em all over again in the 3.75" scale anyway...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 10:58 PM »
Mass market toys are scaling down - Transformers, Dr. Who, most recently - but there are still collector lines at larger scales. I think that's the problem though. For a small(ish) collector market, 6 inch or bigger is still viable. That's not where Hasbro or any toy manufacturer can live, at least with a licence like SW, when the costs are what they are. Maybe something changes or there's an aspect to making these that is more cost effective than not, but I just don't see it myself.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I think it depends on materials and styles...  Mego's a very good example of a larger, hyper articulated scale that's actually very cheap to manufacture.  The other possibility is the price point they're at...

6" is larger, but not terribly more expensive to make than 3.75", depending on how many individual parts, paint aps, and all the other things that go into any scale.  What they may be doing is setting a price point high enough to insulate them from potential shorter term cost increases.  $10 to $15 msrp may seem fair, but the reality is the average SW 6" figure manufactured similarly to the average SW 3.75" probably would cost virtually the same with minimal costs in materials for the larger size.